Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Toronto and need advice :-)

Moving to Toronto and need advice :-)

Old Feb 28th 2022, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Kerry2Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Toronto and need advice :-)

Hey everyone,

I'm wanting to move to Toronto next summer (2023), however I have a few questions, which I'm hoping some of you can help answer

I've traveled a lot in North America and am set on settling in Canada on a permanent basis. However, I have 2 hurdles I'm currently up against that I don't yet know the answer to.

The first is that I want to initially go on a working holiday visa. However, I am 30 in 4 weeks and am not planning on going until a few months after my 31st. Being British, I only have until my 31st birthday to activate the WHV. However, my grandad is Irish (mum half Irish), therefore I would be eligible to obtain a Republic of Ireland passport, giving me until I'm 35. However, only having just have received the passport and not living in Ireland, I'm wondering whether this will go against me in applying for the WHV as a 31+ year old?

The second thing is that I am soon going to apply for the Self Employed Permanent Residency Visa. This takes up to 37 months at the moment, which is why I'm keen to apply now and then initially go next year on the WHV whilst I wait for my PR. Is this possible?

I have calculated my points and I have 65/100, only needing 30. From peoples experience on this forum, how likely is it to get approved for PR? I'm self employed and run a Ltd company in the Creative industry, I speak, write, & read English to a high level and have 10+ years experience in Marketing/Sales, as well as 2 years currently as a business owner.

Would appreciate any help and advice at all on my journey to hopefully moving to Canada! :-)
Old Feb 28th 2022, 11:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Toronto and need advice :-)

Everything sounds fine to me.

You could potentially explore other PR options whilst here on a work holiday visa as well.

Lots of sales and marketing opportunities.
Old Mar 1st 2022, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Kerry2Canada
The first is that I want to initially go on a working holiday visa. However, I am 30 in 4 weeks and am not planning on going until a few months after my 31st. Being British, I only have until my 31st birthday to activate the WHV. However, my grandad is Irish (mum half Irish), therefore I would be eligible to obtain a Republic of Ireland passport, giving me until I'm 35. However, only having just have received the passport and not living in Ireland, I'm wondering whether this will go against me in applying for the WHV as a 31+ year old?
That would be no problem at all, there's no requirement to have held the passport for a certain amount of time.

The second thing is that I am soon going to apply for the Self Employed Permanent Residency Visa. This takes up to 37 months at the moment, which is why I'm keen to apply now and then initially go next year on the WHV whilst I wait for my PR. Is this possible?
Yep, absolutely fine.

I have calculated my points and I have 65/100, only needing 30. From peoples experience on this forum, how likely is it to get approved for PR? I'm self employed and run a Ltd company in the Creative industry, I speak, write, & read English to a high level and have 10+ years experience in Marketing/Sales, as well as 2 years currently as a business owner.
What's your actual NOC code? You've not mentioned but assume it's one of the eligible ones for that program? If so, sounds good, I assume you've checked other (quicker) PR routes as well i.e. EE and this is your only option at the moment?
Old Mar 5th 2022, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everyone,

It's probably also worth mentioning, its not when you go that matter for WHV its' when you are given your POE.

So for example if you entered the pool as a 30 year old in a few weeks, got drawn out, went through the application etc - your application needs to be approved and your POE letter issued before you turn 31, you then have 12 months from that date to enter the country - would mean you can enter and activate your visa at 31 and a half (its what my other half did, after advise from this forum).