Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Military jail sentences - criminal rehab needed?

Military jail sentences - criminal rehab needed?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:57 am
Just Joined

jlwoodward1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Military jail sentences - criminal rehab needed?

Greetings,

I am wondering whether two military jail sentencings of 60 days, and 80 days in September 2008 and again March 2009 would make me inadmissable for the International Experience Canada?

I have been unable to acquire much information on this thus far, however from what I have gathered, it would seem so. I am just hoping that the case is not so.

In peace

Joseph Woodward
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by jlwoodward1
Greetings,

I am wondering whether two military jail sentencings of 60 days, and 80 days in September 2008 and again March 2009 would make me inadmissable for the International Experience Canada?

I have been unable to acquire much information on this thus far, however from what I have gathered, it would seem so. I am just hoping that the case is not so.

In peace

Joseph Woodward
Hi Joseph, and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post in to a thread of it's own, as I'm not sure any of our regular forum experts will see it lost in the IEC thread.

I'm afraid I have no idea whether a military jail sentence would be viewed the same as a 'normal' one, but hopefully one of the pro's will know.

Have you got your police check and if so, what does that say?
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:48 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Military jail sentences - criminal rehab needed?

Start with the exact offences. What were they? If "Conduct to the Prejudice...." then some factual details would be needed to answer.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Joseph, and welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post in to a thread of it's own, as I'm not sure any of our regular forum experts will see it lost in the IEC thread.

I'm afraid I have no idea whether a military jail sentence would be viewed the same as a 'normal' one, but hopefully one of the pro's will know.

Have you got your police check and if so, what does that say?
Ah, thank you very much for this! I was confused upon looking for my post in the previous thread --I thought it had been deleted for some reason ^_^

The offences were AWOL, both times. However, I was dishonourably discharged upon release from MCTC (Military Corrective Training Centre) Colchester.

I did send an e-mail to them, however they also seem unsure. I've also seen that a dishonourable discharge isn't promising when applying to the Working Holiday program for Australia and thus, it's worrying me.

Any help would truly be appreciated.

EDIT: I am awaiting my police check, though apparently military convictions will still apear on it, and my last jail sentences was less than two years ago. Again, this is just information I have acquired off of the internet so far, and it isn't concrete.

Last edited by jlwoodward1; Jan 9th 2012 at 11:10 am.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The OP could always read over this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf02-eng.pdf

Basically the offence committed needs to be an offence that can be equated to any Act of Parliament in Canada. AWOL would more than likely be covered under the NDA Act and Code of Service Discipline.
http://www.canadianlawsite.ca/military.htm
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The OP could always read over this
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf02-eng.pdf

Basically the offence committed needs to be an offence that can be equated to any Act of Parliament in Canada. AWOL would more than likely be covered under the NDA Act and Code of Service Discipline.
http://www.canadianlawsite.ca/military.htm
If I am correct, this means that I would more than likely be inadmissable? Or have I misunderstood this, dear sir?
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

I would personally complete the Criminal rehab application checking FOR INFO ONLY. This is the only sure way for you to get a comprehensive answer as to you admissibility.

Mine took a little over 1 month to process. Others have had it take 8 months or more.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the info you have supplied and in my opinion you would be deemed inadmissible under section 36(2)(b) IRPA.
My opinion is that both of these offences would equate to summary convictions rather than indictable offences.
AWOL is covered under section 90 of the National Defence Act.
having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in
Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament,
or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in
Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament

Remember this is my opinion only you could submit your application with all relevant info and see what transpires.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

I thought as much. Though I wholeheartedly support having to face consequences of one's actions, it is just catastrophically painful due to my girlfriend being Canadian (I met her whilst she was on student exchange in the UK).

I do not regret my actions in the sense that I started to develop a strong belief of nonviolence, and this would strongly contradict military service, and thus I personally felt the only way to make a strong conviction of belief over actions, would be to find ways of being discharged.

I do, however, regret that my actions are now taking their magnified toll in refraining me from doing as I wish.

I am still in firm belief though, that the lessons that one may forcibly succumb to during one's perpetual life will be of incomparible value.

I am very thankful to all of you for the advice, informative discussion and general friendliness that you have shown.

Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought as much. Though I wholeheartedly support having to face consequences of one's actions, it is just catastrophically painful due to my girlfriend being Canadian (I met her whilst she was on student exchange in the UK).

I do not regret my actions in the sense that I started to develop a strong belief of nonviolence, and this would strongly contradict military service, and thus I personally felt the only way to make a strong conviction of belief over actions, would be to find ways of being discharged.

I do, however, regret that my actions are now taking their magnified toll in refraining me from doing as I wish.

I am still in firm belief though, that the lessons that one may forcibly succumb to during one's perpetual life will be of incomparible value.

I am very thankful to all of you for the advice, informative discussion and general friendliness that you have shown.

I have to admit that I love this post

If you didn't want to be part of the military, why didn't you just leave? I believe that all are on an open engagement these days.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

An open engagement still means service of four years, with a one year notice of intention to leave, dear sir.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

An open engagement still means service of four years, with a one year notice of intention to leave, dear sir.
I knew that there was a notice period (which would have been explained to you before you signed up) and I have never heard of open engagement requiring a minimum of 4 years of service, but I accept that times may have changed since I was in the military. Again, I assume that this would have been explained to you.

Anyway, best of luck with your application