Moving to Canada for one year

Old Oct 13th 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Alexoreilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada for one year

Good morning all...new to this page and hoping I can get some of the answers I’m lookkng for.
My sister lives in Canada (Cochrane, Alberta) with her husband and children. They have their permanent residency (can’t remover the proper name for it), have purchased a house over there and both have good jobs. I’ve visited many times and am totally in love with Canada.
For ages I’ve wished I could move out there but I have an 8 year old daughter whose dad I have split up from so it wouldn’t be fair (or allowed) for me to take her away permanently. With this in mind I am hoping he will agree to let me take her away for one year on the basis I bring her back for visits and he can visit whenever he wants. That is obviously my main hurdle but I’m hoping he will see it as amazing opportunity for her. Before I ask him I want to make sure I have all the facts so that’s where I’m hoping you can help...pretty please 🙂
We would live with my sister. I have two job offers, neither massive earners but would be more than enough to support my daughter and I, and give my sister keep for bills etc.
Can anyone help with what kind of visa I will need?
How much money would I need to have in my account in order for me to be allowed to stay for a year?
My daughters school here in the UK are willing to hold her place for one year and I’ve been in touch with the school my nephews are in and there doesn’t seem to be any major issues with her joining the school for one year.
And can anyone else give me any tips/info/advice. I need to be armed with all the information I can possibly get.
Thanks in advance
Alexandra 🙂

Last edited by Alexoreilly; Oct 13th 2018 at 12:08 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for one year

Hi, welcome to BE.

Visa first, before worrying about schools etc. How old are you? What are the job offers you’ve received and when you say ‘not massive earners’, what kind of salary are we talking?
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi there
Thanks for your response.
Yes I would sort visas first of course, I just don’t want to leave any stone unturned.
I’m 38. One job offer is a personal assistant to a professional couple (admin, banking etc) and the other is in their coffee shop (mainly serving but also some of the admin too). I can take one or both jobs and work them around each other.
Salary wise, it would work out around £18-20k
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You could only take one job, your work permit will be tied to that role and you won’t be allowed to do another alongside it.

I’m not sure either job is likely to get an LMIA granted tbh, but are the couple happy to pay the money and sponsor you to give it a try? The jobs are very different, but remember that to get the LMIA granted, you’ll need to show you have experience of a similar role and suitable qualifications etc, so which of those two roles have you done before in the UK? Or have you done both?
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to sound daft but what is the LMIA?
ok thanks...in that case it would be the PA job I’d go for as that’s the kind of job I have most experience in here in the UK.
They could potentially sponsor me, didn’t think we would need to consider that route with it only being for a year but will look into it. Do you have any idea how much it would be?
Apologies if I’m sounding dumb, it’s all new to me so it’s great to find people with more knowledge!
Thank you 🙂
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

An LMIA is something the potential employer has to apply for, to prove they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. It costs them $1000, is quite a lot of paperwork for them, and usually takes about 3 to 4 months to be processed. Once you’ve got the LMIA, you can then apply for your work permit.

Just checking, this couple isn’t your sister and her husband is it? It’s just that the LMIA wouldn’t be granted if you’re related to the applicant.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 13th 2018 at 12:45 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think this is one of these situations where somebody knows somebody who is willing to employ another person without knowing what is required.
If this couple wish to hire you as a PA then they will have to advertise the job as per the regulations for hiring a foreign worker. They must be also able to prove that no Canadian citizen or PR is qualified to do this job. The employer then has to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment and pay $1000 for the application. There is no guarantee the application will result in a LMIA being issued.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
An LMIA is something the potential employer has to apply for, to prove they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. It costs them $1000, is quite a lot of paperwork for them, and usually takes about 3 to 4 months to be processed. You can’t get a work permit without the LMIA.

just checking, this couple is your sister and her husband is it? It’s just that the LMIA wouldn’t be granted if you’re related to the applicant.
Yes the couple I would live with is my sister and her husband...so does that mean I won’t be able to get a work permit?
Thank you
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Alexoreilly

Yes the couple I would live with is my sister and her husband...so does that mean I won’t be able to get a work permit?
Thank you
I didn’t mean the couple you’d be living with, I meant the couple hiring you.....or are they one and the same?
Old Oct 13th 2018, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Apologies. No, the job offer is from someone independent to my family members.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 1:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Apologies. No, the job offer is from someone independent to my family members.
OK, that’s good. Are they aware of what’s involved in hiring a foreign worker and are they happy to do so? Seems a lot of cost and hassle just for a year tbh.

