Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Wikiposts

Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Bonne Chance Muncles!!

Originally Posted by Muncles
Thanks all for your help and Kaz I will undoubtedly be PM-ing you with un question français de temps en temps.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Muncles]Thanks to Regs and Bethan. That answers all my questions.
QUOTE]

Good luck to u and all those of u studying french like me

regs
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Originally Posted by Muncles
Thanks all for your help and Kaz I will undoubtedly be PM-ing you with un question français de temps en temps.
'Une question francaise' peut-etre?! I am doing similar Muncles...I have submitted my PR app (skilled worker, London, AOR Aug 05) and am now studying French (je trouve que c'est tres difficile ). I plan to take the TEF in April 05 in Manchester, and as Bethan has suggested, possibly re-take at a future point should points requirement rise, and/or due to expiry of these results.

Bonne chance!!!

Adele xx
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Bethan2 will become famous soon enoughBethan2 will become famous soon enough

Actually, I'll confess! I took the TEF in November (after only 9 weeks studying for it) and I chickened out of the Spoken test, so when the results come through there will be a category missing! I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the spoken bit, but I am resolved to working hard at improving my standard and confidence in spoken french. I was aiming at the outset to get two points at this first stage and I hope I did enough in the other categories to get that. I'm a long way off getting 8 points though.

Good luck with your studies anyway, I bet you are braver than me when it comes to exam time.

Regs - have you taken the TEF yet? how's the studying going?
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Originally Posted by Bethan2
Actually, I'll confess! I took the TEF in November (after only 9 weeks studying for it) and I chickened out of the Spoken test, so when the results come through there will be a category missing! I knew I wouldn't be able to handle the spoken bit, but I am resolved to working hard at improving my standard and confidence in spoken french. I was aiming at the outset to get two points at this first stage and I hope I did enough in the other categories to get that. I'm a long way off getting 8 points though.

Good luck with your studies anyway, I bet you are braver than me when it comes to exam time.
How did you find the rest of it Bethan? I'm really worried, I'm struggling so far with my A/S course. I did GCSE 8 years ago so was very rusty coming into it. I found A-level German to be fine and seemed to improve quickly, so I'm disappointed that I'm finding French much harder. I'll keep at it though, nothing to lose! Hopefully by April I'll be able to get a point or two. What previous experience of French did you have Bethan, before the 9 weeks revision?

All the best

Adele xx
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bethan2] and I chickened out of the Spoken test, so when the results come through there will be a category missing!

QUOTE]
i thought the spoken bit was the easiest, the examinare were reallly kind and sympa, so wasnt an ordeal at all. just go for it, after all you will never see them again so who cares if you have egg on your face? At least you will have tried and you will probably do better than you think you can, as i said I got 4 points from 3 categories and my french is rubbish, . just dont guess and remember as you progress through the test the questions get harder.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by adele
How did you find the rest of it Bethan? I'm really worried, I'm struggling so far with my A/S course. I did GCSE 8 years ago so was very rusty coming into it. I found A-level German to be fine and seemed to improve quickly, so I'm disappointed that I'm finding French much harder. I'll keep at it though, nothing to lose! Hopefully by April I'll be able to get a point or two. What previous experience of French did you have Bethan, before the 9 weeks revision?

All the best

Adele xx
Hi Adele, as for the rest of it, not too bad, but the written paper was quite challenging. I did an O-level french many, many years ago and failed!!, on my mock TEF I got to level 3 which is what I'd aimed for (failed O-level 30-odd years ago and only 9 weeks learning french!). I don't yet have my results, I may not have done as well as in the mock, and as you know I couldn't face the spoken test, so I know I've got a long way to go. I think the key is to get example questions and get the TEF book and the tapes (most important!) and also try to do a mock test if you can prior to your actual test, it's quite reassuring. I'm but glad I've made contact with Alliance Francais - they seem great. You're welcome to PM me regarding tapes, etc. I'll be glad to share my limited experience if I can.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=batty-x-ray]
and I chickened out of the Spoken test, so when the results come through there will be a category missing!

QUOTE]
i thought the spoken bit was the easiest, the examinare were reallly kind and sympa, so wasnt an ordeal at all. just go for it, after all you will never see them again so who cares if you have egg on your face? At least you will have tried and you will probably do better than you think you can, as i said I got 4 points from 3 categories and my french is rubbish, . just dont guess and remember as you progress through the test the questions get harder.
Thanks - You did great to get 4 points, was that enough for what you wanted? I'm only on 69 points overall, so I could do with getting up to moderate level in four categories. I'm such a wimp! I know how nice they are at Alliance Francais in Manchester - I just knew I couldn't really do it at that early stage. I will definitely do it next time!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Cool Re: Moderate Proficiency in French and likelihood of raised passmark...

