Moving from IEC to visitor

Old May 29th 2018, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

rana1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from IEC to visitor

My IEC work permit expired on the 14th May. I applied for visitor status on the 11th May, so I'm here on implied status (not working). I'm still awaiting a response. If it was turned down (I don't anticipate this, but just so I'm prepared), how long would they give me to leave the country? I am a UK citizen if that is important info.

Thanks!
Old May 29th 2018, 9:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from IEC to visitor

Originally Posted by rana1
My IEC work permit expired on the 14th May. I applied for visitor status on the 11th May, so I'm here on implied status (not working). I'm still awaiting a response. If it was turned down (I don't anticipate this, but just so I'm prepared), how long would they give me to leave the country? I am a UK citizen if that is important info.

Thanks!
The instructions say apply 30 days before expiry of IEC, not 3!
Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?

British Citizenship has no bearing on it at all other than being from a visa waiver country.

You may want to read this. I did not think you could be on implied status coming off IEC. You either had to have a visitor permit in hand at the expiry of your IEC or leave the country. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Implied_Status_IEC
Old May 29th 2018, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO you would have Implied Status as you submitted an application to change status ie worker to visitor and are now waiting a decision. It will be several weeks before a decision is made and you will be notified as to the decision. If not approved they would normally give you about a 30 day window to leave the country. Under no circumstances should you still be working as the work permit has expired and the Implied Status for carrying on working is not applicable to your situation.
Old May 29th 2018, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you made a complete application to change status to Visitor, before the expiry date of your Work Permit you have implied status (until a decision is made on your Visitor Extension). You should not have worked beyond the expiry date on your work permit. Not (in my opinion) because you were on an IEC Work Permit (I differ in my opinion from others on this forum) but because you applied to change from one activity type to another which is a different category.

Last edited by Snowy560; May 29th 2018 at 11:47 pm.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:45 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Aviator
The instructions say apply 30 days before expiry of IEC, not 3!
Can I stay in Canada as a tourist after my work permit expires?

British Citizenship has no bearing on it at all other than being from a visa waiver country.

You may want to read this. I did not think you could be on implied status coming off IEC. You either had to have a visitor permit in hand at the expiry of your IEC or leave the country. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Implied_Status_IEC
1. The 30 days is a suggestion, by law, as long as the request is received prior to it's expiry then the OP is fine and has implied status until a decision is made.
2. If the extension as a visitor is refused, you are usually given 30 days to leave.