Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:01 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 42
Oppyddrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Hi

I am looking into migrating to canada and i was wondering where to start from.
i know there is a list of occupations that qualify to apply for permanent residence; i am an Electrical Engineer with about 3years experience in Australia. Is Electrical Engineering on the list? do i have to be sponsored by a "state"?

The CIC website is a bit confusing with regards to the kind of information i think i need. please help!

i am happy to answer any questions to clarify my situation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Oppyddrum; Feb 15th 2012 at 9:22 am. Reason: error
Oppyddrum is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:15 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,868
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

You can use the Wiki button at the top or search threads.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

p.s Dont people emigrate whereas birds migrate lol.
Former Lancastrian is online now  
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:21 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 42
Oppyddrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Thanks for the link!

lol @ ur point about migrating vs emigrating. Duly noted.

thanks again!
Oppyddrum is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:40 am
  #4  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by Oppyddrum
Thanks for the link!

lol @ ur point about migrating vs emigrating. Duly noted.

thanks again!
What's an 'UR"
Aviator is offline  
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:46 pm
  #5  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,103
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by Oppyddrum
Hi

I am looking into migrating to canada and i was wondering where to start from.
i know there is a list of occupations that qualify to apply for permanent residence; i am an Electrical Engineer with about 3years experience in Australia. Is Electrical Engineering on the list? do i have to be sponsored by a "state"?

The CIC website is a bit confusing with regards to the kind of information i think i need. please help!

i am happy to answer any questions to clarify my situation.

Thanks!
As has been said, start with the Wiki which will lay out your options in more basic language than the CIC website (follow the link in my signature). The list of eligible occupations is not 'to qualify for permanent residence', it's only relevant to Skilled Worker visas - and that's only one way to get PR, from over 50 routes. So don't focus too much on that if your job isn't on that list, there are plenty of other ways to get a visa.

You don't have to be sponsored by a 'state' (no such thing as states in Canada anyway, they're called provinces!), but that is another option.

Have a read of the Wiki and then once you've figured out which visa you'll be aiming for, you can come back and ask more specific questions about it.

Good luck.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:53 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 42
Oppyddrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As has been said, start with the Wiki which will lay out your options in more basic language than the CIC website (follow the link in my signature). The list of eligible occupations is not 'to qualify for permanent residence', it's only relevant to Skilled Worker visas - and that's only one way to get PR, from over 50 routes. So don't focus too much on that if your job isn't on that list, there are plenty of other ways to get a visa.

You don't have to be sponsored by a 'state' (no such thing as states in Canada anyway, they're called provinces!), but that is another option.

Have a read of the Wiki and then once you've figured out which visa you'll be aiming for, you can come back and ask more specific questions about it.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for the information.
I wasn't sure whether or not Canada had states, thanks for clearing that up as well.
I will go have a read.

Thanks again.
Oppyddrum is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:49 pm
  #7  
All Sooked up!
 
james.mc's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Sooke, BC.
Posts: 1,894
james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by Aviator
What's an 'UR"
I thnk it means 'ges the other alf of the wrd'.
james.mc is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.