Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Minimum funds when applying from within Canada?

Minimum funds when applying from within Canada?

Old Jan 4th 2020, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Minimum funds when applying from within Canada?

Immigration question:

currently living and working on Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit that we obtained through PNP. missed the deadline to apply for PR through PNP but we have now been invited to apply under FSW EE stream (not using the points from pnp, before anyone asks!). Do we still need minimum funds even though both currently working in Canada? And if not, will we need to obtain a LMIA for our jobs before we apply?

FYI I am principal applicant and my partner is common law sponsored
Old Jan 5th 2020, 12:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum funds when applying from within Canada?

Originally Posted by Sammilc
Immigration question:

currently living and working on Canada on an LMIA exempt work permit that we obtained through PNP. missed the deadline to apply for PR through PNP but we have now been invited to apply under FSW EE stream (not using the points from pnp, before anyone asks!). Do we still need minimum funds even though both currently working in Canada? And if not, will we need to obtain a LMIA for our jobs before we apply?

FYI I am principal applicant and my partner is common law sponsored
You obtained the work permit (exempt from an LMIA) through your PNP nomination (i.e. a work permit support letter) - and the PNP nomination has expired due to you not completing the process within the time limits so you might want to check whether you can continue to legally work.

(I don't know the answer but if I were you I would definitely check)

Did you contact your case officer yet?
Please help panic mode- have i missed the chance to apply for PR?
Old Jan 5th 2020, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

I contacted my case officer, who would not give me any advice outside of just copy and pasting what is already written on the website and doesn't explain my specific case. However I sought legal advice from 2 immigration lawyers who both assured me that my work permit is still valid (they both gave the example of someone who had made a conscious decision to not emigrate to Canada after living here 6 months, but chose to continue to work on their existing work permit, which is perfectly legal). However, they also said that the work experience i have gained on this work permit will not be valid work experience for a Canadian Experience Class visa.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 4:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

According to the official website, proof of funds are required unless you have a VALID job offer and are authorised to work... or are applying under CEC
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...oof-funds.html

The definition of a VALID job offer is described here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...mployment.html