Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

<Miller!!!> Need Help regarding adding a family member

<Miller!!!> Need Help regarding adding a family member

Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

vonta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default <Miller!!!> Need Help regarding adding a family member

Hi All:

Me and my wife are landed immigrants (Nov 2004). Later to complete my contractual obligations/Insurance problems I am back in USA.

We had a kid in the end of Dec 2004 in USA.

I am now in the process of getting my job moved to Canada from USA. This might take a couple of months. Once the formalities are complete, I will be moving to Canada.

Now I have a couple of questions as I plan to visit Canada for a brief period of time.

1. As my Kid is US Citizen, does she need a visa to travel to Canada? Me and my wife do not need it as we have PR Card.
2. Do i need to inform of the addition of my family at the Border or after I have landed to sponser her?

I would appreciate if anyone can help me on this esp. Miller!!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all
Default Re: <Miller!!!> Need Help regarding adding a family member

1- she does not need a visa to travel to canada however she needs to obtain PR status if she is to stay in canada indefinately
2- you don't need to inform the change but you need to sponser her asap and to apply for extention for her visitor status if expired until her PR status is granted.

a better idea was to have the baby born in Canada that would have saved you a lot of time and money

Originally Posted by vonta
Hi All:

Me and my wife are landed immigrants (Nov 2004). Later to complete my contractual obligations/Insurance problems I am back in USA.

We had a kid in the end of Dec 2004 in USA.

I am now in the process of getting my job moved to Canada from USA. This might take a couple of months. Once the formalities are complete, I will be moving to Canada.

Now I have a couple of questions as I plan to visit Canada for a brief period of time.

1. As my Kid is US Citizen, does she need a visa to travel to Canada? Me and my wife do not need it as we have PR Card.
2. Do i need to inform of the addition of my family at the Border or after I have landed to sponser her?

I would appreciate if anyone can help me on this esp. Miller!!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

vonta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: <Miller!!!> Need Help regarding adding a family member

Thanks for the reply...

I also wanted it to be the least painful...Our medicals expiration, canadian insurance not covering pre existing conditions, job switch to Canada and waiting period of Canadian Health Coverage in Ontario province....all these led to hasty landing of ours before the family composition changed.

I know it is hard.. but am willing to take that path..

BTW, I will be moving permanently to Canada if everything goes smooth and my company puts me on thier Canadian Payroll.

Originally Posted by Ibraheem
1- she does not need a visa to travel to canada however she needs to obtain PR status if she is to stay in canada indefinately
2- you don't need to inform the change but you need to sponser her asap and to apply for extention for her visitor status if expired until her PR status is granted.

a better idea was to have the baby born in Canada that would have saved you a lot of time and money