Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to british columbia need advice

Wikiposts

Moving to british columbia need advice

Old May 31st 2008, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

jazzyjeff7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to british columbia need advice

HIya Everyone Newbie here.

Hiya So this is my first help post and I would be very grateful if anyone here can give me a few tips.

Ok so here is the situation me and my wife are both educated to degree level and both have 3 years plus working experience. I have completed the free skilled workers test online at cic and we got 73 points which is a pass.

But i still have a few questions, Can I and my wife move to Canada in any other way than this, since I have heard there is a big waiting list?

I have family there in BC and it’s my grans daughter who is my aunt who lives there and is a permanent resident.

How long does the skilled application take? Me and my wife want to be in Canada for 2012, would it be possible to get there for that time? Or is it highly unlikely?

It would be really good for us to move to BC we have already been advised by my family that they have a house ready for us to move into and get settled etc.

I have been to BC nearly every year apart from the university years 2002 to 2006 and I love it , its like home to me since I only have my grandmother who is my only family here.

Well I have to get to work now, so I will look forward to the replies and I will look forward to ask a few more questions.

If you need to ask me anything me feel free to do so.
Old May 31st 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

dss123 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to british columbia need advice

Hi Jazzyjef,

Sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as my wife and I. Your question is very simlar to one I posted a few weeks ago.

Now I'm no expert, but this is what I've learned so far on BE.

I'll also explain a few abrievations that confused me initially!

Obtaining permanent residency (PR) by the skilled worker route (SW) is a lengthy process. General feeling is that it is taking 5 years and more. You can send of a simplified application form, now,which reserves your spot "in the que" then you are asked for more information as the application is processed.

Having an aunt in BC helps your points score but that's it. They can't sponsor you as you are too old (and married). I think you need to be under 18? and single to be sponsored by an aunt.

The rules for SW applications have changed recently though to (i think) expedite the applications of those applicants that are most needed. By that, I mean, best educated, jobs most needed, most adaptable etc etc....

It's still going to be a lengthy process though, but could be sorted by 2012, so that might be ok for you.

If you want to get there quicker, the best option is to try and secure a job before you go. That way you can go over on a temporary work visa (TWV) and apply fo PR when you are out there on the basis of having a full time position.

The job does need to be a certain skill level to qualify though. I'm sure somebody would know more about this.

A similar process applies if you or your wife would like to go to Canada and study.

So that's it from me.

I'll watch your thread with interest as I'm sure others will have more to say that might be of interest to me also.

Good luck

Duncan
Old May 31st 2008, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dss123
Hi Jazzyjef,

Sounds like you are in exactly the same situation as my wife and I. Your question is very simlar to one I posted a few weeks ago.

Now I'm no expert, but this is what I've learned so far on BE.

I'll also explain a few abrievations that confused me initially!

Obtaining permanent residency (PR) by the skilled worker route (SW) is a lengthy process. General feeling is that it is taking 5 years and more. You can send of a simplified application form, now,which reserves your spot "in the que" then you are asked for more information as the application is processed.

Having an aunt in BC helps your points score but that's it. They can't sponsor you as you are too old (and married). I think you need to be under 18? and single to be sponsored by an aunt.

The rules for SW applications have changed recently though to (i think) expedite the applications of those applicants that are most needed. By that, I mean, best educated, jobs most needed, most adaptable etc etc....

It's still going to be a lengthy process though, but could be sorted by 2012, so that might be ok for you.

If you want to get there quicker, the best option is to try and secure a job before you go. That way you can go over on a temporary work visa (TWV) and apply fo PR when you are out there on the basis of having a full time position.

The job does need to be a certain skill level to qualify though. I'm sure somebody would know more about this.

A similar process applies if you or your wife would like to go to Canada and study.

So that's it from me.

I'll watch your thread with interest as I'm sure others will have more to say that might be of interest to me also.

Good luck

Duncan
Duncan you’re a legend mate.

Thank your reply, the advice is great and puts me in a better frame of mind to set things out for the future in terms of moving.

So the family can help the points score so that’s the end of that which is ok.

