Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada with Spouse: will this work?

Wikiposts

Moving to Canada with Spouse: will this work?

Old Dec 28th 2001, 5:47 am
Just Joined

garrick webster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello - a question to anyone who might be able to advise:

I am a Canadian Citizen who has married someone in the UK. We got married in May 2000 but have been together for 8 years.

We've decided to move to Canada and have had various bits of advice and picked up all sorts of (sometimes confusing) information from the High Commission in London, word of mouth and different immigration sites and forums.

Would the following work in terms of getting my wife into Canada with me as a 'visitor' or whatever until we can get her PR status through?

1) we fly to Toronto together with our passports, marriage certificate, wedding photos, copies of old bills, money, etc
2) we have with us a return ticket for my wife, just in case (say 3 months)
3) we tell the Immigration Officers up front that we intend to live together in Canada henceforth while my wife applies for PR with me as a sponsor

I don't see why we should be apart whilst she goes through the process of getting Permanent Resident status, and I really need to be based in Canada in order to work. However we don't want to deceive the Immigration officials in case that works against us.

I've heard that under the new system that is coming in, that to enter under false pretenses (ie for her to pretend to be visiting) would create problems for us.

One other question: would our case be applicable for the Humanitarian & Compasionate visa extension (or whatever it is)?

If anyone could break it down for us we'd really appreciate it.

Garrick & Rachel Webster

Old Dec 28th 2001, 6:33 am
Andrew Miller

The truth is the only way to go, no matter what.

Contact me directly for more detailed advice.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 28th 2001, 8:52 am
Webimmigration.Com

Hi:

Technically, visitor's to Canada have the burden of satisfying the immigration
officer at the port of entry that they only intend on entering Canada temporarily.

It is always best to be truthful, as it is an offence to misrepresent. But, you are
not obligated to provide information that has not been requested from you.

Although you maybe hassled at the port of entry, you can always request a Minister's
permit to allow your wife entry into Canada as a visitor.

Once you have entered Canada, you are entitled to sponsor your wife from
within Canada.

If you want to avoid any of the above hassles, you may want to consider submitting an
application to sponsor your wife, while you are outside of Canada, and wait for her
immigrant visa before entering Canada. The only problem with this is that processing
times may take up to one year.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 6th 2002, 10:41 pm
Rudy Amid

Actually, I'm also interested to know what the answer is. We'll be doing the same
thing this year. Can you post it and share it with the rest of us?

I can only see one reason why sponsoring a spouse has to be done outside Canada:
Police background check report. However, Canada may have the jurisdiction to pull up
criminal records around the world, or the embassy can provide one-- so this may not
be a problem.

regards, Rudy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hello - a question to anyone who might be able to advise:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I am a Canadian Citizen who has married someone in the UK. We got married in May[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2000 but have been together for 8 years.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > We've decided to move to Canada and have had various bits of advice and picked up[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > all sorts of (sometimes confusing) information from the High Commission in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > London, word of mouth and different immigration sites and forums.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Would the following work in terms of getting my wife into Canada with me as a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 'visitor' or whatever until we can get her PR status through?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 1) we fly to Toronto together with our passports, marriage certificate, wedding[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > photos, copies of old bills, money, etc[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 2) we have with us a return ticket for my wife, just in case (say 3 months)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > 3) we tell the Immigration Officers up front that we intend to live together in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Canada henceforth while my wife applies for PR with me as a sponsor[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't see why we should be apart whilst she goes through the process of getting[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Permanent Resident status, and I really need to be based in Canada in order to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > work. However we don't want to deceive the Immigration officials in case that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > works against us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I've heard that under the new system that is coming in, that to enter under false[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > pretenses (ie for her to pretend to be visiting) would create problems for us.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > One other question: would our case be applicable for the Humanitarian &[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Compasionate visa extension (or whatever it is)?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If anyone could break it down for us we'd really appreciate it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Garrick & Rachel Webster[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]

>