British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Meds all done!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/meds-all-done-575871/)

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 7:03 am

Meds all done!!

Hi all

Just thought I would post an update on our experience and hope it helps reassure some of you:)

We are in London now after visiting Number One Health in Harley Street London, who were fantastic, very quick and efficient:thumbsup:

No need to really worry, we all had xrays done first and then had 5 min walk down the road for the actual meds, xrays all done within about 10 for the 2 of us.

The staff at the clinic were really nice, toys for the kids to play with in the waiting room, met another famaily from BE who are off to Aus and chatted with them:thumbup:

All very quick, with doctor about 10 mins each, straight forward eye, urine, blood test, quick check of any medical history, weight and height taken and that was about it, kids very very straight forward and easy.

Worst bit was paying for it, altogether 1 hr 50 mins £800:eek::eek::eek:

Fingers x all ok , re xray and blood test and we are now waiting on another brown envelope:huh::thumbup::thumbup:

christmasoompa Nov 29th 2008 7:07 am

Re: Meds all done!!

Excellent Nikki, congrats on being another step closer! :thumbsup:

chumley Nov 29th 2008 7:14 am

have been thinking of you today and eagerly awaiting an update!!

so glad all done for you wont be long now:thumbsup:

enjoy your time in London and when you get back to your own PC and if you have time can you just clarify re "quick check re med history "

did you take any records with you or anything?

very best to you and yours

many of us just behind you nikki and your posts are so encouraging so big fat thanks!

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 7:27 am

Originally Posted by chumley (Post 7021318)
have been thinking of you today and eagerly awaiting an update!!

so glad all done for you wont be long now:thumbsup:

enjoy your time in London and when you get back to your own PC and if you have time can you just clarify re "quick check re med history "

did you take any records with you or anything?

very best to you and yours

many of us just behind you nikki and your posts are so encouraging so big fat thanks!

Hi Chumley,

The questions we got were literally, are you on any medication?, any probs re general area's ie digestive, womens stuff:blink:, read the chart for a few letters(from not that far away), question re how much you drink/smoke etc, blood pressure taken, that was about it, as I say , no need to worry about actually going for the med:thumbup:

We took nothing with us re med records, I think this is only required if you have a long term medical condition under treatment.

Hope this helps a bit, good luck for next week:thumbup:

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 7:58 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 7021307)
Excellent Nikki, congrats on being another step closer! :thumbsup:

thanks christmasoompa:thumbup:

minimeeze Nov 29th 2008 9:12 am

We too went to Number One Health. They were very efficient. The only thing that niggled me was having to have a breast examination. I was asked if I check myself, which I do on a regular basis. It's also my job to teach women how to do self examination. My other half was asked if he checks his nuts, and when he said yes, they just said ok and didn't bother to check him :mad:

FlirtyKnickers Nov 29th 2008 9:18 am

Well done Nikki and Flogger.....i'm sure your relieved it all over ....roll on that brown envelope:thumbsup::thumbsup:

KJM Nov 29th 2008 9:24 am

Hi Nikki

Its such relief when that is done. Congrats

Do you do your exam yet?

K:)

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 9:55 am

Originally Posted by minimeeze (Post 7021544)
We too went to Number One Health. They were very efficient. The only thing that niggled me was having to have a breast examination. I was asked if I check myself, which I do on a regular basis. It's also my job to teach women how to do self examination. My other half was asked if he checks his nuts, and when he said yes, they just said ok and didn't bother to check him :mad:

didn't check either of us:thumbup:(although we do;)

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 9:56 am

Originally Posted by KJM (Post 7021563)
Hi Nikki

Its such relief when that is done. Congrats

Do you do your exam yet?

K:)

no I have that pleasure Mon am in the City somewhere:eek:

Originally Posted by FlirtyKnickers (Post 7021554)
Well done Nikki and Flogger.....i'm sure your relieved it all over ....roll on that brown envelope:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks FK:thumbup:

purple80 Nov 29th 2008 9:59 am

Congratulations Nikki,
Another hurdle passed.

Charlie

nikki dreaming Nov 29th 2008 10:13 am

Originally Posted by purple80 (Post 7021625)
Congratulations Nikki,
Another hurdle passed.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie:thumbup:

just waiting on the last step now:blink:

jhorsfield30 Nov 30th 2008 12:26 am

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming (Post 7021301)
Hi all

Just thought I would post an update on our experience and hope it helps reassure some of you:)

We are in London now after visiting Number One Health in Harley Street London, who were fantastic, very quick and efficient:thumbsup:

No need to really worry, we all had xrays done first and then had 5 min walk down the road for the actual meds, xrays all done within about 10 for the 2 of us.

The staff at the clinic were really nice, toys for the kids to play with in the waiting room, met another famaily from BE who are off to Aus and chatted with them:thumbup:

All very quick, with doctor about 10 mins each, straight forward eye, urine, blood test, quick check of any medical history, weight and height taken and that was about it, kids very very straight forward and easy.

Worst bit was paying for it, altogether 1 hr 50 mins £800:eek::eek::eek:

Fingers x all ok , re xray and blood test and we are now waiting on another brown envelope:huh::thumbup::thumbup:

WHAT £800!! Seriously, has anyone else got prices on these medicals? They can't all be around that price surely. What that a price for the kids aswell?

adele Nov 30th 2008 12:46 am

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30 (Post 7023037)
WHAT £800!! Seriously, has anyone else got prices on these medicals? They can't all be around that price surely. What that a price for the kids aswell?

I think she means £800 for the whole family - which I think is 2 adults 2 children in Nikki's case :unsure:

Probably about right - I paid £260 just for me, not a cheap couple of hours! (Kids are cheaper - they don't have to do x-rays if under 11, and kids don't have to have the blood tests for HIV & Syphillis) I had mine done at Leeds, which charges £260 for adults, £180 for children aged 11-14 and £100 for children 0-10.

Congrats on getting the medical out of the way Nikki and good luck for Monday morning :-)

Adele x

compchris Nov 30th 2008 6:09 am

Congratulations! Hopefully not too long until the next brown enveloppe arrives!

I remember doing mine in Birmingham, the doctor had a bit of a sense of humour, he told me we had to have a little chat to make sure I wasn't nuts and then got a rubber glove out and told me this was the really painful bit... can you go and pay the receptionist! I can't tell you how relieved I was...

Kriss