Wikiposts

Mother in Law coming to

Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mother in Law coming to

Dear All

Thoughts please - as some may recall my mother lived in Canada for many years and during that time gave birth to my partner - who is Canadian.

When we brought the house in Toronto, it was purchased in the knowledge she may come and live with us.

It looks as the decision is that she will.

I have suggested the following plan of action - she comes over on a holiday visa for the full 6 months, and that she keeps her property here in the UK.

Question 1 I understand that you can apply to extend a holiday visa when in Canada - is this correct ?

Question 2 If this is not correct, is there anything stopping her from heading to America for a week and then trying to re-entry Canada?

Question 3 Is there a set period of time, she would need to be out of the country before she returned?

If she then likes it - I suggest that we could start a family application while she was with us in Canada.

Question 4 As my Partner will be sponsoring me, can he start a new application to sponsor his Mother - can you have a live sponsorship and a new application at the same time?

Finally, while she is in Canada, she would need to take our comprehensive health insurance. Although she is in her 80's, she is unbelievable sprightly.

Question 5 Does any one know of any good companies, that deal with this sort of cover.

Thanks for all your help in advance

Rob & Simon X
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:40 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother in Law coming to

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
Dear All

Thoughts please - as some may recall my mother lived in Canada for many years and during that time gave birth to my partner - who is Canadian.

Rob & Simon X
Doesn't that make your partner either your brother or your half-brother, or is this a typo or misunderstanding ?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Question 1 I understand that you can apply to extend a holiday visa when in Canada - is this correct ?
Yes, but there are no guarantees of a successful application. Most are successful as far as I know though, and you'd need to provide a good reason and proof of being able to support herself whilst she stays here. It's called a Visitor Permit extension.

Question 2 If this is not correct, is there anything stopping her from heading to America for a week and then trying to re-entry Canada?.
Nothing physically stopping her but Canada Border Services Agency can refuse her re-entry back into Canada, and the U.S. refuse her entry into the U.S
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:57 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Every visitor has the right to apply for Extension of Stay. Usually first time around it is quite easy to get, providing good reasons and proof of funds are given. Subsequent extensions are not easy and in most cases impossible to get.

Question 2 If this is not correct, is there anything stopping her from heading to America for a week and then trying to re-entry Canada?
Once examining officer determines that she is really living in Canada and going to US (or anywhere else for that matter) just to return as soon as possible hoping to get another 6 months admission she may be refused admission or granted just a short one (week or two), enough to pack and go back to home country.

Question 3 Is there a set period of time, she would need to be out of the country before she returned?
see above

Question 4 As my Partner will be sponsoring me, can he start a new application to sponsor his Mother - can you have a live sponsorship and a new application at the same time?
Yes, as long as your partner lives in Canada and qualifies financially (has already earned minimum required income in Canada, from Canadian sources).

Finally, while she is in Canada, she would need to take our comprehensive health insurance. Although she is in her 80's, she is unbelievable sprightly.

Question 5 Does any one know of any good companies, that deal with this sort of cover.
All she can get is a travel insurance - nothing comprehensive, insuring mostly minor things and providing repatriation back to home country for major treatment. So, keeping insurance back home in good status is a must anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 2:44 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Doesn't that make your partner either your brother or your half-brother, or is this a typo or misunderstanding ?
Here's hoping that he meant mother-in-law or that he knows what consanguineous means...lol....