Most in-demand IT skills

Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most in-demand IT skills

Originally Posted by helcat12
Yet still there is a lot of comment on here saying that it is harder than ever to get a positive LMO! Go figure!
It is - the facts show that fairly easily. It used to be that the majority of LMO's were granted, now something like only 30% are. There just isn't the same need for foreign workers as there was a few years ago.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinsyPinsy
I'm confused...why does it say in the wiki, the 3 month thing that Waggle said?
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Obviously because it hasn't been updated
Done.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Where have you read that IT skills are in demand in Canada? They used to be, but any IT related occupations were taken off the 'occupations in demand' list in June, so I would assume there's no longer the same need for them.
I've worked in IT for most of the last 21 years in both Canada and the US.

Just because an occupation is taken off the FSW list does NOT mean that the occupation is not in demand. In fact, Canadian employers are having a hard time filling their IT positions and this situation is projected to get worse over the next few years.

Job applicants state that employers are often unrealistic in their job requirements - e.g. they want Java and C++ and .Net and SQL Server and ASP and Oracle and...yada yada yada. Job applicants also think that they lose out even when they do have the required skills because they are lacking "Canadian experience". This is a catch 22 for new immigrants - how can you have "Canadian experience" if you've never worked in Canada????!!!!!

Employers counter that they can't find job applicants that are skilled enough to fill their open positions.

Obviously something has to give here and I suspect that IT occupations were removed from the FSW list because the government agrees that Canada might have a large pool of skilled immigrants who are not being given a chance by Canadian employers.

It is still possible to get into Canada on a TWP and then progress through the immigration process that way (that's the route I took many years ago - TWP, PR and finally citizenship). The removel of IT jobs from the FSW list just means that you can't start off as a PR without a job (to avoid the "Canadian experience" catch 22). Again, it does NOT mean that IT professionals are not in demand.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:52 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

Just because an occupation is taken off the FSW list does NOT mean that the occupation is not in demand. In fact, Canadian employers are having a hard time filling their IT positions and this situation is projected to get worse over the next few years.

Job applicants state that employers are often unrealistic in their job requirements - e.g. they want Java and C++ and .Net and SQL Server and ASP and Oracle and...yada yada yada. Job applicants also think that they lose out even when they do have the required skills because they are lacking "Canadian experience". This is a catch 22 for new immigrants - how can you have "Canadian experience" if you've never worked in Canada????!!!!!

Employers counter that they can't find job applicants that are skilled enough to fill their open positions.

Obviously something has to give here and I suspect that IT occupations were removed from the FSW list because the government agrees that Canada might have a large pool of skilled immigrants who are not being given a chance by Canadian employers.

It is still possible to get into Canada on a TWP and then progress through the immigration process that way (that's the route I took many years ago - TWP, PR and finally citizenship). The removel of IT jobs from the FSW list just means that you can't start off as a PR without a job (to avoid the "Canadian experience" catch 22). Again, it does NOT mean that IT professionals are not in demand.
We certainly discovered that the adverts want the moon, but when you see them face to face it is different. You will still see the "LMO is hard" line repeated, even though it is just like PR - many people apply who are not fulfilling the criteria and so of course they get rejected. In the past they may have been more lenient, but that doesn't make it hard - it just means you need to have a good case. If you do, it isn't hard at all.
I know quite a few people now who have been granted LMO with no fuss at all, but then they had sensible companies who followed the rules and fulfilled all the criteria to get a foreign worker approved and YES, there was a genuine lack of skills in the role they were expecting to fill, so it was easy. What isnt easy any more is getting in when there isn't a need.
If you ask IT companies, they are still saying that there is a skills shortage and not just in the managerial roles, so there are still a lot of possibilities in the field to take advantage of. Specificity is the key to success.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Hi MarylandNed,

I am a software developer with around 12 years experience programming primarily in Microsoft products (.Net from 1.1 through to 4.0, Windows apps and services, Web apps and services etc - and SQL Server 7.0 through to 2008).

I have a number of Microsoft development certifications, including the Microsoft Certified Professional Developer for Windows and Web under the recent 2008 tracks. I am hoping since these are internationally recognised they'll stand me in pretty good stead in Canada.

Anyway, we have an FSW1 application in the early stages of processing under my wife's industrial pharmacy experience, but obviously we'll need to be looking at a TWP/FSW2 situation as a backup plan if our FSW1 application fails.

