Moving to Canada

Old Sep 15th 2020, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Carl98k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada

Hi, new to the forum and looking for advice.

I’m looking at moving to Canada in the next 12-18 months. I’m 37 and currently work as a fuel tanker driver on the Shell contract.

Previously to this I was in the Royal Marines for 12 years.

I’ve been doing some research with regards to housing and jobs but I’ve found some of it to be quite vague and generic.

So how easy is it to relocate? If I continue driving will there be a need for a conversion course? And most importantly the best location.

I was looking at BC or Alberta. I should also mention my hobbies are rock climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Carl
Old Sep 15th 2020, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada

Hi Carl, welcome to BE.

First question, what visa will you be moving on? Are you a Canadian citizen (or married to one?).
Old Sep 15th 2020, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Carl98k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi Carl, welcome to BE.

First question, what visa will you be moving on? Are you a Canadian citizen (or married to one?).
Thank you Chris. No I’m a uk citizen. I believe I can enter on the skilled list.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:17 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl98k View Post
Thank you Chris. No I’m a uk citizen. I believe I can enter on the skilled list.
I don’t think there is a skilled list any more. Have you taken the points tests to see if you are eligible for a visa? There are people on here wiser than me who can give you the appropriate links. It’s a slow process but well worth it. Good luck and when you can, let us know your scores and people will certainly offer guidance and suggestions.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl98k View Post
As above, there isn't a skilled list for any of the Federal routes, can you give us a link to the list you're looking at?

Your job would normally come under NOC 7511, which isn't classed as skilled, but how long have you been doing it for and what was your previous role? It may be that you could apply using a previous job, but as Rivingtonpike has said, your points are the crucial bit. If you were thinking of applying as a Federal Skilled Worker (which I assume is what you mean by skilled list?), then what do you score on the CRS?

Definitely sort out the visa side of things before worrying about housing etc.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 15th 2020 at 3:32 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:10 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Do have a look at our most excellent Wiki section on the basics of emigrating to Canada.. use the steps by Christmasoompa in the guide to see your points, then post back for advice
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick..._by_step_guide
Some Provinces have routes for truck/transportation drivers, that may work but you would probably need a qualifying job offer... for example..
https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-emp...ream#section-2 - NOC 7511 – transport truck drivers
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/ - NOC 7511 (Transport truck drivers);
We have a trucking section that might be of use too https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/
and a wiki too : https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Truck_Driving_in_Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 15th 2020 at 6:33 pm.