More questions about OWP

Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice
Question More questions about OWP

I have another question about Study permits well more about the OWP that my spouse will receive when we are there. I am going to study at Capilano University in Fall 09 on a 2 year Paralegal Diploma Course, after this I have a 6month paid internship and a good chance of a job at the end of it.
My question is if my husband gets a permanent job offer while we are there can we apply for PR with my husband as the principal applicant?
He has 9 years Admin Manager experience and I just wondered if this would be possible?

My second question is am I able to go to Canada once my Study permit has been granted? I intend to apply for this around about February next year. The problem is we have a house to sell and I was under the impression that we cannot go to Canada until 2 months prior to commecncing my course. If we sell our house quickly we would ideally like to leave the UK sooner. I hoped we could maybe go on a tourist visa beforehand so we could find a place to rent, check out the areas, and have a holiday etc. Neither of us would work during this period, we would just like some time out before I start studying and he starts working.

I have looked at CIC in depth and I can't seem to get a straight answer to either question.

If anyone could help I would be most grateful.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More questions about OWP

Summer,

You need to get both the study permit and OWP before you leave otherwise you going to find it hard.
Once your husband is there and if he gets a permanent job then yes he of you can apply for PR as principle and you as his dependants.

You can go to Canada once both have been granted on a visitor visa
just before the study/ow permit starts. Although personally i would wait until
you have the papers in hand and come to Canada on a study/ow ermit.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

Thank you for the reply.

So do I have to wait until our house is sold to apply for the study permit? I know it states that I must be able to show evidence on funds to support us. Well all of that is coming from the sale of the house, I take it I will have to wait for those funds to be clear?

I did mean to say that once I had the study permit papers in my hand, I would like to come to Canada as soon as our house is sold. We aim to put the house on the market in Feb, and wishful thinking, if it sells say in May, I wanted to make sure I could leave then rather than have to wait until 2-3 months prior to commencing my course.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 3:58 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Summer-Caitlin
I hoped we could maybe go on a tourist visa beforehand so we could find a place to rent, check out the areas, and have a holiday etc.
If you do choose to enter Canada as visitors before you receive approval of your study / work permit applications, you will have to do a trip around the flagpole when you receive approval. That's not too difficult to do from Vancouver, as the Canada-USA border is not that far away.

Also, if you're going to be on the move, without a definite forwarding address, you have to consider the address that you'll give to CIC. Once you've submitted your application, you must keep them up to date concerning address changes. But, if you don't have a fixed address, what address will you give them? Perhaps the address of a relative who will inform you when any mail from CIC arrives and forward it to you by courier?

It would be prudent to buy emergency medical insurance to cover you while you're a visitor in Canada (and indeed during your first three months as students / temporary workers, because BC's provincial health care insurance plan does not kick in immediately).
x
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:04 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add a warning that approval of your study permit application is not automatic.

On page 14 of their guide called Applying for a Study Permit Outside Canada, CIC state:
When you apply for your study permit, there is no guarantee of acceptance. We do not recommend that you make any final steps, such as purchasing plane tickets or quitting your job, until your study permit is approved.
x
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi Judy

Thanks for the response. We have no intentions of going to Canada until we have my study permit approved. The address I will give them is the address that we are living in just now and will remain here until we leave the UK. I also have no intentions of leaving my job until I know for definite what date we are due to arrive in Vancouver

I know that study permits are not guaranteed, I just hope I do get this granted and if I do, I wanted to be able to arrive in Vancouver as soon as we sold the house. It would make it alot easier to know that say I sell the house in May, we can actually leave the week after if we wanted (provided we have the study permit papers approved)
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Mrs. Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: More questions about OWP

Hello, ladies, you seem to know everything about work permits in Canada, and I'm afraid I have a complicated question
A good friend of mine, Romanian citizen, moved from the States to Vancouver about two weeks ago. She accompanies her husband, PhD student at UBC. Her husband's study permit was issued by the Canadian Embassy in Washington, DC; at the time he applied for his study permit his spouse (my friend) did not apply for an open work permit, but for a temporary resident visa only (she got that, she's now in Canada).
According to:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ble.asp#inside
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp
she is allowed to apply for an open work permit as the spouse of a study permit holder.
However; my friend says that when she entered Canada she was told by the immigration officer that only spouses of work permit holder are entitled to apply for an OWP. I find it hard to believe, please see the online info above. I've been trying for a couple of hours now to find online the application form and I couldn't find it.
Do you, by any chance, know what is the application form/procedure for an OWP as spouse of a study permit holder? there are tons online, but I could't find one that says "check this box if your husband has a study permit" (or work permit for that matter).
Please advise, any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.