Can you give me any info as to what the software development market is like, especially in and around Vancouver? How much more difficult is it to get a job if you need an LMO, than if you're a permanent resident?

Also any idea how good the recruitment agencies are? Or are you generally best to approach companies yourself?

Thanks for any info,
Wayne.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi MarylandNed,

I am a software developer with around 12 years experience programming primarily in Microsoft products (.Net from 1.1 through to 4.0, Windows apps and services, Web apps and services etc - and SQL Server 7.0 through to 2008).

I have a number of Microsoft development certifications, including the Microsoft Certified Professional Developer for Windows and Web under the recent 2008 tracks. I am hoping since these are internationally recognised they'll stand me in pretty good stead in Canada.

Anyway, we have an FSW1 application in the early stages of processing under my wife's industrial pharmacy experience, but obviously we'll need to be looking at a TWP/FSW2 situation as a backup plan if our FSW1 application fails.

Can you give me any info as to what the software development market is like, especially in and around Vancouver? How much more difficult is it to get a job if you need an LMO, than if you're a permanent resident?

Also any idea how good the recruitment agencies are? Or are you generally best to approach companies yourself?

Thanks for any info,
Wayne.
Wayne

I don't know about the state of things in Vancouver specifically at the moment. In a recession, there is obviously going to be stiffer competition for jobs so being a PR is definitely going to help even more in a recession as employers are less likely to need to go the LMO route.

I would definitely suggest that you approach companies directly as much as possible. There are a few reasons for this:

(1) it demonstrates resourcefulness as well as an interest in the company on your part
(2) it saves the company money as they don't need to pay a fee to a recruitment agency and this might give you an advantage over other candidates
(3) it removes the possibility of something going wrong between the employer and the recruitment agency (I lost a job offer in Vancouver many years ago because of such a problem).

So do as much of the ground work yourself. Approach specific employers directly. Also use job search sites (e.g. monster.ca)

You can always supplement your own ground work with the use of recruitment agencies but I wouldn't depend solely on the agencies. Make sure the agancies know which employers you've already contacted directly yourself and make sure that they don't try to approach these same employers on your behalf.

Good luck!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Wayne

I don't know about the state of things in Vancouver specifically at the moment. In a recession, there is obviously going to be stiffer competition for jobs so being a PR is definitely going to help even more in a recession as employers are less likely to need to go the LMO route.

I would definitely suggest that you approach companies directly as much as possible. There are a few reasons for this:

(1) it demonstrates resourcefulness as well as an interest in the company on your part
(2) it saves the company money as they don't need to pay a fee to a recruitment agency and this might give you an advantage over other candidates
(3) it removes the possibility of something going wrong between the employer and the recruitment agency (I lost a job offer in Vancouver many years ago because of such a problem).

So do as much of the ground work yourself. Approach specific employers directly. Also use job search sites (e.g. monster.ca)

You can always supplement your own ground work with the use of recruitment agencies but I wouldn't depend solely on the agencies. Make sure the agancies know which employers you've already contacted directly yourself and make sure that they don't try to approach these same employers on your behalf.

Good luck!
Hi, my CV is already on monster.ca

However, I just seem to get UK recruitment agencies phoning/emailing me because my address is listed as being in the UK.

When I am in a position to consider applying for positions (maybe next Easter onwards) I am wondering if it's worth amending this to a Canadian address of some kind to attract the attention of Canadian employers searching the site?

Anyway thanks for the good advice,
Wayne.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

RedKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi MarylandNed,

Thanks for any info,
Wayne.

Hey, I'm a .net guru and don't have the experience that you have. I recently moved to Vancouver, under the WHP, and got work immediately with Tek Systems. Just a 3 month contract but something to get me started. The recruitment agencies over here don't seem too proactive, which is weird as you kinda assume it's an important part of their job.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

reddy001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABW
IT is dead in Vancouver unless you want to hop from one contracting/consulting job to another for the rest of your life.
We just closed our satellite office in Vancouver last week for software development/R&D on defense stuff.
Those regular emails from Monster and Workopolis for new positions are mainly "anticipatory" staffing.
If you tell me your IT background, I can inform you better as far as what jobs or skills you need to improve.
Hi ABW + ALL I.T FRIENDS

I would much appreciate if you could advice me on which area in I.T presently good.I recently received my PR and moving from london to toronto. I have some experience in JAVA and SAP portals...

Your response is much appreciated