Move to Ontario- Work Permit/PR

Old Jun 4th 2022, 11:26 am
Just Joined

piggy_22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Ontario- Work Permit/PR

Hi all

I’m new to the forum, so I have taken some time to read through the introductory pages and searched the forum for more specific information. I would appreciate some advice on my situation.

I am hoping to move to Ontario with my husband some time in the next year (2023), ideally by summer, if possible. PR Express Entry route would have been our preference but we are scoring 462 together and I am getting 459 as the sole applicant. Added to that the fact that FSW applications are still not being processed, we have decided to look at other options. We are both in our 30s, so IEC isn’t an option.

I am a GP, so I’m hoping to be able to get a job offer and get a work permit based on that. I understand my husband will be able to get an open work permit at the same time, is that correct?

I am aware of the licensing and registration requirements, and I have started working towards these but I have some queries about the immigration process:

1. How long will the work permit process take altogether? I understand getting the LMIA, etc takes a while, so if I were to finalise a job offer by November-December this year (hoping to make a trip to Ontario in October-November 2022), when should we realistically expect to be able to move by?

2. Is there any benefit to getting a Point of Entry Work Permit over a regular one?

3. Once I have a job offer, can I apply for Work Permit and PR (as our CRS will then increase to 512) at the same time?

4. For PR, if I am the primary applicant, will my ECAs suffice, or will my husband need them as well?

I would really appreciate any insight you all can provide.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th 2022, 12:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Ontario- Work Permit/PR

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by piggy_22
PR Express Entry route would have been our preference but we are scoring 462 together and I am getting 459 as the sole applicant. Added to that the fact that FSW applications are still not being processed, we have decided to look at other options.
FSW draws are resuming next month, so I would suggest you apply anyway just in case. At 462 I agree it's a long shot, but you'd kick yourself if the points level dropped and you weren't in the pool!

I am a GP, so I’m hoping to be able to get a job offer and get a work permit based on that. I understand my husband will be able to get an open work permit at the same time, is that correct?
Yes, for the same duration as yours, as your job is 'skilled', so he gets the open work permit off the back of your job offer.

In answer to your questions -

1. Once you've got a job offer, then 6 months is realistic. The employer usually needs a while to get the LMIA app together to submit, and then it takes approx 3-4 months usually. I would say that next summer is incredibly optimistic if you say you've 'started working towards' the licensing process, as I understand that can take a lot longer than a year. But perhaps you mean it's already well underway? If so, it may be feasible.

2. No difference at all in terms of what the work permit gives you, it's obviously a little more secure to apply for the work permit before travelling, but your chances of being refused at the border are slim if you've got all the requisite paperwork anyway. Some people prefer not to risk it if they'll be travelling with children or pets, but that's really up to you and what you prefer.

3. Yes, you can apply straight away.

4. Your husband doesn't have to get an ECA, unless you want the points for his education. Maybe see what the points level is for FSW draws by then and see if it's needed?

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2022, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that's very helpful information.

I am just at the beginning of the process, have sent off documents for source verification, as need this for licensing application, etc. It's difficult to get a good understanding of timelines as there are so many pre-requisites for licensing. I was under the impression that it will take about 6 months once I have ECAs/source verification but I may well be wrong! I'll keep looking for more info.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am just at the beginning of the process, have sent off documents for source verification, as need this for licensing application, etc. It's difficult to get a good understanding of timelines as there are so many pre-requisites for licensing. I was under the impression that it will take about 6 months once I have ECAs/source verification but I may well be wrong! I'll keep looking for more info.
6 months would be good, I'd just assumed it was an equally lengthy process as other healthcare professions (example - Young family looking for any advice on moving to BC), but maybe it's faster for GP's! It would be super useful if you'd come back and update the forum with a rough processing time once you've got it all sorted.

Good luck with it.
Old Jun 7th 2022, 11:45 am
Just Joined

justzee is an unknown quantity at this point

Any particular reason for wanting to go to Ontario? I am asking because Alberta's medical registration process seems a bit more streamlined
Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Yes, of course. I'm trying to document the steps for my own records, so will be happy to share it once I'm a bit further along with the process.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

We looked at various provinces and decided Ontario would suit us best. Alberta did appeal but from what I understand, getting a job there is difficult, even more so if you want to be near one of the big cities.