This is the description for your NOC code (they’ll need to make sure the ad matches this) - NOC 2011 - 1241 - Administrative assistants - Unit group

It’s not looking great for getting a LMIA granted for that NOC code tbh - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...on/24789/22310 But they need to advertise it nationally and see who applies first, if they haven’t already done so.

Salary wise, it’s far too low and you won’t get a LMIA granted at that level. See above for info, for a LMIA to be granted the job must be paying at least the median hourly rate, which is $25ph - roughly $49,000 (£29,000) based on a 37.5 hour week.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 13th 2018 at 1:18 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Good morning all...new to this page and hoping I can get some of the answers I’m lookkng for.
My sister lives in Canada (Cochrane, Alberta) with her husband and children. They have their permanent residency (can’t remover the proper name for it), have purchased a house over there and both have good jobs. I’ve visited many times and am totally in love with Canada.
For ages I’ve wished I could move out there but I have an 8 year old daughter whose dad I have split up from so it wouldn’t be fair (or allowed) for me to take her away permanently. With this in mind I am hoping he will agree to let me take her away for one year on the basis I bring her back for visits and he can visit whenever he wants. That is obviously my main hurdle but I’m hoping he will see it as amazing opportunity for her. Before I ask him I want to make sure I have all the facts so that’s where I’m hoping you can help...pretty please 🙂
We would live with my sister. I have two job offers, neither massive earners but would be more than enough to support my daughter and I, and give my sister keep for bills etc.
Can anyone help with what kind of visa I will need?
How much money would I need to have in my account in order for me to be allowed to stay for a year?
My daughters school here in the UK are willing to hold her place for one year and I’ve been in touch with the school my nephews are in and there doesn’t seem to be any major issues with her joining the school for one year.
And can anyone else give me any tips/info/advice. I need to be armed with all the information I can possibly get.
Thanks in advance
Alexandra 🙂
Thanks for all the responses so far, it’s all been very helpful. It looks like the job offer may not be straight forward so one more question...does anyone know how much money I’d need to have to be able to go for a year and support myself in that way? I’ve tried to find answers online but finding varied answers...anything between £12-200k.
Thanks again
Old Oct 13th 2018, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the responses so far, it’s all been very helpful. It looks like the job offer may not be straight forward so one more question...does anyone know how much money I’d need to have to be able to go for a year and support myself in that way? I’ve tried to find answers online but finding varied answers...anything between £12-200k.
Thanks again
Again its not a question of how much you might need but would you be allowed to stay that long? Normally a visitor is allowed up to 6 months and can request an extension of stay once they are in Canada. This will depend on a number of factors like why do you need to stay for 12 months? How will you support yourself for 12 months and what is the likelihood of you working and if you will leave at the end of your visit. dependent on the examining officer on arrival in Canada they could limit the amount of stay for say 2 months or even 2 weeks. Its something you need to think about as its no guarantee you will get 12 months and then what?
Old Oct 13th 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd also have to factor in a study permit and fees for your child to attend school.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yep, as FL has said you may well only get a couple of weeks entry, or even be refused entry if the immi officer suspects you're trying to live in Canada without the visa to do so. It's a very risky strategy and not one I'd be taking with a child if I'm honest, far too disruptive to them if you get turned away. But cost wise, assuming you'll be living with your sister so have no rent to pay and only contributions towards bills and food etc, then with having to pay for medical and schooling I'd guess maybe something like £30k for the year? That is a complete guess though, so you'd need to do some careful budgeting to make sure you have enough.

One other thing that's occurred to me is that if you do go down the Temp Work Permit route is that the permission your ex will have to give is for you to remove his child from UK jurisdiction, there's no time limit on it. Effectively, for you to get the visa he'll have to give permission for you to remove the child from the UK permanently. Would he be happy to do that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.