Moving Before CHC says ok

Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:10 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Coprolite's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 6
Coprolite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Before CHC says ok

Just having suffered yet another night of the local youths high on their 40p a litre cider taking pot shots at my windows as they pass my house, I was wondering wether I could just up and go 'home' to Canada and inform London CHC that my address will be my BC one.

Is this possible?

If so, are there any problems that i'm not accounting for?
(I am aware I may have to fly back to the UK for an Interview if needed)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
Coprolite is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:56 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 4,483
Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Just having suffered yet another night of the local youths high on their 40p a litre cider taking pot shots at my windows as they pass my house, I was wondering wether I could just up and go 'home' to Canada and inform London CHC that my address will be my BC one.

Is this possible?

If so, are there any problems that i'm not accounting for?
(I am aware I may have to fly back to the UK for an Interview if needed)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
As a UK citizen you can cerntainly vist Canada while your application is in process. Do not hide the fact that you are a sponsored spouse applicant.
Jim Humphries is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:40 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 338
Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Originally Posted by Coprolite
Just having suffered yet another night of the local youths high on their 40p a litre cider taking pot shots at my windows as they pass my house, I was wondering wether I could just up and go 'home' to Canada and inform London CHC that my address will be my BC one.

Is this possible?

If so, are there any problems that i'm not accounting for?
(I am aware I may have to fly back to the UK for an Interview if needed)

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks
That's what we did... We wanted to be back here by Xmas, but my PR wasn't finalised by then, but we came anyway. I just told immigration at the airport that I was coming to visit as a tourist and I had a PR application in process. They wanted to see some doc's from CHC with file numbers etc but it was no problem. As any other tourist you must have a return ticket and sufficient funds for your "holiday" but you don't actually have to use the return ticket if you don't want to. I faxed CHC London and gave them my new address in Canada, and then sent my passport to them for visa fixation via Fedex. They returned my passport to me in Canada and we just drove to the US border, left Canada, re-entered Canada and I landed as a new PR...

So there are no problems with that plan... Just come on over...
Jonny is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:48 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
juliusmaximus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 291
juliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the roughjuliusmaximus is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Originally Posted by Jonny
That's what we did... We wanted to be back here by Xmas, but my PR wasn't finalised by then, but we came anyway. I just told immigration at the airport that I was coming to visit as a tourist and I had a PR application in process. They wanted to see some doc's from CHC with file numbers etc but it was no problem. As any other tourist you must have a return ticket and sufficient funds for your "holiday" but you don't actually have to use the return ticket if you don't want to. I faxed CHC London and gave them my new address in Canada, and then sent my passport to them for visa fixation via Fedex. They returned my passport to me in Canada and we just drove to the US border, left Canada, re-entered Canada and I landed as a new PR...

So there are no problems with that plan... Just come on over...
What if you have a kid that needs to go to school ? Can you ask for a student visa ? ( I'm talking about high school )
juliusmaximus is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 6:53 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 338
Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Originally Posted by juliusmaximus
What if you have a kid that needs to go to school ? Can you ask for a student visa ? ( I'm talking about high school )
No idea, can you send your kid to school while on holiday??? I don't think so. Unless you are applying via the spousal route, in which case the kid is already a Canadian citizen isn't he/she? Then the Canadian sponsor and kids can simply return as returning residents, and the UK spouse come over on "holiday" until PR comes through...

As for skilled worker route, not sure... But a tourist can only stay for 6 months anyway and a skilled worker PR can take 2+ years, so this plan would probably not work for them.
Jonny is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 7:24 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 133
jorja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

This is what I've done. I'm in Canada now as a visitor while my visa is being processed by London. If you can afford to live off your spouse for a while it's a good idea. I have plenty of tips on how to fill your time without spending too much money, especially for Montreal! Although I must say it's a lot harder to start the integration process when not working...

I've extended my visitor visa once already, without any problems. And have medical insurance from Blue Cross. Most travel insurance policies don't cover you unless you return and as I may not return to the UK I wanted to be sure.
jorja is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:05 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 156
Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Jorja,

If your spouse is sponsoring from outside Canada, arent you supposed to stay in UK until you get your PR. I understand that you can stay in Canada as tourist, but dont you have to change your application from sponsoring outside Canada to inside Canada application?
Jassy is offline  
Old Jan 29th 2005, 2:24 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 338
Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Before CHC says ok

Originally Posted by Jassy
Jorja,

If your spouse is sponsoring from outside Canada, arent you supposed to stay in UK until you get your PR. I understand that you can stay in Canada as tourist, but dont you have to change your application from sponsoring outside Canada to inside Canada application?
No you don't have to change to an inside application. CHC London will continue as normal, you will just have a new "home" address of within Canada. Officially you must "land" at the border but in reality you can just drive to the border and do a U-turn.
Jonny is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.