Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US Based COmpany

Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US Based COmpany

Old Jul 8th 2002, 2:20 pm
Shekar

Default Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US Based COmpany

Hi,

Can someone help me to answer this question. Currently I am in process of Canadian
immigration which might take another year or less. I am working for reputed company
in USA under H-1B Visa. ( Citizen of different country). My company is willing to let
me work remotely. Can I immigrate to Canada and can still work for the american
company. Or is it too much of hassle for my company and myself to go through this
process. Any information or link to this questions is very much appreciated.

Thanks. Shekar

Old Jul 9th 2002, 4:20 am
David Cohen

Default Re: Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US Based COmpany

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone help me to answer this question. Currently I am in process of Canadian
    > immigration which might take another year or less. I am working for reputed company
    > in USA under H-1B Visa. ( Citizen of different country). My company is willing to
    > let me work remotely. Can I immigrate to Canada and can still work for the american
    > company. Or is it too much of hassle for my company and myself to go through this
    > process. Any information or link to this questions is very much appreciated.

Once you are a permanent resident of Canada, there is no bar to working remotely for
your US employer. No special procedures would be required to do so from an
immigration standpoint.
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
[email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Old Jul 12th 2002, 7:20 am
Vyacheslav Zava

Default Re: Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a

Well, you will just become an independent constractor and will recive cheques in the
mail. If you want to be an employee, your company will have to register as canadian
entity and it will probably not want to do it Shekar wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can someone help me to answer this question. Currently I am in process of Canadian
    > immigration which might take another year or less. I am working for reputed company
    > in USA under H-1B Visa. ( Citizen of different country). My company is willing to
    > let me work remotely. Can I immigrate to Canada and can still work for the american
    > company. Or is it too much of hassle for my company and myself to go through this
    > process. Any information or link to this questions is very much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks. Shekar

Old Jul 12th 2002, 8:20 am
Shekar

Default Re: Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US Based COmpany

David Cohen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] a>...
    > In article <[email protected] >,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Can someone help me to answer this question. Currently I am in process of
    > > Canadian immigration which might take another year or less. I am working for
    > > reputed company in USA under H-1B Visa. ( Citizen of different country). My
    > > company is willing to let me work remotely. Can I immigrate to Canada and can
    > > still work for the american company. Or is it too much of hassle for my company
    > > and myself to go through this process. Any information or link to this questions
    > > is very much appreciated.
    >
    > Once you are a permanent resident of Canada, there is no bar to working remotely
    > for your US employer. No special procedures would be required to do so from an
    > immigration standpoint.
    > ________
    > CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    >
    > Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community

Thanks for the reply. Its really a very positive for me. But how does that payroll
work?. Does my company need to get any approval or paper work done from Canadian
Tax/Government to pay me while I am in Canada?. Thanks in advance for taking time to
answer my question.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 2:20 pm
Klmok

On 12 Jul 2002 12:22:58 -0700, [email protected] (Shekar) wrote:
    >
    >> Once you are a permanent resident of Canada, there is no bar to working remotely
    >> for your US employer. No special procedures would be required to do so from an
    >> immigration standpoint.
    >> ________
    >> CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    >> [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    >>
    >> Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community
    >
    >Thanks for the reply. Its really a very positive for me. But how does that payroll
    >work?. Does my company need to get any approval or paper work done from Canadian
    >Tax/Government to pay me while I am in Canada?. Thanks in advance for taking time to
    >answer my question.

You do have to register with CCRA (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) as a taxable
resident. When you get your Canadian social insurance number (SIN) that's automatic
anyway. Your US income is taxable as part of your world income. However, there is a
double taxation agreement with the US where if you are taxed in one country you will
not be taxed again in the other. Exactly how this works do see a CCRA officer to get
a ruling. Just walk in an pick a number. No appointment is necessary and no fees
charged to see the CCRA. Also see the US taxation authorities on the same matter to
get a complete picture. Your principal tax will be assessed there as your employer is
States-side.

Old Jul 30th 2002, 3:22 pm
Stuart Brook

Default Re: Moving to Canada : Question if I can still work remotely to a US

klmok wrote:
    >
    > On 12 Jul 2002 12:22:58 -0700, [email protected] (Shekar) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Once you are a permanent resident of Canada, there is no bar to working remotely
    > >> for your US employer. No special procedures would be required to do so from an
    > >> immigration standpoint.
    > >> ________
    > >> CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law tel:514.937.9445 / fax:514.937.2618
    > >> [email protected] http://canadavisa.com
    > >>
    > >> Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community
    > >
    > >Thanks for the reply. Its really a very positive for me. But how does that payroll
    > >work?. Does my company need to get any approval or paper work done from Canadian
    > >Tax/Government to pay me while I am in Canada?. Thanks in advance for taking time
    > >to answer my question.
    >
    > You do have to register with CCRA (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) as a taxable
    > resident. When you get your Canadian social insurance number (SIN) that's automatic
    > anyway. Your US income is taxable as part of your world income. However, there is a
    > double taxation agreement with the US where if you are taxed in one country you
    > will not be taxed again in the other. Exactly how this works do see a CCRA officer
    > to get a ruling. Just walk in an pick a number. No appointment is necessary and no
    > fees charged to see the CCRA. Also see the US taxation authorities on the same
    > matter to get a complete picture. Your principal tax will be assessed there as your
    > employer is States-side.

Actually, your US employer *can* register with CCRA as a Canadian employer and pay
you as a Canadian employee ... There are several payroll companies that will do a
Canadian payroll of 1 for a US employer, as will some major international payroll
companies like ADP. This way, you don't get mixed up at ALL with US taxation unless
there are other things that tie you to the US.