Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moved:new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

Wikiposts

Moved:new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:22 am
Just Joined

scoobydoo-41 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moved:new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

Hi to everyone,

Myself and family are going through the process, only our next hurdle is my criminal record!!!

I have 4 offences - from when I was 18 ( 23 yrs ago!! ) I received only fines & court costs!

I now believe I have to apply for "rehab" at a cost of $200 CAD PLUS the court records - copy of each at £40.00 per copy :curse:

Could anyone provide any info about this? Have read threads on subject but nothing seems clear???

We have also been told that it could take up to 3 months for them to process??

Any help much appreciated
scoobydoo-41
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Re: new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

Can you link to where you read about the $200 fee? 4 court records at £40 each plus fee, total £260.

The three months is not long in the scale of things as Police Clearance records would be needed anyway. How far are you into the process?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

When we sent for our police clearances, we were horrified to discover that my husband had what was described as a "sexual offence" from a similar age. He shamefacedly admitted that he had dropped his trousers and "mooned" at somebody who'd told him and a mate off for being noisily drunk outside his own house. The full offence was entitled "indecent exposure with the intent to insult a female". He'd pleaded guilty as charged and paid a fine.

It was so out of character to the man I knew and loved that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
He contacted the police to see if he could get the record wiped as it was about 30 years previous, but apparently they do not remove "sexual offences" from records!

Anyhoo, he was advised to obtain his court records, and send them with our application and a covering letter explaining the circumstances of the offence, and the consequences, and that he had never done anything similar before or since, and so we sent that lot off, and our application proceeded without a hitch.

The next contact we had was our medical requests, and we landed in Calgary in 2005.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:21 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Can you link to where you read about the $200 fee?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

Determination of Rehabilitation - third item from the bottom. It is $200 or $1,000, depending how serious (and/or how many) offense was.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:00 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moved:new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

I am glad everything worked out fine for you Morweena... and here I sit worrying sick about my husband not being able to obtain a police report from his native country (Syria) for not serving the military... we were asked to get medical exams done this last Nov (we did) but since we never sent the Syrian police report the CIC officer wants it now... initially I explained that the Syrian government does not issue one to people who like my husband did not serve the military... but I guess they want it anyways... we now need to pay a US$5000 fine to the Syrian government in order to get the police report... paying the fine will clear this record and then we could get the police report we need... We hate having to pay than much money for such thing! but I guess we have no choice if we want to keep trying to move to Canada... I am happy to see that in many cases people persist and get to start living their dream... as it is in your case... good luck to you!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Morwenna
When we sent for our police clearances, we were horrified to discover that my husband had what was described as a "sexual offence" from a similar age. He shamefacedly admitted that he had dropped his trousers and "mooned" at somebody who'd told him and a mate off for being noisily drunk outside his own house. The full offence was entitled "indecent exposure with the intent to insult a female". He'd pleaded guilty as charged and paid a fine.

It was so out of character to the man I knew and loved that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
He contacted the police to see if he could get the record wiped as it was about 30 years previous, but apparently they do not remove "sexual offences" from records!

Anyhoo, he was advised to obtain his court records, and send them with our application and a covering letter explaining the circumstances of the offence, and the consequences, and that he had never done anything similar before or since, and so we sent that lot off, and our application proceeded without a hitch.

The next contact we had was our medical requests, and we landed in Calgary in 2005.
Records are wiped if you live in Humberside!!!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice
Default Re: Moved:new to Expats - looking for advise on crimal recored & Rehab process

You must apply for rehab at $200,you will be informed if you need to pay an extra $800 if offences are considered serious,so your rehab application has to go to the Canadian Minister. My rehabilitation was approved at CHC London,which took 55 days.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 3:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yalily
I am glad everything worked out fine for you Morweena... and here I sit worrying sick about my husband not being able to obtain a police report from his native country (Syria) for not serving the military... we were asked to get medical exams done this last Nov (we did) but since we never sent the Syrian police report the CIC officer wants it now... initially I explained that the Syrian government does not issue one to people who like my husband did not serve the military... but I guess they want it anyways... we now need to pay a US$5000 fine to the Syrian government in order to get the police report... paying the fine will clear this record and then we could get the police report we need...
How do you know they won't just pocket the "fine" and still refuse to issue the document? Has your husband got a non-Syrian passport?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by markan
You must apply for rehab at $200,you will be informed if you need to pay an extra $800 if offences are considered serious,so your rehab application has to go to the Canadian Minister. My rehabilitation was approved at CHC London,which took 55 days.
if you can call taking a badge of the front of a van a serious offence! OR using foul and abusive language in public!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/fees/fees.asp

Determination of Rehabilitation - third item from the bottom. It is $200 or $1,000, depending how serious (and/or how many) offense was.
Thanx for link
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Can you link to where you read about the $200 fee? 4 court records at £40 each plus fee, total £260.

The three months is not long in the scale of things as Police Clearance records would be needed anyway. How far are you into the process?
We are just calling in the charactor refs, sending off 4 the crt records and so on.