Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada this summer - query over PR visas???

Moving to Canada this summer - query over PR visas???

Old Feb 16th 2013, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

bangragal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada this summer - query over PR visas???

My son and I landed in Canada on August 10th 2010 and gained our PR then. However we were only there on holiday and so returned after 2 weeks.

We are now planning on returning this summer (for the first time since 2010). My son has applied for university over there.

I realize that to reapply for a PR Visa which we will want to do, we have to have been in the country for 2 out of the 5 preceding years so obviously we are cutting it fine!

I have some questions which I really hope someone can help with!

Because we weren't staying we didn't provide an address for a PR Card (as they can't be sent out of the country apparently). So all we have are what's in our passports which is an immigration form stating when we landed etc.

(1)On my son's form it states that the PR is valid until 09/07/15. On my form the valid to date is 05/03/19. I may well be being dumb here, but what do these dates actually mean - I thought at first that my son's form might relate to the 5 years before he could reapply for a PR visa but not sure?

(2)Am I right in thinking that as long as we go over before the 10th August 2013 and then remain there for 2 years that we will both be able to reapply for the PR visas?

(3)Also, my son is obviously down as a dependent but will turn 18 in a couple of months - does this make any difference to his current visa?

Really hope someone can help with one or more of these questions
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada this summer - query over PR visas???

The 5 year clock for you started on 10 August 2010 the day you landed and expires on 10 August 2015. Both of you will have to re enter Canada before
August 2013 to ensure you will be able to meet the 730 day residency obligation. You will have to apply for a PR card when you arrive.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...st-pr-card.asp
As long as you both return by then your PR status is ok.
Your sons age will not affect anything.
As you are already PRs hope the airline doesnt ask for a PR card even though you werent issued one when you initially arrived. You could always apply for the travel document as per this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/travel.asp
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Thank you Former Lancastrian - that helps clarify the situation - I'm still unsure about why there is a difference in the dates on our PR forms - any ideas?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bangragal
Thank you Former Lancastrian - that helps clarify the situation - I'm still unsure about why there is a difference in the dates on our PR forms - any ideas?
It doesn't mean anything, don't worry about it. As FL said, you've got until August 2013 to move to Canada permanently, although it's not advisable to leave it that late as you'd then essentially be 'land locked' for the next 2 years and unable to leave Canada. Best to give yourself at least 3 months leeway in case you need to return to the UK for a family emergency, or just want a holiday abroad!

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you! That's reassuring - I am planning on going mid July as like you say I need to allow myself some time to leave Canada, should the need arise.

Thinking about it, would the two weeks we spent in Canada on holiday after we landed count towards the 730 days?

And how do they keep track of how long you are in the country?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bangragal
Thank you! That's reassuring - I am planning on going mid July as like you say I need to allow myself some time to leave Canada, should the need arise.

Thinking about it, would the two weeks we spent in Canada on holiday after we landed count towards the 730 days?

And how do they keep track of how long you are in the country?
Yes the 2 weeks are counted as is everyday spent in Canada.
Proving the 730 day residency obligation is on you not the Govt.