Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:13 pm
  #1  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,870
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Another article on the Temporary Foreign Workers programmes.
Best not to read the comments from CBC readers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...n-workers.html
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:15 am
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
sdo1982's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 330
sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Makes sense to me to be honest! As much as i dont like admitting it, i think the changes to the immigration system seem to be going in the right direction, i dont know about your perspective!

And the comments are the best bits on cbc!
sdo1982 is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2012, 1:19 am
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,870
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by sdo1982
Makes sense to me to be honest! As much as i dont like admitting it, i think the changes to the immigration system seem to be going in the right direction, i dont know about your perspective!

And the comments are the best bits on cbc!
My perspective is that any foreign worker seeking entry into Canada at a Port of Entry is keeping me employed
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2012, 4:25 pm
  #4  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

The part about paying foreign workers up to 15% less than the going rate in that area is a bit worrying for Canadian workers.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:13 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Siphorous's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 266
Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Is that like a kind of E-LMO coming back in?
Siphorous is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:58 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 106
chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Hey guys

Do you know if this only applies to some occupations or employers? I am a network engineer (B skill Level) and have wanted to move to Calgary for quite some time however the LMO processing times have always put me off, I wonder if this will help me?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
chaddsuk is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2012, 1:35 pm
  #7  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by chaddsuk
Hey guys

Do you know if this only applies to some occupations or employers? I am a network engineer (B skill Level) and have wanted to move to Calgary for quite some time however the LMO processing times have always put me off, I wonder if this will help me?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
I have no idea but my expectation is that this will not be for Category A, B or O jobs but for farm labourers and construction workers and suchlike.

I believe at the moment that companies can get LMO pre-approval for a number of Temporary workers for seasonal or short term work demands, such as happened for the Olympics construction.
I am expecting that this initiative will be aimed at that rather than at Skilled Workers of A, B or O categories that get LMO on an individual basis now.

I cannot imagine that Canadians would put up with companies hiring cheap foreign workers for skilled jobs which are more likely to be ongoing or permanent posts.
I also cannot imagine the government wanting to encourage companies to shun Canadian employees in favour of foreigners, which they will if they can get away worth paying them 15% less.

That all flies in the face of the point of the LMO process, which is to protect Canadian jobs for Canadians and also to prevent cheap foreign labour from eroding salaries and lowering the standard of living for Canadian workers.

It also would not be sensible to apply this to A,B and O categories because if, as the government claim, Canada needs talented, skilled people to emigrate here to cure the current and future skills shortage, then it doesn't make sense to let companies offer those people lower wages than their Canadian counterparts.
That is not going to attract the people they claim to want, especially here in BC where the cost of living is high.
I can see the advertising slogan now,

"Hey, come to Canada where you can earn up to 15% less for doing the same job as a Canadian!"

Can't see it causing a flood of applications.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2012, 8:49 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 106
chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by helcat12
I have no idea but my expectation is that this will not be for Category A, B or O jobs but for farm labourers and construction workers and suchlike.

I believe at the moment that companies can get LMO pre-approval for a number of Temporary workers for seasonal or short term work demands, such as happened for the Olympics construction.
I am expecting that this initiative will be aimed at that rather than at Skilled Workers of A, B or O categories that get LMO on an individual basis now.

I cannot imagine that Canadians would put up with companies hiring cheap foreign workers for skilled jobs which are more likely to be ongoing or permanent posts.
I also cannot imagine the government wanting to encourage companies to shun Canadian employees in favour of foreigners, which they will if they can get away worth paying them 15% less.

That all flies in the face of the point of the LMO process, which is to protect Canadian jobs for Canadians and also to prevent cheap foreign labour from eroding salaries and lowering the standard of living for Canadian workers.

It also would not be sensible to apply this to A,B and O categories because if, as the government claim, Canada needs talented, skilled people to emigrate here to cure the current and future skills shortage, then it doesn't make sense to let companies offer those people lower wages than their Canadian counterparts.
That is not going to attract the people they claim to want, especially here in BC where the cost of living is high.
I can see the advertising slogan now,

"Hey, come to Canada where you can earn up to 15% less for doing the same job as a Canadian!"

Can't see it causing a flood of applications.
I actually agree with everything you said there however all the links I found on the internet say that the A-LMO actually applies to any employer that has had a successful LMO in the past two years. As far as I can see this is in the Alberta area which has a relatively lower number of foreign workers.

I would expect this to apply to all skilled positions, cant say I agree with it really however if it works for me then im not going to complain!

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...ns/a-lmo.shtml
chaddsuk is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2012, 4:36 am
  #9  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by chaddsuk
I actually agree with everything you said there however all the links I found on the internet say that the A-LMO actually applies to any employer that has had a successful LMO in the past two years. As far as I can see this is in the Alberta area which has a relatively lower number of foreign workers.

I would expect this to apply to all skilled positions, cant say I agree with it really however if it works for me then im not going to complain!

