Moving to Canada.

Old Nov 24th 2022, 2:31 am
Just Joined

adsmcneill is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Moving to Canada.

New to this site and just wanted some advice if possible. My partner and I want to move to Canada and were wondering how hard and long the process would be for a Spousal Visa. I am British with my partner being Canadian. She currently works in the UK as an optometrist and I work as a contracts manager. We have been living together for over 2 years and obviously the plan is marriage eventually. We were just wondering how likely it would be for me to get a visa? My partner could sponsor me but it would most likely be with help from her parents for the first few months while she is accepted to a job. We would be staying with her parents for the first few months until we got up a running. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks - Adam
Old Nov 24th 2022, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada.

Originally Posted by adsmcneill
New to this site and just wanted some advice if possible. My partner and I want to move to Canada and were wondering how hard and long the process would be for a Spousal Visa. I am British with my partner being Canadian. She currently works in the UK as an optometrist and I work as a contracts manager. We have been living together for over 2 years and obviously the plan is marriage eventually. We were just wondering how likely it would be for me to get a visa? My partner could sponsor me but it would most likely be with help from her parents for the first few months while she is accepted to a job. We would be staying with her parents for the first few months until we got up a running. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks - Adam
Hi, welcome to BE.

Your partner wouldn't need her parents to help (nor would they be able to, there's no 'son-in-law' sponsorship category), it's very straightforward for her to sponsor you for PR. Figure about a year or so for the process.

Have a look at the Wiki as we have some great info on the spousal sponsorship there, including an amazing page full of FAQ about the application forms and process.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 24th 2022, 3:36 am
Just Joined

adsmcneill is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply much appreciated. So would she need to have employment contract agreed in Canada before we begin the application? And what is the likelihood of this type of visa being granted? Appreciate you may not know but don't want to waste money and time if it is tough to gain citizenship through this type of Visa. We ideally wanted to begin the process in the new year. Thanks again Adam
Old Nov 24th 2022, 3:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adsmcneill
Thanks for your reply much appreciated. So would she need to have employment contract agreed in Canada before we begin the application? And what is the likelihood of this type of visa being granted? Appreciate you may not know but don't want to waste money and time if it is tough to gain citizenship through this type of Visa. We ideally wanted to begin the process in the new year. Thanks again Adam
No, she doesn't need employment. Likelihood is high as long as you meet the requirements (i.e can prove you're common-law spouses, have no recent major criminal record, pass the medical etc).

You wouldn't be gaining citizenship, it's an application for Permanent Residency. Citizenship would be a further application a few years down the line.

As above, have a read of the Wiki to hopefully understand a bit more about the process, or the official website has tons of info too - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ete-guide.html

HTH.
Old Dec 29th 2022, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

London2OntarioRealtor is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like very easy process to me as your partner has canadian rights. She would just be sponsering you. This is a standard process and I know long time ago when as a PR resident I sponsered my wife and she got it within 6month. Might be longer now from what the moderator said 1year. Best of luck with it.