Moving from UK to Canada??

Old May 29th 2012, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

dalespencer will become famous soon enoughdalespencer will become famous soon enough
Default Moving from UK to Canada??

Hey everyone.
I am new to the forum, i joined because i am thinking of moving to Canada (vancouver area). I live in Hull in the UK and i am a 27 year old fully Qualified Carpenter/Joiner with 10 years experience, I have my own limited business which i did very well with up until this year! Work in the area is getting very hard to come by and im struggling to keep my head above water everybody i speak to is in the same boat who is in the building trade and there seems to be no way out.

I've been very successful with a few companies who i've sub-contracted to and even they are in the same position as myself. So, i have been very deep in thought! and whats popped into mind is migrating to Canada.

I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who has done this?? how easy it is?? whats the best route to take?? and finally the costs/ how much i will need to be successful??

Look forward to reading your replies.

Kind regards

Dale
Old May 30th 2012, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default Re: Moving from UK to Canada??

Hi Dale,

Many have done it! But to be able to help, we'd need more specific questions from you, as well as more info about your situation - there are many different routes to a Canadian visa / residency and all depend on an individual's situation and aspirations.

So in the first place, the best thing is for you to read the wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

You can then ask more specific questions to help you pinpoint the best way for you
Old May 30th 2012, 9:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by dalespencer
Work in the area is getting very hard to come by and im struggling to keep my head above water everybody i speak to is in the same boat who is in the building trade and there seems to be no way out.
That must be tough, although is that your only motivation for moving to Canada? The building industry has been hit hard by the recession there too, so maybe do a quick search of the forum for more info to see if it would be worth moving.

I'm wondering if there is anybody on here who has done this??
Yes, lots of people.

how easy it is??
Depends on the visa route, if you just go over on a Working Holiday Visa then it's very quick and easy, but if you want to go over as a Permanent Resident then it'll take longer and be more involved, but of course you'd have the security of PR once you get there.

whats the best route to take??
There are over 50 routes to a visa for Canada, you'll need to figure out which is best for you - have a read of the article Nerdherd has kindly given you, and then hopefully once you've figured out which visa route you're going to take we can answer your questions about it.

and finally the costs/ how much i will need to be successful??
Again, depends on the visa route, but will also depend on if you'll have a job to go to, whether you have kids or a spouse, whereabouts you plan to move to, etc. This recent thread may be useful reading, in which people gave their move costs - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH, good luck.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:18 pm
Eager Beaver!

umpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond reputeumpalumpa has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a NVQ or other qualification? You will need to get a canadian carpenter licence (red seal) to get better money and jobs, also if you want to work for yourself you will have to have your own red seal licence,I came over as NVQ qualified plumber and had to get my red seal licence and it was very hard but working over here with a company and being issued a temporary licence and hitting the code books i did it

Here is a link to the red seal site
http://www.red-seal.ca/[email protected]?tid=38