Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada temporarily with boyfriend

Moving to Canada temporarily with boyfriend

Old Apr 25th 2013, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Crimson Claymore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada temporarily with boyfriend

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user but have been lurking on this forum for a while, finding out as much as I can from here and the official Immigration Canada website. I have not found any threads matching my exact situation and would love some guidance - people on this forum seem very helpful and knowledgeable!

My boyfriend will be moving to Montreal soon as he's accepted a job there; it's a three-year temporary work permit. I want to move with him and stay there for the duration of his project, which will probably last for 18 months to two years. We will be returning to the UK once his project is complete.

I've been looking into the ways I can join him, and it seems there are plenty of options to extend my visit past the initial six months - but which would be the best for us? We've been in a relationship for three years, are unmarried and have not lived together due to our careers. We have plenty of photographs and email correspondence dating back from 2010 to prove that our relationship is legitimate.

I have enough funding to support myself in Canada for the entire duration, and he will also be earning enough to add to that. I'll be purchasing health insurance to cover my stay, and have a permanent address and family in the UK. So my questions are: what's the best way to prove my intent to stay in Canada (for the initial immigration check) and what's the best way to ensure that I can stay for the full duration?

I'm a bit concerned that if we fly out separately, I'll have a hard time proving connections to my boyfriend. Would a photocopy of his passport, photographic proof of our relationship and a copy of his Work Permit be sufficient for me to get through?

Now onto the second point. I've noticed several options for extending my stay: simply extending the visitor's visa twice (I believe people on this forum have successfully done so); extending it long enough to apply for the IEC next year or the Common Law partnership after we've lived together for a year; finding work and acquiring a Temporary Work Permit; and marriage.

I had assumed that with enough proof of funding and intent to leave afterwards, there wouldn't be a problem extending the visitor's visa; but my boyfriend is worried now and wants to make sure I'm not missing something. We don't want to spend the next two years apart.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! It would be really helpful to get some opinions or personal accounts on similar situations.

Thank you!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada temporarily with boyfriend

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Crimson Claymore
I have enough funding to support myself in Canada for the entire duration, and he will also be earning enough to add to that. I'll be purchasing health insurance to cover my stay, and have a permanent address and family in the UK. So my questions are: what's the best way to prove my intent to stay in Canada (for the initial immigration check) and what's the best way to ensure that I can stay for the full duration?
The only way I can think of at the moment, is to get married before you go. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to stay with him in Canada I'm afraid. Also, re: health insurance, will you definitely be able to get that? Obviously travel insurance won't cover you, and I wouldn't imagine provincial cover would either as you won't be resident, so that's something to double check.

I'm a bit concerned that if we fly out separately, I'll have a hard time proving connections to my boyfriend. Would a photocopy of his passport, photographic proof of our relationship and a copy of his Work Permit be sufficient for me to get through?
Proving your relationship won't make any difference, as you're not married on common-law, so put simply you don't have any right to accompany your boyfriend. In fact, if you enter together imo you're more likely to be refused entry, as they'll think you intend to stay beyond the duration of your visitor visa (which is correct!).

Now onto the second point. I've noticed several options for extending my stay: simply extending the visitor's visa twice (I believe people on this forum have successfully done so); extending it long enough to apply for the IEC next year or the Common Law partnership after we've lived together for a year; finding work and acquiring a Temporary Work Permit; and marriage.
'Simply' extending the visitors visa is far from a formality and could be trickier for you. You're correct that people on the forum have done that, but that's usually when they have a Canadian spouse/partner and have a PR application in (which allows them to stay whilst it's processed). As you'll be accompanying a foreign worker, it's not going to be automatic that you can stay longer than whatever duration you're given to start with.

Other than that though, it sounds like you've got your options figured out. Will your boyfriend be applying for PR whilst there? As you say he'll be getting a 3 year TWP I assume it's an intra-company transfer?

I hope you can stay with him the entire time, good luck.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

The only way I can think of at the moment, is to get married before you go. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to stay with him in Canada I'm afraid. Also, re: health insurance, will you definitely be able to get that? Obviously travel insurance won't cover you, and I wouldn't imagine provincial cover would either as you won't be resident, so that's something to double check.

Proving your relationship won't make any difference, as you're not married on common-law, so put simply you don't have any right to accompany your boyfriend. In fact, if you enter together imo you're more likely to be refused entry, as they'll think you intend to stay beyond the duration of your visitor visa (which is correct!).

'Simply' extending the visitors visa is far from a formality and could be trickier for you. You're correct that people on the forum have done that, but that's usually when they have a Canadian spouse/partner and have a PR application in (which allows them to stay whilst it's processed). As you'll be accompanying a foreign worker, it's not going to be automatic that you can stay longer than whatever duration you're given to start with.