Right then down to the main stuff, I am ok with the SW application and I was thinking of speaking to a emigration adviser, but no that may not be needed since I have everyone here with bundles of info so I will see where that goes, but if it does take five years or more that should be ok, I will be 29 then so it still good to catch more work experience here in the uk and build my portfolio for the workforce in Canada whilst I am doing this if the application is going well into 2012 then I guess I will start applying for jobs in early Jan of 2012 and see if any offers come my way, or even since my wife is a biomedical scientist more qualified than me she will most likely have the better chance of getting a job offer and we could go then,

But if not well i guess 2013 would not be bad.

I was wondering if anyone knew since the process can be fast forwarded with a job offer, what about jumping the queue ahead of others, I know it’s not fair but is it likely that the process can be faster if we have better education, work experience, money, home in Canada, family etc?
Old May 31st 2008, 2:13 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff7
Duncan you’re a legend mate.

Thank your reply, the advice is great and puts me in a better frame of mind to set things out for the future in terms of moving.

So the family can help the points score so that’s the end of that which is ok.

Right then down to the main stuff, I am ok with the SW application and I was thinking of speaking to a emigration adviser, but no that may not be needed since I have everyone here with bundles of info so I will see where that goes, but if it does take five years or more that should be ok, I will be 29 then so it still good to catch more work experience here in the uk and build my portfolio for the workforce in Canada whilst I am doing this if the application is going well into 2012 then I guess I will start applying for jobs in early Jan of 2012 and see if any offers come my way, or even since my wife is a biomedical scientist more qualified than me she will most likely have the better chance of getting a job offer and we could go then,

But if not well i guess 2013 would not be bad.

I was wondering if anyone knew since the process can be fast forwarded with a job offer, what about jumping the queue ahead of others, I know it’s not fair but is it likely that the process can be faster if we have better education, work experience, money, home in Canada, family etc?
There is no line jumping process, as you say it is not fair. You can however as already told apply for TWP or through BUNAC if under 30. To anyone thinking of completing their own forms and doing their own application, I also recommend brushing up and grammar and spelling.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
There is no line jumping process, as you say it is not fair. You can however as already told apply for TWP or through BUNAC if under 30. To anyone thinking of completing their own forms and doing their own application, I also recommend brushing up and grammar and spelling.
sorry surreyexpat for my bad grammer. thanks for the info again.

For BUNAC can bot me and my wife apply we are both 25 so the age is ok, but can we aplly for PR whislt on the Bunac program.

thanks
Old May 31st 2008, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

For BUNAC can bot me and my wife apply we are both 25 so the age is ok, but can we aplly for PR whislt on the Bunac program.

thanks
This is the Wiki and it might be an idea to read the bits on getting a job and getting into Canada quickly as there has been a lot of info added to it and it will give you a deeper understanding than quick forum posts.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
Old May 31st 2008, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
This is the Wiki and it might be an idea to read the bits on getting a job and getting into Canada quickly as there has been a lot of info added to it and it will give you a deeper understanding than quick forum posts.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Canada
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas

Several regular posters have applied for PR whilst on a BUNAC working visit.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:41 am
Just Joined

dss123 is on a distinguished road

There is no line jumping process, as you say it is not fair
Hey Surrey,

I don't know for sure, but I thought that was the point of the new rules? At the mo' the CIC has to process ALL SW applications, axe murderers, the lot.

My understanding (and I'll admit, this is only what I understand) the new rules mean that the CIC can choose NOT to process applications if they see fit. That can only speed things up for future applicants with high points scores like Jazzy.

That said, there is already a BIG back log, that could take 5 years to process so even with the new rules expediting favorable applicants, they are still going to have a long wait.

Get your simplified application in now Jazzy, that way, come your thirties you will really be ready so sack off the UK and your application should be well along it's way.

Just out of interest Jazzy, you say "build up your portfolio" what line of work are you in?

Dunc
Old May 31st 2008, 2:45 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
Was not aimed at you or anyone individually, just a general comment as information.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dss123
Hey Surrey,

I don't know for sure, but I thought that was the point of the new rules? At the mo' the CIC has to process ALL SW applications, axe murderers, the lot.
Yes, but that is not really line jumping, each application is going into the pool and being processed under the rules and based on skills required in Canada. Which really makes a lot of sense, as hard as it is for everyone who wants to come over and does not qualify.

