Moving to work in Canada?

Old Sep 12th 2021, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Drunkarchaeologist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to work in Canada?

Hi there, so I'm wanting to travel to Canada to work, and unfortunately I've just turned 31 so the IEC program has been scuppered. My girlfriend is Canadian and has expressed an interest in moving back to Canada, so naturally she asked me to go with her. So I'm currently trying to look at options that will allow me to do so, but finding it hard and overwhelming to get an answer, any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Sep 12th 2021, 6:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to work in Canada?

Originally Posted by Drunkarchaeologist
Hi there, so I'm wanting to travel to Canada to work, and unfortunately I've just turned 31 so the IEC program has been scuppered. My girlfriend is Canadian and has expressed an interest in moving back to Canada, so naturally she asked me to go with her. So I'm currently trying to look at options that will allow me to do so, but finding it hard and overwhelming to get an answer, any help would be greatly appreciated
If you have lived together she could sponsor you as a common-law spouse but would then be responsible for you if, for example, you were pissed and dug up the lawn at some important government building.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you have lived together she could sponsor you as a common-law spouse but would then be responsible for you if, for example, you were pissed and dug up the lawn at some important government building.
Hahahaha she has mentioned that would be a possibility, hopefully I won't dig up any lawns, apparently the craft beer scene in Canada is good and they are in need of archaeologist
Old Sep 12th 2021, 7:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Is she a Canadian Citizen or a PR holder? If she is a citizen and you have lived together 'as if married' (with proof) for a minimum of 12 consecutive months she could sponsor you as her common-law partner whilst still in the UK.. if she is a PR holder then she would need to be in Canada to do so..

There's something called Bunac-RO for those that don't fit within the age constraints for an IEC, but they have 'sold out' for this year; or if you have Irish Citizenship you could still apply for an IEC (under 35).

Have you looked into applying under Express Entry yourself, or is this going to be a temporary move? What is it you do for a living (?archaeologist?) If you could find a company willing to apply for an LMIA, you could potentially obtain a temporary work permit - some Provincial nomination routes also offer a TWP - as does the 'start up visa' route.

Suggest having a read over this wiki post (especially Christmasoompa's part) and posting the results of the CRS tool - assume 'for tool use' that you have obtained your IELTS (top marks), had your ECA assessment done and have sufficient funds. This will help to determine if EE or another route might be preferable.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick..._by_step_guide

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 12th 2021 at 8:06 pm. Reason: sp
Old Sep 12th 2021, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, lots of very good points. She is a Canadian citizen, she holds duel nationality, hence why she is living in the UK with me, we have been together for more than 12 months, so the common law route is a certain possibility. I'm an archaeologist, so that's a possibility for me to look at options too, I'll look at the post linked, thanks for the help
Old Sep 12th 2021, 7:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, lots of very good points. She is a Canadian citizen, she holds duel nationality, hence why she is living in the UK with me, we have been together for more than 12 months, so the common law route is a certain possibility. I'm an archaeologist, so that's a possibility for me to look at options too, I'll look at the post linked, thanks for the help
Most welcome. Which Province are you hoping to move to? You might find this of use - https://www.cahp-acecp.ca/chapters/ membership or licensing is often a requirement for jobs.. https://cahp-acecp.ca/membership-categories/

Old Sep 12th 2021, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Would be Ontario as most of her family live around there close to Toronto
Old Sep 12th 2021, 8:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I sponsored someone that way. It was straightforward, you just need proof of co-habitation, bills in both names, statements from a shared bank account, that sort of thing.

There is certainly lots of craft beer in Canada though I drink Pride, or when not available, Fat Tire which is an American beer brewed under license here.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 8:09 pm
Banned

Would be Ontario as most of her family live around there close to Toronto
Ontario is one of the Provinces that require licensing for Archaeologists.- Archaeological licensing
Here are a few job opportunities in your field - though some are 'technician' positions https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=Archaeo...logy&l=Ontario

For hints on applying under Common law sponsorship, see our wonderful wiki - any of the 'spousal' parts applies
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 12th 2021 at 8:14 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Oh I didn't know about the Archaeological licence, that is very good information to know, I've been told there are quite a lot of jobs in Archaeology going in Canada at the minute, and the pay (even with cost of living) is very better than here in the UK. I'll have a look at the links about the common law route, it's something her parents have been mentioning to her that it's a way we could do it