British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Move to BC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/move-bc-933510/)

Sunnybrae Jun 30th 2020 4:03 pm

Move to BC

Hi, we're about to start the process of moving from the UK to BC to be nearer my Canadian partners parents. We've been together 10 years as common law partners so would apply under spouse sponsorship route. However, on the sponsorship form under Eligibility it says "If you answer NO to questions 1 - 4 you are not eligible to be a sponsor. Q.4 is "do you reside in Canada" so we have to answer NO.

BUT, it then says in Q.4 as a footnote- "if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada you may still be eligible to sponsor!" - any ideas how we can check that my partner will be eligible to sponsor me or do we just send the form off and keep fingers crossed?

Is there a step by step guide anywhere or is it a case of filling in all the forms and just sending them off? We managed okay with the UK immigration system to get my partners indefinite leave to remain for here, but the Canadian forms look a lot more confusing - is there a list of recommended BC's lawyers anywhere as I think I'd like some reassurances before just sending forms off in the post?

Thanks in advance.

spouse of scouse Jun 30th 2020 4:36 pm

Re: Move to BC

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae (Post 12874169)
Hi, we're about to start the process of moving from the UK to BC to be nearer my Canadian partners parents. We've been together 10 years as common law partners so would apply under spouse sponsorship route. However, on the sponsorship form under Eligibility it says "If you answer NO to questions 1 - 4 you are not eligible to be a sponsor. Q.4 is "do you reside in Canada" so we have to answer NO.

BUT, it then says in Q.4 as a footnote- "if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada you may still be eligible to sponsor!" - any ideas how we can check that my partner will be eligible to sponsor me or do we just send the form off and keep fingers crossed?

Is there a step by step guide anywhere or is it a case of filling in all the forms and just sending them off? We managed okay with the UK immigration system to get my partners indefinite leave to remain for here, but the Canadian forms look a lot more confusing - is there a list of recommended BC's lawyers anywhere as I think I'd like some reassurances before just sending forms off in the post?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to BE. I'm going to go right off topic but I think the moderators will allow it as it's quite crucial. You say your wife has indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. If so, then getting her British citizenship before you move would be a very good idea, as having ILR doesn't mean she'd be permitted to live in the UK again in the future. If you have any questions or want more info, please post on our Moving Back to the UK forum.
Good luck with your plans.

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2020 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae (Post 12874169)

Thanks in advance.

Hi, and welcome to BE. Can you give us a link to the forms you're completing please and give us the form name you're referring to above? It sounds as though you may be completing an 'inland' application (i.e. for people living in Canada) rather than 'outland' (for those outside Canada). Just to clarify, your partner is a Canadian citizen? If so, he can sponsor you from anywhere in the world.

You can find registered consultants on the ICCRC website, but tbh now you've found BE you shouldn't need one! Have a read of our excellent Wiki which will help steer you through the process, and you can always ask on here if there is anything the Wiki doesn't cover, we have a lot of folks that will be happy to help.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12874187)
I'm going to go right off topic but I think the moderators will allow it as it's quite crucial. You say your wife has indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK. If so, then getting her British citizenship before you move would be a very good idea, as having ILR doesn't mean she'd be permitted to live in the UK again in the future.

We will absolutely allow it, and I second that suggestion!

Sunnybrae Jun 30th 2020 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12874192)
Hi, and welcome to BE. Can you give us a link to the forms you're completing please and give us the form name you're referring to above? It sounds as though you may be completing an 'inland' application (i.e. for people living in Canada) rather than 'outland' (for those outside Canada). Just to clarify, your partner is a Canadian citizen? If so, he can sponsor you from anywhere in the world.

You can find registered consultants on the ICCRC website, but tbh now you've found BE you shouldn't need one! Have a read of our excellent Wiki which will help steer you through the process, and you can always ask on here if there is anything the Wiki doesn't cover, we have a lot of folks that will be happy to help.

We will absolutely allow it, and I second that suggestion!

Hi, thanks for the welcome, Its form imm1344e that I'm refering to.
My partner is a Canadian citizen and thanks for the advice re UK citizenship but she doesn't intend living back in the UK, it's my turn to go to her Country :)

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2020 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae (Post 12874201)
Hi, thanks for the welcome, Its form imm1344e that I'm refering to.

OK, so you don't need to worry about a 'no' to question 4, as explained in the guide -

"If you answer “No” to question 4, but are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada
  • You may submit a sponsorship for your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and children who have no children of their own.
  • You must, however, come to Canada to live with the sponsored person. If this is your situation, complete the section “Residency Declaration”."
HTH.

Sunnybrae Jun 30th 2020 6:56 pm

Thank you, that's reassuring, I'm glad I've found this site, if we need more help, which I'm sure we will.

Hurlabrick Jun 30th 2020 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae (Post 12874288)
Thank you, that's reassuring, I'm glad I've found this site, if we need more help, which I'm sure we will.

Do check out the wiki page on outland spousal sponsorship - loads of common questions answered there.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...lication_Forms