migrate to Canada

Old Jan 21st 2002, 12:20 am
Kuku

I am a new immigrant to Canada. I would like to hear the experience from the settled
immigration. Do you think it worth the hassle to move there? Especially in this
economy downtime. I have few friends move to Canada, and ends up sitting at home for
many months without a job.

Local Canadian are complaining that immigrant are fighting with them for jobs, and
government are giving more immigrant visa to new comers. With a CAD$700 landing fee
plus CAD$300 application fee, it seems this is a very good source of income for
Canada government.

Canada government budget is having a huge deficit, and healthy care is under funded.
Unemployment rate is shooting up almost 20%.

I visited Toronto for a week, and successful landed in Canada. I really enjoy the
country, nice friendly people, and beautiful scenery. By in the end, I have a big
question, Am I able to feed my family? With a almost 40% income tax, and 15% sales
tax, you give everything back to the government, and in return, you are getting a
under funded social welfare.

I need some encouragements and positive experiences, so I can pack my back again and
settle there.

Old Jan 21st 2002, 2:15 am
Hello

I guess You must have visited Toronto recently - like all other Western economies
Canada is in recession - but I don't believe unemployment rate is that high. Yes any
new immigrant has to go through struggle - and that is true in any country not only
in Canada - if you do not have the North American experience it adds a delay - as
your capabilities are seen as "unproven". The taxes pay for Medicare which is funded
by govt..and it has its fair share of challenges - but that is true again for any
country which has govt funded healthcare. If you give up even before trying - you
cannot blame the country for it - moving to another country and settling down is a
big decision in life; it has its pluses and challenges - I am not aware of any
country in the world where they welcome immigrants AND give them guaranteed jobs -
rather it works the other way if they feel you will fit into the system and be a
contributor you'll be given a chance. May be you did not consider all aspects in the
first place - and now that you've seen the country and are familiar with system it
will allow you to decide..

>
    >
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
under
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
40%
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 6:40 am
Dennis Cade

You're kidding right? Canada presently has a massive shortage of skilled
professionals. In short, there are simply too few qualified people to do the jobs
here. And let me assure you that locals are not afraid of "immigrants fighting
with them for jobs". Canadians understand the value of a strong immigration system
and know that immigrants only take jobs that Canadians are unwilling or
unqualified to do.

While health-care may be "under-funded", I dare you to compare it with that of the
United States (where 40 million people lack health insurance).

Don't be fooled by the unemployment rate (which by the way is MUCH better than
Australia or continental Europe); when it comes to SKILLED LABOUR, Canada actually
has a NEGATIVE unemployment rate, in other words there are actually MANY MORE JOBS
AVAILABLE than PEOPLE to fill them.

If anything, the new Immigration Minister must debate ways to boost immigration to at
least 40-50 immigrants per thousand Canadians per year from the current (anaemic 10
immigrants per thousand Canadians per year). So far, all indications are that he's
going to do exactly that (At least he's speaking out against retroactivity).

"kuku" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

jaihanumanjee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Denise

Can you help me in getting a job .I have 1 yr of software expeience in US and UK as well as 4 yr experience in India.I applied for canada immig in August 2001 but am disqualified now due to the new rules.
Old Jan 21st 2002, 12:14 pm
Imrico

I'll be landing with my wife in mid June this year. For us, this is a new beginning,
and a big challenge. Just to get the "Canadian Experience", we are willing take
whatever job offer there is as soon as we arrive. We're sure that most employers will
not accept our credentials (from Hong Kong), and will treat us as inexperienced. But
with effort, we're sure we will be able to succeed.

Proof from my wife who was a restaurant manager in Beijing China. 5 years ago, she
immigrated and joined me in Hong Kong. She took a job as a waitress in Hong Kong, and
in 2 years, she worked her way back up to management level. Now she's a restaurant
manager again. And she's might have to start again when we move to Canada.

