Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto via the US - VWP queery

Moving to Toronto via the US - VWP queery

Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

atlendor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto via the US - VWP queery

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me, because the US embassy in London website certainly doesnt!

My Wife works in NJ on a H1 visa as an acdemic (she is a brit). I am a brit too (based in London, just finished Ph.D.) and we recently got married.

Our plan is to move to Toronto - I will get a flight from London to Newark, we will hire a truck and drive to Toronto. I'm sure at some point I will return to the UK, but that's all in the future. Also, I will need to visit the US in the future, so I dont want to break the rules for the next time I visit...

Can I do all this on Visa waiver? I'm perfectly happy to buy a return to Newark from London to satisfy the VWP rules and not use the return, and then hand over the I-94 at the border - as it will speed things up not to have to go through the rigmarole of visa applications.... anyone got any thoughts???

The FAQ on the US embassy website seem riddled with inconsistencies....

Cheers!
Atlendor
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto via the US - VWP queery

What kind of Canadian visa have you got?

(the question, by the way, would be better asked on a US immigration forum)

Jeremy

Originally Posted by atlendor
Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me, because the US embassy in London website certainly doesnt!

My Wife works in NJ on a H1 visa as an acdemic (she is a brit). I am a brit too (based in London, just finished Ph.D.) and we recently got married.

Our plan is to move to Toronto - I will get a flight from London to Newark, we will hire a truck and drive to Toronto. I'm sure at some point I will return to the UK, but that's all in the future. Also, I will need to visit the US in the future, so I dont want to break the rules for the next time I visit...

Can I do all this on Visa waiver? I'm perfectly happy to buy a return to Newark from London to satisfy the VWP rules and not use the return, and then hand over the I-94 at the border - as it will speed things up not to have to go through the rigmarole of visa applications.... anyone got any thoughts???

The FAQ on the US embassy website seem riddled with inconsistencies....

Cheers!
Atlendor
Old Sep 26th 2004, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
What kind of Canadian visa have you got?

(the question, by the way, would be better asked on a US immigration forum)

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

I have posted it on both, as I wasnt sure! (so hope thats OK....)

I dont need a visa as I am a UK citizen, just a work permit (which is in process). As it is my wife (not me) that has ben offered a job, I'm simply tagging along on the spousal 'open' work permit scheme.

...Although I'm sure I'll be very busy with my collaborators at the University of Toronto when I arrive....

Atlendor
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy,

I have posted it on both, as I wasnt sure! (so hope thats OK....)

I dont need a visa as I am a UK citizen, just a work permit (which is in process). As it is my wife (not me) that has ben offered a job, I'm simply tagging along on the spousal 'open' work permit scheme.

...Although I'm sure I'll be very busy with my collaborators at the University of Toronto when I arrive....

Atlendor
You'll need to see what the folks on the US forum say. To me at least it looks like a very grey area and there is the risk that either the airline or the US Immigration people will have a problem. Or they might not.

Separately - are you and your wife planning to go for PR in Canada once you're they're? It would usually make sense to become permanent residents as soon as possible (if you're eligible) and then make a point of staying in Canada long enough to get Canadian citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Sep 26th 2004, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You'll need to see what the folks on the US forum say. To me at least it looks like a very grey area and there is the risk that either the airline or the US Immigration people will have a problem. Or they might not.

Separately - are you and your wife planning to go for PR in Canada once you're they're? It would usually make sense to become permanent residents as soon as possible (if you're eligible) and then make a point of staying in Canada long enough to get Canadian citizenship.

Jeremy
Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy, I agree!

Any yes, we will probably go for PR status is due course, 1 year I believe, or else it makes moving rather frought....

Atlendor
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:29 am
JAJ
Retired

Any yes, we will probably go for PR status is due course, 1 year I believe, or else it makes moving rather frought....

Atlendor
There's no specific minimum time you have to be in Canada before you can apply for PR - and as the process will likely take some time you should normally be looking to kick off the process as soon as possible after arrival.

Jeremy
Old Sep 27th 2004, 3:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy

Originally Posted by JAJ
There's no specific minimum time you have to be in Canada before you can apply for PR - and as the process will likely take some time you should normally be looking to kick off the process as soon as possible after arrival.

Jeremy
Remember though, if you are in Canada and if you apply through Buffalo, rather than your home country, you must have been admitted to Canada for 1 year.

PMM