Wikiposts

Moving to Canada from Ireland

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada from Ireland

Originally Posted by orly
despite being from a foreign country.

Please. We are not going there! I don’t want to sound rude but can this topic be dropped, I will start the thread again if I have to, because this could descend into a silly argument. I think it’s very clear my opinions on my nationality yet you write that the north & south of Ireland are "foreign" countries from each other. I find this offensive & i think you know i will, pathetic. You’re entitled to your opinion yes, but this was my thread. My questions, so back to the point please!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 4:21 am
Just Joined

mixmastermatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your post. Lets get back to the topic.

*price of visa for up to 2yr stay... Do you have to reapply after the first yr?
It's $150 CAD. So about £90 (or just over 100 euro). If you are doing it on a British passport than you can get TWO 12 month temporary work permits through IEC and you have to under that age of 31. You would also have to apply for your 2nd work permit during the window of application following the one from your first work permit (I.E about 12 months later). Alternatively, if you are using an Irish passport then you get a 24 month work permit through the IEC so long as you under 35. You can only get this work permit once. Either way, you can stay in Canada on the IEC for up to 2 years - but if you have an Irish passport than it would be easier to use that in this instance. The other thing to consider is that the UK window for 2014 is now closed and a waiting list (which I estimate to be rather long) is now in place. The Irish window will open imminently, so you haven't missed it for 2014.

*how much are you expected to have in your account when arriving in Canada?
$2500 CAD. Which works out at just over £1400 - so about 1600 euro.

*I have a HND that qualifies me as a classroom assistant here (N.Ireland & UK) will it be recognised in Canada?
I am not sure of this, but possibly not. However, I understand that there is more information on this on the Canadian government website and that rules vary for each province. So if it were to be available in say, Ontario, then it may not be in British Columbia.

*And is a UK driving licence usable in Canada or would you have to do another test?
It would be for at least a short amount of time, same as it would be if you were holidaying in Canada and rented a car. However, I am not sure what the time period is to swap it for a Canadian one. My understanding is that you wouldn't have to do a test, you just swap it.

I hope this helps you. I am moving to Canada at some point this year and I am a British citizen from England. However, a friend of mine may be coming too and she is an Irish citizen so would be applying through the Irish IEC.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck on getting everything sorted.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
Hi Julie,

It's $150 CAD. So about £90 (or just over 100 euro). If you are doing it on a British passport than you can get TWO 12 month temporary work permits through IEC and you have to under that age of 31. You would also have to apply for your 2nd work permit during the window of application following the one from your first work permit (I.E about 12 months later). Alternatively, if you are using an Irish passport then you get a 24 month work permit through the IEC so long as you under 35. You can only get this work permit once. Either way, you can stay in Canada on the IEC for up to 2 years - but if you have an Irish passport than it would be easier to use that in this instance. The other thing to consider is that the UK window for 2014 is now closed and a waiting list (which I estimate to be rather long) is now in place. The Irish window will open imminently, so you haven't missed it for 2014.

*I have a HND that qualifies me as a classroom assistant here (N.Ireland & UK) will it be recognised in Canada?
I am not sure of this, but possibly not. However, I understand that there is more information on this on the Canadian government website and that rules vary for each province. So if it were to be available in say, Ontario, then it may not be in British Columbia.

*And is a UK driving licence usable in Canada or would you have to do another test?
It would be for at least a short amount of time, same as it would be if you were holidaying in Canada and rented a car. However, I am not sure what the time period is to swap it for a Canadian one. My understanding is that you wouldn't have to do a test, you just swap it.

I hope this helps you. I am moving to Canada at some point this year and I am a British citizen from England. However, a friend of mine may be coming too and she is an Irish citizen so would be applying through the Irish IEC.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck on getting everything sorted.
post #3.

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mixmastermatt
Hi Julie,

Hey, thanks for all the facts and figures there. We are currently doing the figures now and working out a rough estimate of costs for the first few months. My bf is probably going to get a car he has his drivers licence 3/4yrs so will be more straight forward for him, am still doing my lessons, so ( i pass lol) i'll only have my licence when we would arrive, might be to much hassle with insurance. I am meeting up my a careers tutor tomorrow in college to talk about my qualifications and what they are equivalent to in other countries, hes going to help put my CV onto the required template to. Its amazing the stuff you find out on forums like this, that we never would have thought of! Cheers