Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Meeting residency obligation for PR

Meeting residency obligation for PR

Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

madhusivan is on a distinguished road
Default Meeting residency obligation for PR

Hi everyone,

We were granted PR in June 2005 and its valid until Aug 2010. We lived in Canada for 15 months. We had to move back to US because of my husband's job. Now we are thinking of coming back to Canada itself. So we would have to stay there atleast for another 9 months to meet the residency obligation. So I told my husband that its enough if we move in summer of 2009, so we will meet the conditions by staying for 15months even if we move in May 2009By doing this we will have a whole year (summer 08-summer09) to look for jobs and other research. But my husband thinks that we should move this summer itself to avoid any complications later. Will it be a problem if we move next summer?

Your input highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:17 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meeting residency obligation for PR

Try not to cut it too close, you never know what may happen and you have to spend time out of the country. You can do as you said, and it would be fine, but juts be careful about unforseen circumstances not knocking you out for the sake of a few weeks.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

madhusivan is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all

hello

you are thinking of only the first 5 years. please do think of situation after that too.
Just in case.... it is not 2years in the first 5 years and then 2 years in the next 5 years. it is 2 years in every 5 years preceding the point of calculation. so at the end of 6th year they will look at 5years just preceding to that year.

regs