Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada with a UK law degree

Moving to Canada with a UK law degree

Old Aug 28th 2015, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

zigglr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada with a UK law degree

Hi,

I am currently studying a Law degree in the UK, and I would like to permanently immigrate to Canada once I graduate. Is this easy to do, and how does the process work?

Also, would I be more likely to move to Canada permanently if I transfer to a Canadian university and finish my degree there?

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada with a UK law degree

So you changed your mind about the U.S.?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im.../#post11735562

Read the wiki, use the "come to Canada" tool on the CIC website, read, think, digest, come back if you have specific questions.

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 3:41 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Weirdly playing the field without doing any background reading..... What are you up to zigglr?
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zigglr
I am currently studying a Law degree in the UK, and I would like to permanently immigrate to Canada once I graduate. Is this easy to do, and how does the process work?
No, it's not easy to do (unless you happen to have a Canadian spouse that you've not mentioned). Canada is certainly easier for most to move to than the US, but it's still not what I'd call 'easy' - for that you've got the whole of the EU where no visa is required.

You'll need to take an English exam, and get your education assessed (this can take several months), etc. Once you've done all that you'll be put in to a pool of people and if you score enough then you'll get invited to apply for Permanent Residence. Check your points score on the CRS, and if you score over approx 450 you're in with a chance - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

If you don't score above approx 450, you'll either need a job offer and LMIA (for which the employer must prove they have advertised the job across Canada and that there is no Canadian that can do the job), or you'll need Canadian experience, to up your points score.

Doing your degree in Canada would potentially help towards extra points, but would also mean you'd be qualified there rather than having to jump through hoops in order to work there, so would make far more sense if you can do it.

So, firstly - what do you score on the CRS above? That's the vital bit.

HTH a bit.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 2:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Also, would I be more likely to move to Canada permanently if I transfer to a Canadian university and finish my degree there?

Thanks
Good luck with your move. It's a lovely country.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, it's not easy to do (unless you happen to have a Canadian spouse that you've not mentioned). Canada is certainly easier for most to move to than the US, but it's still not what I'd call 'easy' - for that you've got the whole of the EU where no visa is required.

You'll need to take an English exam, and get your education assessed (this can take several months), etc. Once you've done all that you'll be put in to a pool of people and if you score enough then you'll get invited to apply for Permanent Residence. Check your points score on the CRS, and if you score over approx 450 you're in with a chance - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

If you don't score above approx 450, you'll either need a job offer and LMIA (for which the employer must prove they have advertised the job across Canada and that there is no Canadian that can do the job), or you'll need Canadian experience, to up your points score.

Doing your degree in Canada would potentially help towards extra points, but would also mean you'd be qualified there rather than having to jump through hoops in order to work there, so would make far more sense if you can do it.

So, firstly - what do you score on the CRS above? That's the vital bit.

HTH a bit.

I believe I scored 369

I have a foundation degree and a 3 year degree, so does that give me 150 points in 'Level of Education'?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Just an interesting update:

I am allowed to study for 1 semester at a Canadian University. Will this help my application at all?
Old Aug 29th 2015, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I scored 369

I have a foundation degree and a 3 year degree, so does that give me 150 points in 'Level of Education'?
Ah, ok, that's very likely to be nowhere near enough to be selected to apply for PR I'm afraid, you'll need to get your points score up. It wouldn't give you 150 points, as only people with Phd's get 150 points. I'd guess you'd get 128 (assuming no partner/spouse), for 'two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one of which must be for a program of 3 years or more'.

The best way to give yourself a major jump in your points would be to either get a LMIA or PNP nomination - read up on the Wiki and CIC website to see how to go about both of these.

Just an interesting update:

I am allowed to study for 1 semester at a Canadian University. Will this help my application at all?
Nope. If you'd studied at a Canadian uni for the whole degree it would be very different, as you'd then get a post-graduate work permit and could apply for PR under the Canadian Experience Class. But one semester won't make any difference to your points score or visa route options.

As you mention a business in your thread in the US forums, do look in to the Start Up Visa for Canada as well, that might be an option for you.

HTH.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Surely someone studying law should be able to find the info on the GoC website.

Isn't law an undergraduate degree in the UK? In Canada you must have a university degree, and sit the LSAT, before being admitted to law school.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
One of your major problems, as far as I can see, is that Canadian law is totally different to UK law, so I assume that you would have to do some extra classes before your degree would be acceptable.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, ok, that's very likely to be nowhere near enough to be selected to apply for PR I'm afraid, you'll need to get your points score up. It wouldn't give you 150 points, as only people with Phd's get 150 points. I'd guess you'd get 128 (assuming no partner/spouse), for 'two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one of which must be for a program of 3 years or more'.

The best way to give yourself a major jump in your points would be to either get a LMIA or PNP nomination - read up on the Wiki and CIC website to see how to go about both of these.

Nope. If you'd studied at a Canadian uni for the whole degree it would be very different, as you'd then get a post-graduate work permit and could apply for PR under the Canadian Experience Class. But one semester won't make any difference to your points score or visa route options.

As you mention a business in your thread in the US forums, do look in to the Start Up Visa for Canada as well, that might be an option for you.

HTH.
But it doesn't seem possible to get the 450 points you said unless you get the 600 points from having arranged employment
Old Aug 29th 2015, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this at one point some time ago as one of us has a UK law degree. This gives the procedures if you are in BC and have a foreign law degree:

Becoming a Lawyer | The Law Society of British Columbia

Sounds like IEC Working Holiday might be the best thing to research if you are under 30.

I suggest: much more research then coming to study in Canada for that semester as part of your degree. Then you can see if you really want to live here.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 29th 2015 at 5:04 am.