Other than that though, it sounds like you've got your options figured out. Will your boyfriend be applying for PR whilst there? As you say he'll be getting a 3 year TWP I assume it's an intra-company transfer?

I hope you can stay with him the entire time, good luck.
Thanks so much for your quick reply. This is what I was worried about, that my intent to only stay for the project duration wouldn't be 'good enough' for the officers as it's still for longer than six months. I've received a few mixed messages about how easy/difficult it is to extend the Visitor Visa, so apologies for suggesting it might be simple.

I've looked into health insurance and was under the impression that it's something I can buy when I'm still in the UK, and covers travel to other countries like Canada for up to a year (after which it can be renewed). Is there more to this than I thought? I will look into it further.

We don't intend to stay for longer than the project's duration, so my boyfriend is not intending to apply for PR. I was under the impression that this won't be easy for him - would it help our cause at all?

Actually it is not an intra-company transfer; my boyfriend will be leaving his current job and has never worked at the Canadian company before. From what I know it's a clean-cut matter of him going out there to work on the project and then leaving. I suppose he could apply for PR if the company want to keep him on, but I believe he needs to be there for three years before he can do this?

Re: marriage - it's something we would have done in a few years anyway and we're absolutely serious, but I'm concerned that it would look like a convenience marriage. That's why I mentioned all the proof of our relationship; would we receive a grilling if they notice that we got married shortly before entering the country?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked into health insurance and was under the impression that it's something I can buy when I'm still in the UK, and covers travel to other countries like Canada for up to a year (after which it can be renewed). Is there more to this than I thought? I will look into it further.
Do you mean travel insurance? That wouldn't normally cover you unless you're resident in the UK, but I'm not sure if there is a different type of insurance you've found?

We don't intend to stay for longer than the project's duration, so my boyfriend is not intending to apply for PR. I was under the impression that this won't be easy for him - would it help our cause at all?
Shouldn't be difficult if he does want to stay, although without knowing his job etc, it's hard to say for sure. But usually once working in Canada, PR can be applied for quite easily.

Actually it is not an intra-company transfer; my boyfriend will be leaving his current job and has never worked at the Canadian company before. From what I know it's a clean-cut matter of him going out there to work on the project and then leaving. I suppose he could apply for PR if the company want to keep him on, but I believe he needs to be there for three years before he can do this?
OK, so how do you know it will be a 3 year TWP? A 1 or 2 year is more likely, which may help a bit as you wouldn't need to stay as long on a visitor visa. Has he got his CAQ yet?

I'm not as familiar with Quebec PR requirements, but I'd be amazed if they require you to have worked there for 3 years before applying for PR. In all other provinces you can usually apply as soon as you get there. Worth looking in to if you do think you might want to stay longer term.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Do you mean travel insurance? That wouldn't normally cover you unless you're resident in the UK, but I'm not sure if there is a different type of insurance you've found?

Shouldn't be difficult if he does want to stay, although without knowing his job etc, it's hard to say for sure. But usually once working in Canada, PR can be applied for quite easily.

OK, so how do you know it will be a 3 year TWP? A 1 or 2 year is more likely, which may help a bit as you wouldn't need to stay as long on a visitor visa. Has he got his CAQ yet?

I'm not as familiar with Quebec PR requirements, but I'd be amazed if they require you to have worked there for 3 years before applying for PR. In all other provinces you can usually apply as soon as you get there. Worth looking in to if you do think you might want to stay longer term.
I've found several UK-based private healthcare companies that provide healthcare for living temporarily abroad, and I feel pretty confident about this - it's expensive, especially for comprehensive cover, but explicitly states that it is health and not travel insurance. Of course I will need to look into the fine print before buying it, but it seems to cover my needs.

I checked with my boyfriend and he confirmed that it is a 3 year TWP, as that is the maximum time period a TWP can be granted for. Pure speculation, but I imagine the company will be interested in keeping him for longer, so perhaps applying for PR would be a good idea. He's sent off his application for the CAQ but hasn't received it yet, although there is no doubt that he's got the job.

So if he is granted PR later on, what does that mean for me? I assume we'd still have to be married for it to mean anything...would marriage make things more secure even if we do it so soon before moving? As I mentioned, marriage is something we will definitely be doing at some point, but I'm worried about it looking like a convenience marriage.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute

I've found several UK-based private healthcare companies that provide healthcare for living temporarily abroad, and I feel pretty confident about this - it's expensive, especially for comprehensive cover, but explicitly states that it is health and not travel insurance. Of course I will need to look into the fine print before buying it, but it seems to cover my needs.
This correct! Bupa provides this cover as does other health insurance companies, I think also Bluecross in Canada does it also for Temporary Residents.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Excellent, thanks for confirming Although it looks like this is the least of my worries! It's good to know that my health needs will be covered for however long I do end up staying.