We feel that it will only be beneficial for both the country as for the immigrants.
Besides gaining the "Canadian Experience", we also bring a part of our livelihood and
ethics with us, which will influence employers, companies, governments, and
eventually the whole country.

Be optimistic, and count the blessings.

Rico

>
    >
    >
and
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
under
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
40%
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 12:24 pm
Hello

Can you be specific about your experience - the areas and your background
[BS/BE/MS/MSc etc and discipline in which you did your degree] before anyone can even
give you an advice. Not all IT fields are in high demand - with the recession and you
will be competing against lot of Canadians (from Nortel/JDS etc layoffs) who have
Canadian Experience to show on CV.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 21st 2002, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Calv25 is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the BIG word here is "CANADIAN EXPERIENCE".

Being IT consultant for 13 years, worked in Australia, UK, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Ireland, I have no problem fetching a job with 40k pounds easily in the past, but when it gets to Canada, guess what ? Not even an interview from anyone, with most of their reply "sorry.. you dont have any Canadian Experience".....

I was really depressed at time with all time low self esteem, and started to wonder the truthfulness in "Canadian computer languages and hardwares are unique to the world where no one else can use except Canadian."

But when I came across the lifestyle and trying to understand their culture, it's not that bad. Afterall, this is why people migrated here for at the first place.
The truth in "Canadian Experience" is, there are not many aggresive, 'commercial driven' firm in Canada, if there are, it would be long moved over to States due to the opportunity. One of the main reason to blame : the regulation (it's not easy to fire someone after recruiting them and you need thousands of reasons to justify them), most firm are pretty 'shy' in getting strangers (including Canadian from other places)

In fact, I have heard people complaining : Canada has the highest qualified (i.e. PhD) street hamberger flippers in the world. But on the other hand, despite the waste of human resources, I think they are very content if not happy of what they are doing , otherwise, they would have long gone.. And if you look at their income after tax, it makes not much difference if they work in a University or selling hamberger at the streets.

This is what a social society is all about. If you were treated like a 'king' in your own society due to your profession, having lots of respect by different walk of life, think again when you are in Canada cause you will not get the same treatment. Every body is equal and being looked after. There is no such thing as 'previlage class' unless you have the real bucks to pay for it. And making 'real bucks' (money) is not so easy as the government's intention is to create an equal society.. when you have more, the government will guess what... (TAX... TAX and TAX...) so that you dont get too much... and when you have nothing, the government will make sure you do not suffer from hunger....(and this is what the settlement fund is all about... when they take in new migrant...)

The key of getting employment is, when you have none, create your own... By promoting yourself to people whom seen needing your skill as there are "Shortage of skill labour" in Canada. There are no lack of jobs if you could proof to people that you can do it.

Due to Canadian corporate culture (of not being aggresive as US), they are usually looking for people, not desperatly even if it takes a year or two... Their attitude is alway, "can do it tomorrow". And when they get somebody, it is usually 'referred by' (i.e. business associate, ex-employee and etc..)

An advise to the new migrant.... Do not expect to sit home, throw in resumes by reading papers and wait.... Move into the society... get involve (i.e. volunteer jobs) and know people... Job offer may not be in form of official 9-5 work but can be from home (contractual). Get your contact and establish your network. Once you have the first job, you could have the next one rather quickly. I have seen people offering computing job to salesman in Eaton departmental store after chatting while buying thier clothes!!

And yes, I am jobless still.. and actively looking for jobs... But I wish these advise helps.... keep trying, the right way....

Old Jan 21st 2002, 8:50 pm
James

Good article!

Now I know what I should do to get a job after moving to Canada. A couple of months
ago, I thought I could easily get a job since I had US working experience and Fortune
10 IT company's working experience. But now, I think I was wrong. I will learn how to
make good hamburger before move to Canada... BTW, are there too many hamburger
sellers on the street in Canada? I am afraid that my hamburger isn't attractive
enough because I don't have a Ph.D.

