Moving to Canada for over 50's

Old Nov 25th 2019, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Canada for over 50's

Hi again, some folks here might remember me from about 18 months ago. We were actively pursuing a move to Canada, specifically the Toronto area. We came to realise however that at our age it just wouldn't happen. At the time we were living in Asia and getting to Canada seemed like a race against time (our age). So here we are, living in Spain for the last 18 months and we thought that would be forever....

We can't shake the Canada dream though, our 21 year old is studying with a university in the UK but wants to complete the last year or two of her studies in Brock University (assuming she can get a place) and her plan then would be to live and work in or near Toronto. I have fallen in love with Burlington without ever setting foot there. My husband has over 20 years experience as a contractor in IT (Business Analyst, Banking and Insurance). What we don't have though is age..or we have rather too much of it. Our points are less than 350 for EE and I know the only route in for us is job offer but he's not even getting replies to his applications. I have no skills or work experience. We've been gathering up some paperwork we may need at some point, Police reports and ensuring we have all our relevant certificates, we haven't done the english language test as this won't have any bearing on our points for EE.

Has anyone made the move around the age of 50? is it even possible to get a job offer when you have to then apply for a visa? I did do an assessment with an Immigration agent, they said we had no chance and politely declined to take us any further..but invited us to get back in touch if we got a job offer. I take it our views about not applying for EE are correct as we have no hope of Province Nomination or being selected with such low points?

Any pointers or advice or even just an encouraging story from someone who's "made it" in similar circumstances would be great.

Old Nov 26th 2019, 5:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for over 50's

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Hi again, some folks here might remember me from about 18 months ago. We were actively pursuing a move to Canada, specifically the Toronto area. We came to realise however that at our age it just wouldn't happen. At the time we were living in Asia and getting to Canada seemed like a race against time (our age). So here we are, living in Spain for the last 18 months and we thought that would be forever....

We can't shake the Canada dream though, our 21 year old is studying with a university in the UK but wants to complete the last year or two of her studies in Brock University (assuming she can get a place) and her plan then would be to live and work in or near Toronto. I have fallen in love with Burlington without ever setting foot there. My husband has over 20 years experience as a contractor in IT (Business Analyst, Banking and Insurance). What we don't have though is age..or we have rather too much of it. Our points are less than 350 for EE and I know the only route in for us is job offer but he's not even getting replies to his applications. I have no skills or work experience. We've been gathering up some paperwork we may need at some point, Police reports and ensuring we have all our relevant certificates, we haven't done the english language test as this won't have any bearing on our points for EE.

Has anyone made the move around the age of 50? is it even possible to get a job offer when you have to then apply for a visa? I did do an assessment with an Immigration agent, they said we had no chance and politely declined to take us any further..but invited us to get back in touch if we got a job offer. I take it our views about not applying for EE are correct as we have no hope of Province Nomination or being selected with such low points?

Any pointers or advice or even just an encouraging story from someone who's "made it" in similar circumstances would be great.
There are many routes - not just a job offer, although that would be a quicker way. Have you explored the Atlantic Provinces for work opportunities though? They have a pilot project which includes some IT workers - as does BC. The Atlantic Provinces have lists of designated employees who are actively seeking workers - so that would be a good place to start. I realise that ultimately you would like to be in Burlington (it's a lovely place) but needs must - and perhaps that could be a longer term plan First thing is to get into Canada - and you go where the work is or where you can find a route.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot

It's not going to be the easiest thing to do, I won't sugar coat it! Please don't waste your money on an Immigration Consultant - they can't magic up points you don't have nor can they qualify you for routes you can't apply for. Save the money for the proof of funds requirements! Do also have a good read of our Wiki on job hunting... https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

I'm going to move your thread to our Immigration forum, that way you will get more relevant responses.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 26th 2019 at 5:24 am.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie,

I remember you from the last time I was posting here, you were very helpful then as well.

My hubby and I would also love to live in Halifax, for us that would be a very happy destination and if we moved there, we probably wouldn't move away. Our daughter is dead set on Toronto or at least the GTA which is why we focused on there. We did look at the Pilot Project last time but haven't looked too closely this time around. I wasn't aware of anything like that in BC, I'll take a look there.

I'm a musician (bagpipes) and I would love to be near the action for that, Burlington would place me right in the heart of the Ontario scene, BC would be good and Halifax not so much. The biggest consideration though is my husbands ability to get continuous employment.

Thanks again, maybe I'll see you in Burlington at some point, fingers crossed.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 2:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Siouxie,

I remember you from the last time I was posting here, you were very helpful then as well.

