British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Moving into and then out of Quebec (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/moving-into-then-out-quebec-598363/)

ExcitedBrit Mar 18th 2009 12:18 pm

Moving into and then out of Quebec

Hi all and especially the seniors,

I dont know if this has been adressed previously but would like your opinion:

what are the implications of moving out of Quebec if I cant find a decent job? I am compelled to die of hunger in Quebec or can I safely use the mobility rights and move out if I need to. I ask because i intent to move to Montreal (applied to Quebec with CSQ)but cant stop thinking about the worst case scenario.

Any ideas?

PMM Mar 18th 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Moving into and then out of Quebec

Hi

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit (Post 7393089)
Hi all and especially the seniors,

I dont know if this has been adressed previously but would like your opinion:

what are the implications of moving out of Quebec if I cant find a decent job? I am compelled to die of hunger in Quebec or can I safely use the mobility rights and move out if I need to. I ask because i intent to move to Montreal (applied to Quebec with CSQ)but cant stop thinking about the worst case scenario.

Any ideas?

If you don't make a reasonable effort to settle in Quebec, they reserve the right to rescind you nomination certificate. So it is your choice.

kleinluka Mar 18th 2009 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 7394184)
Hi

If you don't make a reasonable effort to settle in Quebec, they reserve the right to rescind you nomination certificate. So it is your choice.

do they really enforce this though? seems like it would be kind of weird for them to track people down in order to make sure that nobody leaves the province :blink: i mean once you're PR you're PR... the declaration of intent should still be only that... a declaration of... INTENT... if after a couple years you realize you want to go somewhere else this shouldn't really be punished seeing how you are still a PR of CANADA. thoughts? just seems kind of cruel that they make you pay right of canadian pr fee and federal application fee (all fees that a regular PR pays PLUS quebec fees) and then they dont allow you to live in the rest of canada unless you provide further evidence...

Matthew Sell Mar 18th 2009 7:15 pm

This is a grey area, certainly what Quebec or any of the PNP Programs don't want to see is people stepping off the plane and moving to another Province.

Hence the powers to deter and withdrawal nomination during the process if they suspect you don't have intention to stay.

However once you have Permanent Resident status you are cover by the Canadian Charter of Freedoms, one of which is the freedom to mobility.

ExcitedBrit Mar 18th 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks for reply. yeah this really worried me now- to keep it simple I just wanted to know if it has been documented elsewhere in (e.g courtcases) that people leaving the Belle Province did get into trouble. I mean what if I really need to move out- Im moving to Quebec with a decent amount of funds but need a backup plan as well.

Originally Posted by Matthew Sell (Post 7394740)
This is a grey area, certainly what Quebec or any of the PNP Programs don't want to see is people stepping off the plane and moving to another Province.

Hence the powers to deter and withdrawal nomination during the process if they suspect you don't have intention to stay.

However once you have Permanent Resident status you are cover by the Canadian Charter of Freedoms, one of which is the freedom to mobility.

kleinluka Mar 18th 2009 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ExcitedBrit (Post 7394765)
Thanks for reply. yeah this really worried me now- to keep it simple I just wanted to know if it has been documented elsewhere in (e.g courtcases) that people leaving the Belle Province did get into trouble. I mean what if I really need to move out- Im moving to Quebec with a decent amount of funds but need a backup plan as well.

I think under realistic conditions there would only be a problem if you moved away pretty much immediately after gaining PR status in Quebec. For example if you get PR and then never get a job in Quebec and 2 months later you move to Ontario....then it would kind of raise the question why you applied to settle in Quebec in the first place.

But if you stay in Quebec for a bit apply to some jobs, hoefully find one and then move later, lets say after 2 years... I dont think it would cause any problems.

iaink Mar 18th 2009 8:43 pm

In reality after three years you are eligable for citizenship anyway, and the right of citizens to live where they want is enshrined in the constitution or whatever. I would think three years isnt too much to ask?

If you try and fail to find a job there and something else comes up elsewhere, as long as you can prove you at least tried and intended to be in Quebec, then you should be safe.

kleinluka Mar 18th 2009 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7395068)
In reality after three years you are eligable for citizenship anyway, and the right of citizens to live where they want is enshrined in the constitution or whatever. I would think three years isnt too much to ask?

If you try and fail to find a job there and something else comes up elsewhere, as long as you can prove you at least tried and intended to be in Quebec, then you should be safe.

exactly