Missing letter on PR card

Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Missing letter on PR card

Hi all,
So i've been here 3 months and now eligible for BC health care. All fine and dandy.

Except, they can't issue my card as the name on my application and drivers license don't match that on the PR card. After numerous calls explaining it is because CIC can't fit all the letters on I am told that the spelling on my PR card is my legal name in Canada!! (thanks for making life difficult CIC!)

I've now been told that to get my BC service card issued, with the correct spelling i need to apply for a certificate of legal name change (or something to that effect) at the local police office.

So my question, has anyone else had this issue and did they have to follow the same process or was there a different solution?

Thanks in advance,

Pip
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing letter on PR card

Hi Pip,
Just curious what Name have you got truncated (Last, First?). Our PR cards have got partial middle names, this was not a problem at all for us.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

My last name is fine, it is the First & Middle causing the probs. Spelled correctly it's Philippa Suzanne, however this takes up 16 character spaces (the space between counts as a character apparently) and PR cards only have space for 15 characters.

It all seems ridiculous to me, it's made clear on CIC website that the issue is spaces and not spelling errors, I wish HIBC would just read that and see that obviously the e should be on my name as it is in all my other documents. feel a bit like i'm chasing my tail on this!
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

So, is it the Middle name which is shortened then? We have two cards with truncated Middle names. One is Jam for James. Never had any problems with it.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Yes, just the middle name. I've called them 3 different times and got 3 different answers.
Dreading the need to seek medical treatment before this is resolved, imagining it will generate all sorts of extr questions and paperwork for not having the physical card.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
My last name is fine, it is the First & Middle causing the probs. Spelled correctly it's Philippa Suzanne, however this takes up 16 character spaces (the space between counts as a character apparently) and PR cards only have space for 15 characters.

It all seems ridiculous to me, it's made clear on CIC website that the issue is spaces and not spelling errors, I wish HIBC would just read that and see that obviously the e should be on my name as it is in all my other documents. feel a bit like i'm chasing my tail on this!
I suggest you either print that off and show them or fax them that very pertinent piece of info. Ask to speak to a supervisor and politely at first point this out. If they become a jobsworth then send a letter to HIBC pointing out that this is ridiculous and they need to sort it out pronto or you will be contacting your local MP.
Ask them what part of the PR card has only room for 15 characters do they not understand.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Very strange, I hope you get it resolved quickly and get your health card.
As I said we did not have any trouble, nothing along the line of it being a legal name. Plus on the Alberta Health Card they only put a first letter of the Middle name.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I suggest you either print that off and show them or fax them that very pertinent piece of info. Ask to speak to a supervisor and politely at first point this out. If they become a jobsworth then send a letter to HIBC pointing out that this is ridiculous and they need to sort it out pronto or you will be contacting your local MP.
Ask them what part of the PR card has only room for 15 characters do they not understand.
I'll try this route, I feel quite averse to the idea of needing to legally "change" my name when it is very clear from CIC it is a space issue. Also, I can't be the only PR to have a first & middle name of this length in BC!!
Thanks for your advice.
Pip
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:58 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just the middle name. I've called them 3 different times and got 3 different answers.
That's normal. It can't be "fixed" as that is how PR cards are issued

Mine is <first name> <partial second name> <last name>. My 2nd middle name is totally absent. I don't believe this is your "legal name in Canada" as the people in BC are trying to claim. The PR card is truncated as a matter of course...that doesn't alter who you are. Your "full name" should be present on your COPR [IMM 5292B] form (the big ass paper thing the border guard probably stapled into your passport when you landed). Show them that.

On my SIN card the person in the office asked me what I wanted it to say so I just went with <first name> <last name>

My Ontario drivers license has my complete name and both middle names

Ontario health card matches the PR card.

Last edited by orly; Nov 13th 2014 at 7:03 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Dreading the need to seek medical treatment before this is resolved, imagining it will generate all sorts of extr questions and paperwork for not having the physical card.
At a hospital its a pain, but they won't refuse you.

At a doctors office its not hard but you will likely have to pay the doctor upfront without an MSP card, doctors generally won't see you without payment upfront or a valid MSP card.