Hi Adele, as for the rest of it, not too bad, but the written paper was quite challenging. I did an O-level french many, many years ago and failed!!, on my mock TEF I got to level 3 which is what I'd aimed for (failed O-level 30-odd years ago and only 9 weeks learning french!). I don't yet have my results, I may not have done as well as in the mock, and as you know I couldn't face the spoken test, so I know I've got a long way to go. I think the key is to get example questions and get the TEF book and the tapes (most important!) and also try to do a mock test if you can prior to your actual test, it's quite reassuring. I'm but glad I've made contact with Alliance Francais - they seem great. You're welcome to PM me regarding tapes, etc. I'll be glad to share my limited experience if I can.
Hi again,

Yes I've already got the book and tapes (bought tapes off Kaz on this forum!). Not really listened to them yet, having a busy period at the mo and French has taken a back seat but I hope to get going again in the new year. I need to! I will be sitting my TEF at the Manchester Alliance Francaise so it's good to hear that they are a nice bunch!

Keep me posted with your progress, and if you don't mind then please let me know how you did when you get your results!

Thanks and good luck!

Adele xx
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

Regs - have you taken the TEF yet? how's the studying going?

I have not yet taken the TEF test. I started studying French only in Sept this year, ie after submitting my application in Aug. I have finished 2 levels and the 3rd level is in progress.
I had a talk with my teacher, she said i have to do atleast 4 levels for "basic" and atleast 8 levels for "moderate" level in TEF. That is going to take the whole of 2006. The TEF exams are conduted only twice a year over here. One in June and one in december.

As my AOR specifies 36 months, (36 months will end in 2008 Aug), I have decided to take the test in dec 2006. But i may take the June 2006 exam to get the feel of the test and hence be fully prepared for the Dec exam.

regs
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:53 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
I decided to take the test and send the results in upon receipt. I hope CHC won't ask me to take the test again but if needs be I will. I figured that people aren't being asked to take IELTS again even if their application has taken longer than the results are supposed to be valid for (is this true? I haven't read about anyone being asked to take it again?) so hopefully I have proven my French skills and that will be taken as such.

I kind of wanted to get it over and done with and sent off anyway just in case my application were to get looked at sooner than I had thought.

Kaz x
I totally forgot to come back and thank you- sorry! Thanks for the reply though: I think I'll probably do the same as you.

My French generally isn't that bad, but what really lets me down is shyness, in that I hate, hate, hate speaking French in front of a native French-speaker. I always think that they'll be laughing at my accent (and in Paris, they are). Does accent count for much at the AF, bearing in mind how humourous the Quebec French can sound if you're not used to it?!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Kazphillips will become famous soon enoughKazphillips will become famous soon enough

I totally agree with you about shyness. Lack of confidence was my biggest problem. I was dreading the speaking part so I contacted the alliance francaise and arranged a couple of sessions with a private tutor which really helped.

In the actual speaking exam I was surprised when they said that it was over. I thought that it was no way long enough and in fact I still had loads to say (task was convincing one of the examiners to come to a salsa dancing club with me!!).

My tutor didn't really comment on my accent - I think it was OK. I surprised myself with my remembered vocab but she did say it was mostly a confidence thing!

A bientôt!

Kaz x

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
My French generally isn't that bad, but what really lets me down is shyness, in that I hate, hate, hate speaking French in front of a native French-speaker. I always think that they'll be laughing at my accent (and in Paris, they are). Does accent count for much at the AF, bearing in mind how humourous the Quebec French can sound if you're not used to it?!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:27 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kazphillips
I figured that people aren't being asked to take IELTS again even if their application has taken longer than the results are supposed to be valid for (is this true? I haven't read about anyone being asked to take it again?) so hopefully I have proven my French skills and that will be taken as such.
The validity of my IELTS was till about one week after CHC got my application - they never asked me to retake it, and I've got my visa now.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Now, that is just the sort of thing I like to hear

Originally Posted by Wannabe
The validity of my IELTS was till about one week after CHC got my application - they never asked me to retake it, and I've got my visa now.