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplace...ns/a-lmo.shtml
I agree that it will work for you in terms of coming to Canada originally, as employers would love to save 15% off their wage bill in this way.

What about once you are living and working here and have to put up with having 15% less wage than comparable colleagues?
Will you be happy then and will you be able to have the lifestyle that will make coming here worth it in the first place?
Most people want to be better off or why emigrate?
helcat12 is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2012, 5:36 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 106
chaddsuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by helcat12
I agree that it will work for you in terms of coming to Canada originally, as employers would love to save 15% off their wage bill in this way.

What about once you are living and working here and have to put up with having 15% less wage than comparable colleagues?
Will you be happy then and will you be able to have the lifestyle that will make coming here worth it in the first place?
Most people want to be better off or why emigrate?
I assume that not all positions would be 15% less than recommended just because the law allows for it. That being said I guess you would know exactly what wage you would be prepared to work for before even travelling to Canada so as long as its within your own personal wage expectations as suppose it doesnt matter all that much.

I think I may just dip my toe in a little later in the year and test water, may not be for me but at least an employer wouldnt have to wait three months for me to start (I assume that this would put off 90% of employers)
chaddsuk is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2012, 2:20 pm
  #11  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by chaddsuk
I assume that not all positions would be 15% less than recommended just because the law allows for it.
No, not because the law allows for it, but because employers will prefer it.

How many employers would turn down the chance to reduce their wage bill by even 5%, never mind 15%?

From a personal point of view as the spouse of a TWP who then applied for PR through FSW Cat 2, I wonder what would happen to someone like my OH under these new proposals.
If he had been employed as a temporary foreign worker initially at 15% less than his Canadian counterparts, what would have happened when we got PR?

Would that have resulted in an automatic 15% pay rise or automatic redundancy?

These proposals just don't make sense and I don't think they will make either Canadians or potential immigrants happy at all.
helcat12 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:10 am
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,378
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by helcat12
No, not because the law allows for it, but because employers will prefer it.

How many employers would turn down the chance to reduce their wage bill by even 5%, never mind 15%?

From a personal point of view as the spouse of a TWP who then applied for PR through FSW Cat 2, I wonder what would happen to someone like my OH under these new proposals.
If he had been employed as a temporary foreign worker initially at 15% less than his Canadian counterparts, what would have happened when we got PR?

Would that have resulted in an automatic 15% pay rise or automatic redundancy?

These proposals just don't make sense and I don't think they will make either Canadians or potential immigrants happy at all.
They do make sense. If you read the article (and it you looked at the CIC website) you will note that the reduction is region specific, i.e., it may be appropriate to offer a welder 15% less in Nunavut than what one would offer a welder in Alberta.

It seems to me that it is designed to get workers where they are needed at a price the local economy can stand. The prospective employee does not have to apply if not happy with the amount offered. Seems a win-win to me.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2012, 3:03 am
  #13  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
They do make sense. If you read the article (and it you looked at the CIC website) you will note that the reduction is region specific, i.e., it may be appropriate to offer a welder 15% less in Nunavut than what one would offer a welder in Alberta.

It seems to me that it is designed to get workers where they are needed at a price the local economy can stand. The prospective employee does not have to apply if not happy with the amount offered. Seems a win-win to me.

Perhaps I misunderstood.
I had thought that it was referring to wages within a region, not comparative to other regions.

Of course it is not sensible to have one wage for a specific NOC applicable across the whole of Canada or even one Province, but that is already taken care of in the LMO regulations by the fact that they have a wage range which quotes a low, average and high value for expected wages for that NOC.
So HRSDC already take into account the local economy and prevailing wages within that area and NOC and the range is also designed to take account of the level of experience of the applicant and the specific job role.

If it is as you say for the new regulations, then how is it any different from what happens from LMO now?
helcat12 is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2012, 5:07 am
  #14  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,378
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by helcat12
Perhaps I misunderstood.
I had thought that it was referring to wages within a region, not comparative to other regions.

Of course it is not sensible to have one wage for a specific NOC applicable across the whole of Canada or even one Province, but that is already taken care of in the LMO regulations by the fact that they have a wage range which quotes a low, average and high value for expected wages for that NOC.
So HRSDC already take into account the local economy and prevailing wages within that area and NOC and the range is also designed to take account of the level of experience of the applicant and the specific job role.

If it is as you say for the new regulations, then how is it any different from what happens from LMO now?
I didn't say it was that different

I note that employers will "... have to show the wages are still consistent with Canadian workers ..."
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 30th 2012, 1:43 pm
  #15  
Island life at last
 
helcat12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 2,715
helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More news on Temporary Foreign Workers

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I didn't say it was that different

I note that employers will "... have to show the wages are still consistent with Canadian workers ..."
Aaaaah! I see.

It isn't different!

Politicians, eh!
helcat12 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.