Medicals requests received

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice
Default Medicals requests received

Just had to share. We received our medical requests on Friday, Calgary is so near now we can almost taste it.

We never received AOR, just the med requests, request for fee and also they want a long copy of my daughters certificate (we have to send off for this!).

Meds are being done on Thursday in Nottingham (bit scared about this, weight side of it, but then I am a girl!)

So am going to sit back and relax now, nothing else we can do!

Thanks to all on here. You've all been most helpful over the past year or so. Not sure I would've got through it without all the information on here.

KAT
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

kiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant future
Default Re: Medicals requests received

Hi
Congratulations you are now on the final furlong.
Jill and I went to Nottingham and it was a breeze so there really is no need to worry I am sure you will be fine.

Lee and Jill
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and best wishes!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:41 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Congratulations
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Gary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really niceGary and Suzie is just really nice

Hi
Congratulations, its nice to hear they are still sending them out. We wait patiently each day for postie.
When did you apply?
We are from Nottingham, so looking forward to contacting the same doctor soon
Best wishes, see you in Calgary {hopefully}
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:56 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future

Are you guys concerned at all about the new regulations that Canada just passed regarding Immigration and how they are planning to scan all files (old and new ones) to sort them according to skills or NOC number?

I am so worried about my file... I applied as a FSW... I got my medical exams request back in November... they also asked me to send other documents with it... I sent medical results at the beginning of Jan but couldn't send one of the police reports they asked for until yesterday!

I wonder if files like ours.... in the last leg of the race are going to continue to be processed according to our expectations... you know: getting passport requests after few weeks and so on...

What do you guys think? What is your representative telling you? I don't have one so I can only go with what people say in forums like this one...

I hope we all get passport requests real soon!

Good luck to all of you!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

KAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really niceKAT16 is just really nice

Thanks for all the responses.

Gary and Susie - We applied for Alberta PNP in Jan 08 as my OH has a been offered a job. We were approved in March and applied for PR in April so it has been relatively quick for us. Just looking forward to August now, so we can get out there and start our new life. We live in Rutland now and am trying to sort the "must takes" from the "want to takes" from the "not a chance on earth of going" stuff.

Yalily, I don't think the new regulations apply to us as we are going through the PNP and have arranged employment. Just waiting for Thurs now for the Medicals

Hope it all happens quickly for the rest of you.

Karen
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about

This is what It says on the CIC site so I assume all applications received before Feb 27 2008 will be processed as normal.

"Those who submitted an application before February 27, 2008—the day after the federal budget, of which these changes are a part—would continue to be processed under the current system."

All the best
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yalily
Are you guys concerned at all about the new regulations that Canada just passed regarding Immigration and how they are planning to scan all files (old and new ones) to sort them according to skills or NOC number?

I am so worried about my file... I applied as a FSW... I got my medical exams request back in November... they also asked me to send other documents with it... I sent medical results at the beginning of Jan but couldn't send one of the police reports they asked for until yesterday!

I wonder if files like ours.... in the last leg of the race are going to continue to be processed according to our expectations... you know: getting passport requests after few weeks and so on...

What do you guys think? What is your representative telling you? I don't have one so I can only go with what people say in forums like this one...

I hope we all get passport requests real soon!

Good luck to all of you!
Hi
The new ruling only applies to those files submitted after 27th Feb 08 ....so any prior to that will not fall under those new rules
Hope this helps
Stef and Lins
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:35 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future

Well, I wish all of you getting medicals done the best and a quick passport request!

and yes, I have read that old applications will be processed as they had been prior to Feb 27Th... but I keep reading these newspaper articles talking about how CIC is going to dust old files and sort thru them and how CIC is not even working on new files submitted after Feb 28th until they receive clear instructions on how to apply the new regulations...

I guess I must follow the advice some people have given me... sit tight and wait for your next brown envelope... I just hope it doesn't take too long...

Good Luck to all of you who are waiting for your final answer!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:41 pm
Lily

Here is the article I was telling you about... your feedback?

John Ivison, National Post
Published: Thursday, June 19, 2008

Leah Hennel, Canwest News Service Files
OTTAWA -The Harper government´s controversial immigration proposals passed into law yesterday but the hard work aimed at reducing the backlog of 925,000 applications, and streamlining Canada´s migration program, has just begun.

The next step is to drag the system into the 21st century by finding out exactly who has applied to come to Canada. Remarkably, the federal government has no idea what skills the people in line have to offer and only the faintest inkling what skills the country needs to satisfy current shortages.

To address these shortcomings, the government will now spend $100-million leafing through the dusty pile of applications on hand to code them according to occupation. In the meantime, Diane Finley, the Minister for Citizenship and Immigration, will visit the provinces and ask them about their job-vacancy situation.

The new legislation means bureaucrats do not need to process every new application that lands in their in-tray, which should mean that the backlog stops growing. Ms. Finley has talked of bringing in more applicants, faster, and the goal is to reduce the wait time to around a year from the current four years.

No one argues against the modernization of the immigration bureaucracy. But the main point of contention for many immigrant groups is fear the new policy will limit the number of family reunification cases, resulting in a significant shift in the type of newcomers to Canada.

