Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Oppyddrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Hi

I am looking into migrating to canada and i was wondering where to start from.
i know there is a list of occupations that qualify to apply for permanent residence; i am an Electrical Engineer with about 3years experience in Australia. Is Electrical Engineering on the list? do i have to be sponsored by a "state"?

The CIC website is a bit confusing with regards to the kind of information i think i need. please help!

i am happy to answer any questions to clarify my situation.

Thanks!

Last edited by Oppyddrum; Feb 15th 2012 at 9:22 am. Reason: error
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

You can use the Wiki button at the top or search threads.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada

p.s Dont people emigrate whereas birds migrate lol.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link!

lol @ ur point about migrating vs emigrating. Duly noted.

thanks again!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 10:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oppyddrum
Thanks for the link!

lol @ ur point about migrating vs emigrating. Duly noted.

thanks again!
What's an 'UR"
Old Feb 15th 2012, 8:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by Oppyddrum
Hi

I am looking into migrating to canada and i was wondering where to start from.
i know there is a list of occupations that qualify to apply for permanent residence; i am an Electrical Engineer with about 3years experience in Australia. Is Electrical Engineering on the list? do i have to be sponsored by a "state"?

The CIC website is a bit confusing with regards to the kind of information i think i need. please help!

i am happy to answer any questions to clarify my situation.

Thanks!
As has been said, start with the Wiki which will lay out your options in more basic language than the CIC website (follow the link in my signature). The list of eligible occupations is not 'to qualify for permanent residence', it's only relevant to Skilled Worker visas - and that's only one way to get PR, from over 50 routes. So don't focus too much on that if your job isn't on that list, there are plenty of other ways to get a visa.

You don't have to be sponsored by a 'state' (no such thing as states in Canada anyway, they're called provinces!), but that is another option.

Have a read of the Wiki and then once you've figured out which visa you'll be aiming for, you can come back and ask more specific questions about it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Emigrating to Canada, Need Help to get started

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As has been said, start with the Wiki which will lay out your options in more basic language than the CIC website (follow the link in my signature). The list of eligible occupations is not 'to qualify for permanent residence', it's only relevant to Skilled Worker visas - and that's only one way to get PR, from over 50 routes. So don't focus too much on that if your job isn't on that list, there are plenty of other ways to get a visa.

You don't have to be sponsored by a 'state' (no such thing as states in Canada anyway, they're called provinces!), but that is another option.

Have a read of the Wiki and then once you've figured out which visa you'll be aiming for, you can come back and ask more specific questions about it.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for the information.
I wasn't sure whether or not Canada had states, thanks for clearing that up as well.
I will go have a read.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 8:49 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
What's an 'UR"
I thnk it means 'ges the other alf of the wrd'.