I am just kidding!

Wish you can find a good job soon! Good luck!

James

Old Jan 21st 2002, 9:32 pm
Jean-Pascal Jehu

Hmmm, not easy to fire someone? You must be kidding right. However it's true
that Canada is not as entrepreneurial as the US and are therefore less eager to
take risks.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 22nd 2002, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Calv25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Experience

For those whom had been to big cities (i.e. Toronto), if you take a quick glance at the local paper... guess what.. : Unfair Dismissal ?? No win, no fees.. What do you think such advertisement reflect ??

Like I said earlier, the Canadian is less aggresive and shy in taking in strangers, probebly to cover thier a**...

I have seen cases from corporate such as the largest insuran firm (name not to be mention) where they took heaps of investment to upgrade their computer systems just to get rid of a lazy employee... Their excuse was "things are fully automated as it makes the job redundent" They have even consulted their legal department before doing so... The complete process took them over a year...(with proof).. and guess what... the employee sued them thereafter but as expected, the company won....

To be at the position, like I mentioned in my earlier post, there are no 'urgent' need for corporate to employ unless they are convinced that the person is capable.. and usually via referral... and as for outsider (i.e. from out of town / country) from where do you think they get local referral from ??

Get out and establish you contact is the REAL key... You may find lots of small cafe shop in Canada willing to invest into building web page than many other places in the world.....But you have to first create the need and interest, via personal contact....
Old Jan 23rd 2002, 11:40 am
Peter_all

Hello wrote:
> Can you be specific about your experience - the areas and your background
> [BS/BE/MS/MSc etc and discipline in which you did your degree] before anyone can
> even give you an advice. Not all IT fields are in high demand - with the
> recession and you will be competing against lot of Canadians (from Nortel/JDS
> etc layoffs) who have Canadian Experience to show on CV.
> > Can you help me in getting a job .I have 1 yr of software expeience in US and
> > UK as well as 4 yr experience in India.I applied for canada immig in August
> > 2001 but am disqualified now due to the new rules.
> >
> >
> > --

Begging will simply get you no where. You've been kicked out of every major country
in the world its hightime you go back to india you punk. Canada does not need retards
like you. With your experience in falsifying documents for immigration purposes, am
sure you won't find it hard getting a job milking cows.

--

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 11:40 am
Peter_all

Default Re: Hi Denise

Originally posted by jaihanumanjee
Can you help me in getting a job .I have 1 yr of software expeience in US and UK as well as 4 yr experience in India.I applied for canada immig in August 2001 but am disqualified now due to the new rules.
Begging will simply get you no where. You've been kicked out of every major country in the world its hightime you go back to india you punk. Canada does not need retards like you. With your experience in falsifying documents for immigration purposes, am sure you'll have no problems getting a job milking cows. In india.

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 11:55 am
Imrico

Very encouraging. Thank you. Especially for us who will be immigrating soon. (I
wouldn't mind flipping hamburgers, if they'll hire me.)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 23rd 2002, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

jaihanumanjee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Peter_all

Got to know Your Worsening Mental condition and that you are currently admitted in a Montreal Sanitorium from where you write in this N.G. According to Doctors,Your inner demonaic delusions of "seeing" yourself as an Immigration lawyer has taken its toll on your fragile brain . your mental handicap( Down's Syndrome )and untreatable Multiple Nick Disorder("ZULU","CONRAD" etc etc) has all contributed to your downfall.Hope you are able to collect your food stamps and Welfare cheques.
Old Jan 23rd 2002, 5:34 pm
Greg_del_pilar

Hi!

No offense, but I ddn't really understand what you've said here. I would appreciate
it if you could just tell us in plain terms whether or not you agree to the poster's
comments, and why. That would be a much positive contribution to this NG. And if you
don't agree, would you please be so kind to tell us why? Thanks!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.