Mother-in-law - Open Ended Ticket

Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Mother-in-law - Open Ended Ticket

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help here, perhaps FL with his in-depth knowledge of arrivals. Or anyone that knows :-)

My wife and I moved here in 2012, and have been PR's since early 2014. We are due to have our first baby in late February 2016!!

Anyway, my wife would like her mother to be there for the birth, and for a period of time afterwards to help us out. She isn't sure of exactly what date she'd leave, so was looking into the idea of booking only a single ticket, or a fully flexible ticket. Seems to do that, the only sensibly priced way is Canadian Affair, as the large airlines charge a very large premium for single tickets, or for fully flexible, whereas Canadian Affair only add a small premium. I see Canadian Affair actually offer a flexible option, which would come out as less of a premium than if she wanted to book 2 singles.

Anyway, I'm aware that the 'up to 6 months' is in no way guaranteed. I highly doubt she'd be staying for anywhere near that length anyway, but I'm also aware that without a return ticket, she could end up with something way shorter than we would actually want. Plus, no return date might not look good!

Just to give her background, in case that influences thoughts. She's late 60's and is retired (although does occasional home help sort of work). She has no intention of moving, or working, here.

How would you suggest we approach this situation, if indeed she does decide she'd like to go down the route of either just booking a single, or if she books a flexible ticket for the way home that she'd potentially be changing (in either direction)? Is one option more preferable than the other? Is only booking a single ticket going to give her big problems at the airport (Toronto in this case)? What should she say - just be 100% honest and hope they give her the 6 months? Would that answer differ if she booked the flex ticket for the return? Would she indicate she might be changing it, after explaining why?

Thanks in advance for all your help here. Just trying to figure out what she's best booking, if she'll get any problems with either option, what she should say, etc. Would just like to be well informed before she books, as that might influence the decision.

Graham.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother-in-law - Open Ended Ticket

Flexible is the way to go.
What she should do on arrival if looking to stay for more than 6 months is to ask for a visitors record. If less than 6 months they are automatically stamped in for 6 months unless a CBSA officer determines otherwise.
There again depending on how your MIL is is to say nothing and let her book a one way ticket and hope the airline refuses her boarding at the UK end or CBSA refuse her entry at the Canadian end
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Flexible is the way to go.
What she should do on arrival if looking to stay for more than 6 months is to ask for a visitors record. If less than 6 months they are automatically stamped in for 6 months unless a CBSA officer determines otherwise.
There again depending on how your MIL is is to say nothing and let her book a one way ticket and hope the airline refuses her boarding at the UK end or CBSA refuse her entry at the Canadian end
Thanks very much for the info!

Haha, I shall not pass the last part on to my wife :-) To be fair, we get on well, so I'm sure we'll appreciate her being there. It definitely won't be longer than 6 months though, lol.

Ok, so one way ticket is definitely a bad idea then? (presumably as per what you suggested might happen above). Is it basically something you should never do, unless moving here? Just for future reference, in case the only sensible way price wise is to book single tickets.

So if she books a flexible ticket with a return date of say April 1st, what should she tell the CBSA officer? Should she just say that's her return date and hope/assume they stamp for 6 months? Then she can change the ticket while here if she so desires, as long as it's within the 6 months. Or should she be 100% honest, say why she's here, and that she might change the ticket date at some point if we need her for longer, or if we kick her out early? :P

Thanks!

Graham.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Thanks very much for the info!

Haha, I shall not pass the last part on to my wife :-) To be fair, we get on well, so I'm sure we'll appreciate her being there. It definitely won't be longer than 6 months though, lol.

Ok, so one way ticket is definitely a bad idea then? (presumably as per what you suggested might happen above). Is it basically something you should never do, unless moving here? Just for future reference, in case the only sensible way price wise is to book single tickets.

So if she books a flexible ticket with a return date of say April 1st, what should she tell the CBSA officer? Should she just say that's her return date and hope/assume they stamp for 6 months? Then she can change the ticket while here if she so desires, as long as it's within the 6 months. Or should she be 100% honest, say why she's here, and that she might change the ticket date at some point if we need her for longer, or if we kick her out early? :P

Thanks!

Graham.
She should initially put the number of days staying on the declaration i.e. 120 days. If she goes back within the 6 months nothing to do except book the return flight. She can always apply to extend if more than 6 months needed.
The only time I advise people to travel on a one way ticket are those emigrating or coming on work/study permits. Visitor on a one way ticket is something I don't advise.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
She should initially put the number of days staying on the declaration i.e. 120 days. If she goes back within the 6 months nothing to do except book the return flight. She can always apply to extend if more than 6 months needed.
The only time I advise people to travel on a one way ticket are those emigrating or coming on work/study permits. Visitor on a one way ticket is something I don't advise.
Thanks very much FL - I really appreciate it.

Ok, so sounds like the best approach is she books the outbound and return flight, but return with a flexible date. She then fills in and (if asked) tells the CBSA officer her return date as per the ticket she's booked. No need to mention thoughts of maybe changing it (suspect that'd just complicate matters). If she's then returning within the 6 months that she hopefully gets stamped, then all she does is move the ticket if she wants.

Thank you very much! :-)

Graham.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:02 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Worth adding she can just request the 6 months to start with and if she wants to stay longer she can fill out the online form to extend her stay.

The issue with one way tickets is usually with the airline refusing you boarding. If you can't prove you will be let into the destination country the airline can refuse to board you because of you are refused, the airline bears the cost of returning you to your origin and can face fines. When my husband moved to Canada he booked on Air Transat with a one way ticket and at the check in desk as well as the gate he had to show his PR docs as proof he'd be let into Canada.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Worth adding she can just request the 6 months to start with and if she wants to stay longer she can fill out the online form to extend her stay.

The issue with one way tickets is usually with the airline refusing you boarding. If you can't prove you will be let into the destination country the airline can refuse to board you because of you are refused, the airline bears the cost of returning you to your origin and can face fines. When my husband moved to Canada he booked on Air Transat with a one way ticket and at the check in desk as well as the gate he had to show his PR docs as proof he'd be let into Canada.
Thanks very much for the info. Will pass that all on :-)

Graham.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 5:12 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly

+100%!

I worked for an airline for over 15 years, I would have refused to accept for travel, the MIL, presenting a check in agent a one way ticket. (with no proof of PR or other status that allows re-entry) Your best bet is to buy a fully flexible/refundable return ticket.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
+100%!

I worked for an airline for over 15 years, I would have refused to accept for travel, the MIL, presenting a check in agent a one way ticket. (with no proof of PR or other status that allows re-entry) Your best bet is to buy a fully flexible/refundable return ticket.
Thanks - will make sure she does that!

Graham.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:07 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Or a cheap return (often cheaper than one-way anyway) and don't use the return or else get one that is changeable. I believe Air Canada will change the return date for a fee - whether that would be cheaper than buying a single back to the UK (or another return) would have to be ascertained.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...tions_int.html

Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Or a cheap return (often cheaper than one-way anyway) and don't use the return or else get one that is changeable. I believe Air Canada will change the return date for a fee - whether that would be cheaper than buying a single back to the UK (or another return) would have to be ascertained.

Thanks.

Yep, shall look at who the cheapest would end up being for her if she changed it.

Thanks!

Graham.