British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   moving to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/moving-canada-926413/)

Christian.m Jul 14th 2019 9:50 am

moving to Canada

Hi All,
could you please advise on the process of moving to Canada from the UK?

our family comprises
myself 46
wife 40
four children 13,10,7 and 6
i currently run a small construction company. my wife does not work

any help much appreciated!

Christian

christmasoompa Jul 14th 2019 11:27 am

Re: moving to Canada

Hi, welcome to BE.

Have you checked to see if you are eligible for a visa? That needs to be your first step. Start here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Once you've worked out which visa route you may be eligible for (if any), feel free to ask questions about it, a search of the forum will usually bring up lots of relevant threads too.

HTH.

Christian.m Jul 14th 2019 2:31 pm

Hi,

i tried out the link that you provided. unfortunately my application was declined. Are there any other ways of trying / or professional bodies who may be able to help navigate around the system?

Christian

Siouxie Jul 14th 2019 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Christian.m (Post 12710302)
Hi, i tried out the link that you provided. unfortunately my application was declined. Are there any other ways of trying / or professional bodies who may be able to help navigate around the system? Christian

It wasn't a denial - an Immigration Consultant can't get you points you don't have, so you have to work out where you can increase them from your background.
"This information is for reference only and no immigration decision will be made based on your answers."
Sometimes even answering the questions incorrectly can result in a 'not at this time' response :) As an example -
the first one - would be "Move there"
2nd - Permanently
3rd - GBS/GBR (or whichever code is in your passport)
4th - England (or Wales / Scotland / Ireland etc.)
5th - No (or Yes)
6th - your date of birth .. year / month / day
7th - Main reason - "Find a Permanent Job"

You should get a
'You might be eligible for Express Entry, which includes the following federal economic immigration programs:

the Federal Skilled Worker Program
the Federal Skilled Trades Program
the Canadian Experience Class
If you select 'start or invest in a business' you would need to designate a Province and then list your net worth then more questions - if investing less than $2 million then you would need to apply under the "Start Up" route to continue, or be told you don't qualify at this time for any of the federal routes (though perhaps a Provincial one). Once you get to the point where it says you might be eligible for Express Entry, you will need to use the CRS calculator to work out your points - and if you are likely to get an invitation from the EE pool.

If you can answer a few questions we might be able to give you some hints, although your age is going to be against you.. it's not impossible :D
What is your trade or profession (i.e. are you an electrician / plumber etc., if you have a 'trade' you could potentially apply under Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) if you were to obtain Provincial Certificate of Qualification - or get a job offer :)

What education level do you and your wife have; do either of you have relatives in Canada; which Province were you hoping to move to? (Certificates of Qualification are Provincial, not Federal)

:)

Christian.m Jul 14th 2019 3:43 pm

Hi,
thanks for the speedy response.
I operate a construction company and have been doing this for the past twenty years. I do not have any qualifications but am a highly regarded house builder.
I also rent out 5 houses in the UK and have a net worth of £2 - £2.5 million.
we do not have any relatives in Canada that I know of.
We are interested in settling around Ottawa.

our ideal situation would be to buy a small holding and re establish a construction company in Canada.

christian

Siouxie Jul 14th 2019 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Christian.m (Post 12710328)
Hi,
thanks for the speedy response.
I operate a construction company and have been doing this for the past twenty years. I do not have any qualifications but am a highly regarded house builder.
I also rent out 5 houses in the UK and have a net worth of £2 - £2.5 million.
we do not have any relatives in Canada that I know of.
We are interested in settling around Ottawa.

our ideal situation would be to buy a small holding and re establish a construction company in Canada.

christian

What were you planning on doing for employment in Canada? You need a route to get into Canada - a profession - unfortunately just having money to invest in property won't necessarily help, although that's a great chunk of change to have!

I don't think the main self employment route will work for you as that is for cultural or athletic applicants. But perhaps you could go down the Start Up program route as linked to in my post above, although you may have difficulties persuading an angel investor to go into a start up with you as a builder as there are many builders in Canada.

Alternatively, if you were willing to think outside of the box/outside of Ontario and invest in/establish a business in one of the Northern BC District industries or similar such as investing/buying a piece of land and having a resort or campground etc., you might have luck. https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...Regional-Pilot

But wait! I've just remembered that Ontario are starting an OINP Entrepreneur Stream... do have a read! https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-entrepreneur-stream
and the pdf for the program (opens in new tab, no need to download) http://www.mri.gov.on.ca/repository/...trepreneur.pdf

:)

Christian.m Jul 14th 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks Siouxie,
I have checked out the entrepreneur route and it looks promising.

The one major issue I have is I unfortunately was not very well behaved in my youth.. 30 years ago I was arrested and convicted of conspiracy to rob and was sentenced to 5 years in a young offenders institute. Will this rule out any chance i could have of moving over to your fare land?

Former Lancastrian Jul 14th 2019 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Christian.m (Post 12710376)
Thanks Siouxie,
I have checked out the entrepreneur route and it looks promising.

The one major issue I have is I unfortunately was not very well behaved in my youth.. 30 years ago I was arrested and convicted of conspiracy to rob and was sentenced to 5 years in a young offenders institute. Will this rule out any chance i could have of moving over to your fare land?

If you were sentenced as a young offender (not an adult sentence) then you should be OK.