Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada to live with same-sex partner

Wikiposts

Moving to Canada to live with same-sex partner

Old Dec 18th 2008, 10:01 am
n17
Just Joined

n17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada to live with same-sex partner

I am a British citizen and want to move to Canada to be with my partner, who is a Canadian citizen. What is the process for same-sex couples? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:02 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada to live with same-sex partner

It is exactly the same as for hetrosexual couples. If you can demonstrate that you have lived as a couple for at least 12 months then your partner can sponsor you. See the wiki here.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 11:21 am
n17
Just Joined

n17 is an unknown quantity at this point

But we have not lived together - you mean once I arrive and spend 12 months with him? Thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by n17
But we have not lived together - you mean once I arrive and spend 12 months with him? Thanks.
If you haven't lived together then you don't qualify for spousal sponsorship. You have to be able prove you've been in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 months prior to your submission.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As Zed correctly said, as you haven't lived together you don't qualify to be sponsored by him/her I'm afraid. So that route is out.

You'll need to figure out another way of getting a visa so have a read of this Wiki article to get you started.....................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration

Are you under 30? If so then your best bet is to go for a Bunac visa which would give you a year to live and work in Canada, and then once that year is up your partner could sponsor you under spousal sponsorship.

If you're not under 30 then you'll probably have to try and find a job as that's your only other chance. But have a read of the link and then come back with any questions.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by n17
I am a British citizen and want to move to Canada to be with my partner, who is a Canadian citizen. What is the process for same-sex couples? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
If you have not lived together but you have a real relationship and intend such relationship to become permanent you can get married and then your spouse can sponsor you for permanent residence.

Good luck,

Marie