Moving to Canada before PR

Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

vetal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada before PR

What are the advantages/disadvantages of moving to Canada on a work permit before Canadian PR is granted? I've submitted my application in Dec '03 and now waiting for PP request. If I move to Canada on work permit before that, then I'll be able to accumulate some days towards citizenship. What other points should I take into account?
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:34 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada before PR

Originally Posted by vetal
What are the advantages/disadvantages of moving to Canada on a work permit before Canadian PR is granted? I've submitted my application in Dec '03 and now waiting for PP request. If I move to Canada on work permit before that, then I'll be able to accumulate some days towards citizenship. What other points should I take into account?
The main one would be that you are in canada, working, and get a chance to see if you like it. Cant really see a downside except that credit is harder to get (but when you PR comes through you at least have some history) and you can only work for that one company in the job specified on the permit, which can be very stressfull if people are getting laid off around you.

The real difficulty is getting the job in the first place.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

I agree, but again if you are working on H1 in U.S., its the same deal, you endup working with the same company. BTW, does anyone here have any idea about US green card processing and whats the impact of newly created backlog elimination center?

Originally Posted by iaink
The main one would be that you are in canada, working, and get a chance to see if you like it. Cant really see a downside except that credit is harder to get (but when you PR comes through you at least have some history) and you can only work for that one company in the job specified on the permit, which can be very stressfull if people are getting laid off around you.

The real difficulty is getting the job in the first place.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 10:32 am
Just Joined

harper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada before PR

Dear Vetal,
Do you want to share your timeline pls ? I applied in Nov 03 & havent heard anything back from CIC London even when I had approved job offer.
Reply to your question - yes, you can go forward & join your employer, wouldnt be a problem. The only thing is, you never know how your employer is going to behave when he knows you dont have any more choice. Just worries me. Rest is your choice.
Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:15 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by vetal
For almost every Skilled Worker applicant of this forum coming on a work permit until PR comes through is the dream of all of our sleepless nights while we log on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on to our e-clients ever staring at the words IN PROCESS until the first crack of dawn magically breaks the spell for the time that it takes to get through the shower and breakfast to trod through the daily routine of our NOT YET CANADIAN lives interrupted only occasionally by steeling ourselves from reality for a second or two to take a peek at a "Got it" post, to check for changes on yogi799 or to finally fall back under the spell of checking.

Does that anwer your question

Last edited by mhhp; Jan 25th 2005 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:30 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

> Bang on the button LOL with bittersweet ironic smile or is that a sardonic cringe, betraying vestiges of frustration. Is the pasty face and milky white eyes the giveaway look of those that are in a state of almost complete transition, stuck like hung game birds between two lives, a reality and a dream, struggling frantically like ducks paddling their tiny webbed feet underwater, all chaos underneath that calm exterior ? Why oh why can't CIC issue 'suspension of life' tablets (for that would certainly be worth $500) so that we may just slumber unknowingly, until one day we wake up and shout the 'yippee I got it' mantra of the haunted PR soul.

Ah, I have found a wavelength.... the PR radio has tuned in. Calling Radio Chaos calling Radio Chaos ...blubber blubber why are the walls padded and warm and I can see white static and hear fruit and suchlike blah blah....oh and were my forms completed OK by the way ?

Originally Posted by mhhp
For almost every Skilled Worker applicant of this forum coming on a work permit until PR comes through is the dream of all of our sleepless nights while we log on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on to our e-clients ever staring at the words IN PROCESS until the first crack of dawn magically breaks the spell for the time that it takes to get through the shower and breakfast to trod through the daily routine of our NOT YET CANADIAN lives interrupted only occasionally by steeling ourselves from reality for a second or two to take a peek at a "Got it" post, to check for changes on yogi799 or to finally fall back under the spell of checking.

Does that anwer your question
Old Jan 26th 2005, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harper
Dear Vetal,
Do you want to share your timeline pls ? I applied in Nov 03 & havent heard anything back from CIC London even when I had approved job offer.
Reply to your question - yes, you can go forward & join your employer, wouldnt be a problem. The only thing is, you never know how your employer is going to behave when he knows you dont have any more choice. Just worries me. Rest is your choice.
Good luck.
Hi, just thought I would give you our timeline (so far) -
Approved job offer early Jan 05,
sent visa application etc. via job agency 10 Jan 05
Medical request sent to us 25 Jan
Good luck
Linda P
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

I've applied in Buffalo and my timeline is:

App sent Dec '03
IA Aug '04
Med Sep '04
Docs Nov '04

Originally Posted by harper
Dear Vetal,
Good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 2:29 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
> Bang on the button LOL with bittersweet ironic smile or is that a sardonic cringe, betraying vestiges of frustration. Is the pasty face and milky white eyes the giveaway look of those that are in a state of almost complete transition, stuck like hung game birds between two lives, a reality and a dream, struggling frantically like ducks paddling their tiny webbed feet underwater, all chaos underneath that calm exterior ? Why oh why can't CIC issue 'suspension of life' tablets (for that would certainly be worth $500) so that we may just slumber unknowingly, until one day we wake up and shout the 'yippee I got it' mantra of the haunted PR soul.

Ah, I have found a wavelength.... the PR radio has tuned in. Calling Radio Chaos calling Radio Chaos ...blubber blubber why are the walls padded and warm and I can see white static and hear fruit and suchlike blah blah....oh and were my forms completed OK by the way ?
Someone who understands how I feel.
Now that deserves a click on your KARMA button. Check it out.

Here is to you
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:41 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

bada bada...........
>
>
>
bing !

One sweet morn we will approach clumsily upon the door mat in our usual be-stubbled, lumbering, stupour, yet it will have a beautiful, gilt edged, shimmering, A4 envelope sitting pretty...til then, let us dream the sweet somnambulance of the ever-hopeful, the zombie sleep of the PR applicant.

Oh how I wish for the sweet soma of the CIC to waft down upon me and sweep me away to a distant nether world, where all hopes and dreams are suspended and the world becomes a blurred mush, somewhat like a cocktail of daytime TV, shopping mall ambience and elevator music. For there can be no worse hell than that of the PR wannabee....not even Richard and Judy, Trisha or Robert Kilroy Silk can dethrone the PR process from holding true and rightful place as king of all misery !

influenced by cheap white wine and the dull trivia of local newspapers.