My hubby and I would also love to live in Halifax, for us that would be a very happy destination and if we moved there, we probably wouldn't move away. Our daughter is dead set on Toronto or at least the GTA which is why we focused on there. We did look at the Pilot Project last time but haven't looked too closely this time around. I wasn't aware of anything like that in BC, I'll take a look there.

I'm a musician (bagpipes) and I would love to be near the action for that, Burlington would place me right in the heart of the Ontario scene, BC would be good and Halifax not so much. The biggest consideration though is my husbands ability to get continuous employment.

Thanks again, maybe I'll see you in Burlington at some point, fingers crossed.
You are very welcome!

The Eastern Provinces has the Piping College of Canada - https://collegeofpiping.com/ and there's lots of highland games events too.
Pipers Club

Have another look at the Atlantic Provinces Pilot - the different Provinces now list the designated employers, so a little easier to find that all important sponsor and job!
Old Nov 26th 2019, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I've spent so much time plotting out the competitions I'll play in around Ontario but I haven't yet done the same in the Atlantic Provinces.

For now though, I'll have a look at those employer lists. :-)
Old Nov 27th 2019, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

i moved to Toronto aged 50 in 2010. I was a nurse in the uk and although I haven't nursed here my transferable skills have meant I found jobs. My current role is very similar to a role I had in the UK. My husband works as an IT contractor, which he did in the uk.
Good luck!

Last edited by Reidies; Nov 27th 2019 at 7:04 am. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 27th 2019, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Reidies

i moved to Toronto aged 50 in 2010.
Yah!!! thank you. I said to my hubby the other day that I wish I had studied nursing. I was an EMT once upon a time but my registration lapsed when I moved country and couldn't renew it.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 12:26 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Bagpipes are very popular in Eastern Canada. We have The Highland Games here in Fredericton every summer and there are all sorts of Highland Dance groups and competitions.

I would urge you to have a look at the PNP opportunities here if you are really wanting to get a foothold in Canada.

Very best of luck
Old Nov 28th 2019, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I've spent so much time plotting out the competitions I'll play in around Ontario but I haven't yet done the same in the Atlantic Provinces.

For now though, I'll have a look at those employer lists. :-)
Believe me, it isn't called 'Nova Scotia' and the provincial flag doesn't have a saltire on it for nothing!
Old Nov 28th 2019, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

MilliF and Hurlabrick, thank you so much for your responses. I was actually up until after 2am last night researching the area, particularly Halifax, Fredericton, Moncton (as it would be somewhat easy to get to the piping school on PEI on occasion) and Saint John. I am completely taken by the area and the ability to buy a house for less than half of what one would cost in the GTA, settle down and maybe, just maybe, we won't ever have to move again. I need to have my hubby take a look at the availabilty of employment in his field in each of those but at the moment I would be happy in any of this. I love the idea of living on PEI but I doubt my husband could find work there.

We were so caught up in looking where my daughter wants to be that we lost sight of what we, the older members of the family, really love.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 7:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Bagpipes are very popular in Eastern Canada. We have The Highland Games here in Fredericton every summer and there are all sorts of Highland Dance groups and competitions.
I think just about everywhere has them. I had assumed it was something that moved around NB but it seems everywhere just has their own version.

Old Nov 28th 2019, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think just about everywhere has them. I had assumed it was something that moved around NB but it seems everywhere just has their own version.
There is an official body that organises the competitions for pipers/drummers/pipe bands and my understanding is there are Highland games all over the region. I know a few pipers over there as they travel to the UK to compete, as I currently do..and ofcourse we "know" each other through social media.

I think the area is the most "scottish" in all of Canada but piping, highland Dancing and pipe bands are very popular throughout Canada and the standard is very, very high as well. If I'm not living over there by the summer I may plan a looksee visit and come and play at a couple of competitions.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...my understanding is there are Highland games all over the region...
That does seem to be the case. The NB Highland Games appear to take place in Fredericton but that name makes it sound like the highland games of the province, official ones and in the Capital too. But then there's Moncton Highland Games as a separate event and also Miramichi up the coast a bit.

There was some railway journey series presented by Michael Portillo on BBC2 and one of them featured this area and the games.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 12:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

There was some railway journey series presented by Michael Portillo on BBC2 and one of them featured this area and the games.
My husband and I have a game we play where we bet on what horror show outfit he's going to be wearing each episode
Old Nov 29th 2019, 1:12 am
Banned

Let's try and keep to Immigration matters please - other chit chat can go in the main Canada forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.