Mortages for temporary Residents?

Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:06 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mortages for temporary Residents?

Hi

we are moving to Winnipeg in a couple of weeks and our house is still on the market, just wondering if anybody knows if we will have to wait for our PR until we can get a mortgage or we can get one as Temp Res until our PR comes through?

Thanks

Sarah
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:10 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortages for temporary Residents?

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

we are moving to Winnipeg in a couple of weeks and our house is still on the market, just wondering if anybody knows if we will have to wait for our PR until we can get a mortgage or we can get one as Temp Res until our PR comes through?

Thanks

Sarah
Can be done as a PR, but its harder to arrange, and often a large deposit is required. I doubt any of the "big banks" will go for it, but I have read on here in the past that some temporary residents managed to do it somehow.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

zider is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Winnipeg, jewel of the Praries! Better have good insurance.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:47 am
Enjoying being in Canada!

ExBritExAfrican is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a temp resident in Canada and have a mortgage. What I did was go through an independent mortgage broker. They require at least 10% deposit and proof of employment with salary (plus three months bank statement). I was also approved by ING Direct so you can try them too. Anyway, what I learned from being here is that if you search hard enough, you will get a deal. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:04 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritExAfrican
I am a temp resident in Canada and have a mortgage. What I did was go through an independent mortgage broker. They require at least 10% deposit and proof of employment with salary (plus three months bank statement). I was also approved by ING Direct so you can try them too. Anyway, what I learned from being here is that if you search hard enough, you will get a deal. Good luck.
I got a mortgage here as well, even though I'm on a temp working visa and had only been here for a week before it was approved. I didn't have to give them any bank statements.

It seems best over here to go through a mortgage broker, as the rates are a lot more negotiable through them. It doesn't work like it does in the UK where each institution has a fixed rate that they will offer you...
Old Jul 6th 2005, 10:30 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks All, we will hunt out a mortgage broker, for your info, it was Scotiabank who categorically said NO, unless we had PR.

mmmm...zider, do you know something we dont ?

Cheers

Sarah

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I got a mortgage here as well, even though I'm on a temp working visa and had only been here for a week before it was approved. I didn't have to give them any bank statements.

It seems best over here to go through a mortgage broker, as the rates are a lot more negotiable through them. It doesn't work like it does in the UK where each institution has a fixed rate that they will offer you...
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren

mmmm...zider, do you know something we dont ?
If he does, he's not telling. I already asked in the last thread he sniped about Winnipeg and didn't get an answer
Old Jul 6th 2005, 6:42 pm
Journeyman Canadian

Sure, as Winnipeg is not the stereotypical place for an expat to choose. That expat has obviously done a lot of research to have discovered it in the first place, and is well aware of:

The flood history
Where they got the props (mossies) to make the movie, Starship troopers.
The highest murder rate per capita in Canada

Come on Zider....we're intrigued!

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
If he does, he's not telling. I already asked in the last thread he sniped about Winnipeg and didn't get an answer