I admire all you guys going through such a long and hard process to get to Canada. It is all to easy for those of us here to be critical. We have to remember we were all in the same boat at one time or another. I thought the processing time for my application took for ever. Putting your life on hold for 5 years for some is admirable and nerve wracking, not sure I would have stuck it out.
Old May 31st 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

Yes, but that is not really line jumping, each application is going into the pool and being processed under the rules and based on skills required in Canada. Which really makes a lot of sense, as hard as it is for everyone who wants to come over and does not qualify.

I admire all you guys going through such a long and hard process to get to Canada. It is all to easy for those of us here to be critical. We have to remember we were all in the same boat at one time or another. I thought the processing time for my application took for ever. Putting your life on hold for 5 years for some is admirable and nerve wracking, not sure I would have stuck it out.
I am a IT grad nothing special, so dunc I am building my portfolio for the Canadian employers, when I was over there last summer, I had a few words with a few companies who wanted to offer me jobs and they also gave me tips to complete a few extra course that would take me a long way in getting a good job. I had one employer from Ranstad who advised me to do comptia A+ so I am doing that now.

So dunc have u put your application in and how long ago was it?

Cheers everyone for the replies
Old May 31st 2008, 4:42 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully Canadian immigration will put your application to the top of the pile where it clearly deserves to be. Degree in IT after all.Ive heard of some sad cases where the applicants have nothing more to offer than 25 years experience in their given trade,they didn't go to uni at all.
I think it is a disgrace that they should be holding up the perfect applicants

Last edited by Flogger; May 31st 2008 at 4:47 am. Reason: quoting went wrong! should do a course in IT!
Old May 31st 2008, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Sam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura aboutSam the lamb has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Flogger

Hopefully Canadian immigration will put your application to the top of the pile where it clearly deserves to be. Degree in IT after all.Ive heard of some sad cases where the applicants have nothing more to offer than 25 years experience in their given trade,they didn't go to uni at all.
Someone with 25 years in their trade has the right to be treated the same as someone who has been to uni for four years. Just because you have a degree in what ever field does not give you the right to jump the line up.....

The fact that Canada is / was crying out for skilled trades people kind of makes your comment void in my eyes..

What a view to take.
Old May 31st 2008, 6:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam the lamb
Someone with 25 years in their trade has the right to be treated the same as someone who has been to uni for four years. Just because you have a degree in what ever field does not give you the right to jump the line up.....

The fact that Canada is / was crying out for skilled trades people kind of makes your comment void in my eyes..

What a view to take.
Sam...........read Floggers post again. And this time, try and spot the sarcasm which may put a different spin on his 'opinion'.......!!

And to the OP, the following quote from the Wiki might help give you..........hope it does. Basically if you want to get there before 2013 (or potentially even later or never!) then you will need to find a job or go through BUNAC. Have a good read of the Wiki to find out more info about each of these routes. Best of luck - and welcome!

"There frequently are new threads on the Canada forum in which new posters ask questions about the points they've scored on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's self-assessment test.

There was a time when points counted for something.
For all practical purposes, that time has come and gone.
Points are relevant only when you apply for a permanent residence visa via the skilled worker route.
During 2006 and 2007, the waiting times for skilled worker visas without pre-arranged employment had grown to 5 - 8 years (depending on the visa posts to which applications had been submitted).
As the result of legislation tabled on March 14, 2008, it is anticipated that processing times for skilled worker visa applications without pre-arranged employment will grow even longer.
Estimates are that a skilled worker application without pre-arranged employment no longer will be a practical route to Canada. "

"Legislation tabled on March 14, 2008 suggests that even greater priority will be given to applicants who have pre-arranged employment in Canada and who enter by means of temporary work permits or Provincial Nominee Programs or by means of the Canadian Experience Class that is going to be introduced in the autumn of 2008. The number of skilled worker applicants without pre-arranged employment who will be granted entry to Canada is likely to become so small as to be inconsequential. Please see the BE forum discussion thread entitled [**** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****]" http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521862

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 31st 2008 at 6:15 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flogger

Well I just hope your trying to be sarcastic flogger, I only came here for information if you don’t have anything valuable to add then please don't make unnecessary comments

anyway back to the thread, So it seems that the where ever the applications are handled (posts) each location has different time delays on processing, now after searching on the cic uk site I have come across that for the london based application it can take 48 months for the processing, maybe this website has not been updated ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.