There is no doubt these fears are justified -- change is coming. Officials say privately that no decisions have been taken on how the system is to be re-structured, but there was much chatter within the government recently about a study by Australian immigration expert Lesleyanne Hawthorne, which compared the Australian and Canadian systems.

It seems the conclusion has already been reached that Canada´s "human capital model" points system is out-dated and does not supply the type of immigrants the country needs. The current selection process awards points on the basis of skills,

age, education, language (although there is no need for competence to be tested), work experience and occupational demand.

However, even though the application process was tweaked by the Liberals in 2002, many Canadian officials interviewed for the Hawthorne study said the process admits applicants with limited English or French language skills, "general" rather than job specific skills and qualifications that are often not recognized. "Given that newly arrived migrants are more than twice as likely to possess degrees, it seems essential to redress this skills wastage," Ms. Hawthorne concluded.

The Australians used a similar system until 1996 when, in Ms. Hawthorne´s words, the new government of John Howard shifted policy "from altruism to pragmatism." The Australians tailored their points system to give greater weighting to factors of skill, age and English language ability. Successful applicants must now pass an English language test, proving he or she has "partial command of the language."

Additional points are awarded for those who are qualified to fill occupations in demand, for those whose degree-level qualifications relate to specific (rather than generic) professions, and for those with job offers.

The gains have been tangible. A decade ago, about 60% of applicants in both countries secured some form of work within six months of their arrival. In Canada that rate has stagnated. In Australia, the rate is now 83%, despite the two countries having near-identical economic cycles. Wage outcomes there have increased dramatically, while in Canada they have gone in the opposite direction (it now takes up to 30 years for a newcomer to reach parity with comparably qualified Canadians).

Small wonder the Conservatives are looking Down Under for inspiration. Officials remain tight-lipped on specific changes but a mandatory pre-migration English or French language test would seem to be in the offing, as well as a re-evaluation of the proportion of points awarded for pre-migration work experience and qualifications.

"It´s not rocket science to know that if you match the people you are bringing in with the needs of the market, you will find that the outcomes are much better," said one official.

As is so often the case in politics, the party traditionally associated with an issue is unable to institute reform. The Liberals tried to raise the number of points required for entry to 75 from 70 back in 2002 but were forced to retreat, under pressure from their immigrant constituency, eventually capitulating and reducing the number required to 67.

The Conservatives inherited a situation in which the wait time would have increased to a decade within five years. They have taken the initial steps toward reducing the backlog and should now continue at speed down the road the Australians have already proven leads to a sleeker and more competitive immigration system.

[email protected]
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lily

Another interesting article... this one about new applications being put on hold... it does not say anything about old applications though

New immigration reforms put applications on hold

Ottawa officials are awaiting instructions from ministry about which candidates will be processed
Jun 21, 2008 04:30 AM
Nicholas Keung
IMMIGRATION/DIVERSITY REPORTER

Newly passed immigration reforms, which the federal government said were aimed at reducing a staggering backlog of applications by would-be immigrants, are creating a new logjam.

The backlog, which stood at 925,000 before the legislation was brought in, could grow by an additional 90,000 because officials have stopped processing new applications.

Prospective immigrants who submitted applications after Feb. 26, when the legislation was introduced, have been told by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that their applications are being put on hold until further notice.

"It is expected that Canada's Minister of Citizenship and Immigration will, within the next several months, be providing instructions to visa offices as to which applications are to be accepted for processing and which are to be returned unprocessed," Canadian visa officers explained in letters to applicants.

When the instructions from the minister are received, "we will apply them to our inventory of applications," the letter says.

The move to stop processing new applications has baffled immigration lawyers and consultants, with some worried their clients' applications will be discarded altogether and they will be asked to reapply. Immigration officials declined to comment yesterday. The immigration reforms, passed by the Senate this week, give Immigration Minister Diane Finley the power to reject applications even if applicants meet all the criteria, and to instruct officials to cherry-pick immigrants based on labour market needs.

In a news release issued after the legislation's passage, the immigration department said the law "will stop the backlog from growing" and help to bring in skilled immigrants in as little as six months.

Canada received about 174,000 overseas applications in each of the last two years. Based on that figure, an average of 14,500 new applications could be piling up each month.

With the minister's instructions not expected until the fall, the number of people waiting in this latest queue could reach almost 90,000.

Also, while an applicant will get a refund of the processing fee if an application is returned, fees for professional help from lawyers and consultants are not refundable.

"I am surprised that they are putting the new applications on hold while waiting for the minister's instructions. And there is no indication how long they will be on hold," said Toronto immigration lawyer Gary Segal, whose client received one such letter from the Buffalo visa office two weeks ago.

To ensure fairness, the new applications should continue to be processed, Segal argued.

According to immigration's notification to applicants, once the instructions are issued, officials will start processing those applications received on Feb. 27, the day after the legislation was introduced, and proceed in chronological order.

"We will mail you a letter within 60 days of publication of the minister's instructions," it said.

The uncertainty has made it difficult for lawyers and consultants to offer advice to prospective clients, some of whom have already been deterred from applying, said Toronto immigration lawyer Mario Bellissimo.