Movving back to Canada

Old May 27th 2024, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Techbrit76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Movving back to Canada

The question is I moved back from Canada in November 2023 to the UK am separated, and still hold a valid PR card for 12 years, Now I want to move back with my English girlfriend, and wondering what would be needed to allow her to move to Canada.

She has an Auntie living in BC, and also my girlfriend is a Teacher.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 27th 2024 at 6:59 am. Reason: To correct year
Old May 27th 2024, 4:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Movving back to Canada

Originally Posted by Techbrit76
The question is I moved back from Canada in November 2024 to the UK am separated, and still hold a valid PR card for 12 years, Now I want to move back with my English girlfriend, and wondering what would be needed to allow her to move to Canada.

She has an Auntie living in BC, and also my girlfriend is a Teacher.
What year did you move back? Let me know and I will change the year in your opening post.
Old May 27th 2024, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Moved back to the UK 2023
Old May 27th 2024, 4:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Moved back to the UK 2023
Your PR may be valid for 12 years, but that’s not your status - to maintain your PR status you must spend at least 730 days out of every rolling 5 year period in Canada.

Sp how long did you spend residing in Canada before you left in Nov 2023? And were you sponsored by your ex?

Re: your gf, her aunt is no help, and her profession isn’t likely to be either. Personal question I know but are you living together? If so, has that been since Nov 2023?

Old May 27th 2024, 4:41 am
Just Joined

I lived in Canada for 12 years and married for 13 years.

Currently not living together, we are looking at what steps are needed before we apply.
Old May 27th 2024, 6:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Canada for 12 years and married for 13 years.

Currently not living together, we are looking at what steps are needed before we apply.
Ok, so you need to either be married or have lived together for a year or more. And you must be living in Canada to sponsor her, as only citizens can sponsor from outside the country.

Just bear in mind that if you wanted to sponsor her as your common-law spouse (i.e. you’ve lived together for a year), you cannot break cohabitation. So you couldn’t leave her to go to Canada and then sponsor her, as she’d no longer be eligible. So marriage first may be your only option.

And do make sure you’re back in Canada in plenty of time to maintain your PR status.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 27th 2024 at 6:07 am.
Old May 27th 2024, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

......and still hold a valid PR card for 12 years.....
Maybe that changed now?

When I first came to Canada in 2003, PR cards were valid for something like 5 years.

After that they needed to be renewed, and one needed to provide something like 2 references as well? Not certain? Back then, I decided to apply straight for citizenship as I deemed that to be easier than to renew a PR card.
Old May 27th 2024, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Maybe that changed now?

When I first came to Canada in 2003, PR cards were valid for something like 5 years.

After that they needed to be renewed, and one needed to provide something like 2 references as well? Not certain? Back then, I decided to apply straight for citizenship as I deemed that to be easier than to renew a PR card.
They're still usually valid for 5 years, no references required though. I think the OP means he's had a PR card for the past 12 years (but presumably not the same one!).
Old May 27th 2024, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The guy said he is separated from his wife - not divorced.

Can't see that he can sponsor his girlfriend if only separated .......
Old May 27th 2024, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The guy said he is separated from his wife - not divorced.

Can't see that he can sponsor his girlfriend if only separated .......
Actually he can, if he sponsors her as a common-law spouse, there’s no requirement for him to be divorced in that case.

But as above, I think that would be tricky as he has to move back to Canada ahead of her which would break cohabitation and may mean she’s no longer considered his common-law spouse, so I think marriage is probably the only feasible option. Which yes, will mean divorce first.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 27th 2024 at 1:39 pm.
Old May 27th 2024, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Actually he can, if he sponsors her as a common-law spouse, there’s no requirement for him to be divorced in that case.

But as above, I think that would be tricky as he has to move back to Canada ahead of her which would break cohabitation and may mean she’s no longer considered his common-law spouse, so I think marriage is probably the only feasible option. Which yes, will mean divorce first.
Wow, being separated (not divorced) and then wanting to sponsor a 'common law spouse' would not be allowed for UK immigration. You either sponsor your wife or your fiance, and you need to be single to do so.
Old May 27th 2024, 2:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wow, being separated (not divorced) and then wanting to sponsor a 'common law spouse' would not be allowed for UK immigration. You either sponsor your wife or your fiance, and you need to be single to do so.
No income requirement either. Canada is a heck of a lot easier than most countries.
Old May 28th 2024, 8:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is the same. No requirement to be divorced, as long as you can show you are a de facto/common law couple, and no income requirement.
They even go one step further than Canada it seems, as a PR can sponsor s spouse while both are living offshore. Or if one is onshore and one offshore they can still be sponsored as long as they can show a reason why they are living apart - and not having a visa counts as a reason!

The UK is just so different that its almost baffling,
Old May 28th 2024, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apologies, as my statement above is incorrect.....one can sponsor one's unmarried partner to the UK but one has to show living together as 'per a marriage' for 2+ years, together with documentation to prove so.

You still need to be not married to someone else though !!!!