Moving to Canada for one year

Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Canada for one year

Having moved my children here, oldest was 5 at the time, is now 7, changing schools like that for just one year is not something I would put them through.

The education system in Canada is very different, especially in the earlier years. They start school later here, and don't teach anything like the same curriculum. The equivalent age class will be well behind the UK academic achievement level they have come from . Our daughter basically learned nothing in her first year here. Since we are staying permanently, its not a problem for us as we are confident it will all work out long term, but if your child did just a year here and went back to the UK, they would be considerably disadvantaged compared to their peers when they got back.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Education isn't all about academics you know. Especially when kids are younger. I'm sure your daughter learnt a great deal in that year even if not in traditional school subjects.

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 17th 2018 at 3:14 am.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

fourspoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Education isn't all about academics you know. Especially when kids are younger.
Of course, I'm not saying the UK system is better, in fact I would say the Canadian system does a much better job of providing an 'all round' education to the younger kids. But they ARE out of step with each other, with a different starting age and different focuses.
Going back to that class in the UK as a 9 year old could be brutal. If it was forced on your family by circumstance then so be it, but I wouldn't knowing put my child through that just to have a year abroad for fun.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 6:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think kids are pretty adaptable. A year in a different system has advantages as well as disadvantages. When we first came to Canada we home schooled for a while out of necessity and that was rather fun for all of us. I would imagine the issue is going to be a lot more about whether the OP can come here for a year in the first place.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

A reminder please.......we try to keep threads in the immi forums on track. Please keep responses to visa related issues rather than schooling opinions, thx.