Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada, Where do we start?

Moving to Canada, Where do we start?

Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of
Default Moving to Canada, Where do we start?

Hi
We are an early 30s married couple, im French and my husband is English. We are currently living in the UK but my husband's company is being acquired and the new company HQ is based near Toronto. It seems that they want him (us) to move to Toronto for at least a year and then to the US. We are up for the challenge but it is obviously scary and im not sure what to do and how to start preparing for the Canada move...
How does everything works (renting furnished places, medical care, salary taxes etc)
is Toronto a nice place? are people welcoming? is it safe? any thing we should know?
as you can see i have so many questions, anything that you feel we should know/do would be very helpful
many thanks!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada, Where do we start?

Originally Posted by laety
Hi
We are an early 30s married couple, im French and my husband is English. We are currently living in the UK but my husband's company is being acquired and the new company HQ is based near Toronto. It seems that they want him (us) to move to Toronto for at least a year and then to the US. We are up for the challenge but it is obviously scary and im not sure what to do and how to start preparing for the Canada move...
How does everything works (renting furnished places, medical care, salary taxes etc)
is Toronto a nice place? are people welcoming? is it safe? any thing we should know?
as you can see i have so many questions, anything that you feel we should know/do would be very helpful
many thanks!
Welcome to the forum. The Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) should be your first step, have a read of the info in there and hopefully at least some of your questions should be answered.

The visa will be key, not sure if your husband will qualify for an intra-company transfer if the company he's currently working for are being taken over, but there is a Wiki article on that as well.

Views on Toronto will vary, some people love it, others (myself included) are not fans. Again, there is info in the Wiki and also if you do a search you'll find lots of previous threads about it.

Good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

Hi thank you very much ill check out this wiki
May I ask why you are not a fan of toronto?
thank you very much
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
May I ask why you are not a fan of toronto?
Just personal preference, too built up and industrial for me, but then I'm a country girl!

Happy reading, hope the Wiki helps.