Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medicals - Information Disclosure / Anxiety

Medicals - Information Disclosure / Anxiety

Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of
Default Medicals - Information Disclosure / Anxiety

Got my medicals coming up and just wondered how to handle the following:

1)Last summer I went to doctors suffering from feeling sick, dizzy, pains in jaw -pretty miserable basically. Doc believed it was anxiety/stress and offered me anti-depressants, therapy or time. At the time I was dealing with stress at work, immigration process and finding out my partner was pregnant... not exactly planned

So I decided to take the time option and went away and started relaxing more, changing my thought patterns etc. I have never gone back to the doc about this issue and feeling much better so happy for no treatment.

When asked in the medical "do you suffer from anxiety, depression or nervous problems requiring treatment" can I simply say no as I chose no treatment?

2) I have sometimes been told my blood pressure "is a little high" but never given medications or asked to come back and be monitored. When asked if I suffer from high blood pressure is that a "yes"?

Cheers.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Medicals - Information Disclosure / Anxiety

My husband has been suffering from anxiety related to an incident at work (he's a police officer) and was put on anti-depressants for anxiety. When we went for the medicals he was asked if he "had ever" suffered from anxiety or depression and he declared this.

We paid for a report from our doctor to say that it was work incident-related, no previous history of anxiety or depression, that he had had counselling, what medication he was on and that, as far as he was concered, this is a one off and coming to an end. The DMP said CHC are not really worried about this sort of level. He took the report and sent it to CHC anyway. We got our passport requests around 5 weeks later.

If anxiety is not on your medical records I wouldn't worry too much though.

As for blood pressure, it's all down to what it is on the day. If it hasn't been treated and you are worried it might be up on the day, you can either get your doc to look into it and another report showing that it is being treated (cheaper than them referring you for loads of tests), or hope that on the day it is within the boundaries - 140/90 I think.
Again, we took a report about this showing my OH has had full investigations and as it happened it was normal on the day and the DMP threw the report in the bin. He said the raised bp was likely to be related to the anxiety.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79

1)Last summer I went to doctors suffering from feeling sick, dizzy, pains in jaw -pretty miserable basically. Doc believed it was anxiety/stress and offered me anti-depressants, therapy or time. At the time I was dealing with stress at work, immigration process and finding out my partner was pregnant... not exactly planned

So I decided to take the time option and went away and started relaxing more, changing my thought patterns etc. I have never gone back to the doc about this issue and feeling much better so happy for no treatment.

When asked in the medical "do you suffer from anxiety, depression or nervous problems requiring treatment" can I simply say no as I chose no treatment?

2) I have sometimes been told my blood pressure "is a little high" but never given medications or asked to come back and be monitored. When asked if I suffer from high blood pressure is that a "yes"?

Cheers.
Also ask to see your records ? just a thought
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

ok,

this depends on a lot...

Firstly, what class are you going through on.

IF familly and your being sponsored by a MOF then this does not really matter too much. As it doesnt effect your scoring. IF your going independant/working etc.

It still may not matter too much as it depends on what ammount of medical cover you may need,

What there trying to assess is wether your medical condition is likly to be a burden on the canadian helth system. I think there is a figure they work out, so with meds and helthcare if your likly to be over say $50,000 / year thats going to be an issue.

As a sponsored parter, Can. sees your partner taking care of you, hence why its not an issue.

as an example, I am a type 1 diabetic, some blood pressure issus, heart murmur (not an issue), had lower back problems, wear eye glasses, thyroid. and I had no problems.

I would suggest to you, to declare EVERYTHING, they can find out if they want to and they WILL ask your GP for your records.

better to declare than not declare as that suggests that you are not trustworthy.

what youve described is not a major issue, actually thinging about it I had 1 week of with stress when I was being intimated by one of my old companies, I declared that,

trust me , dont worry about it, and have a good nights sleep !

Cheers.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

LaurenandLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaye944
I would suggest to you, to declare EVERYTHING, they can find out if they want to and they WILL ask your GP for your records.

better to declare than not declare as that suggests that you are not trustworthy.

!

Ive been told that they do not (cannot) ask for your whole medical records from your gp but just ask for gp reports on the conditions you disclose?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Cheers.
I would say "no" to both. You might have been depressed back then but actually suffering depressions is different. Wayyyy different. You werent on meds, you didnt get treatment: Don't worry about it.

And as long as the CIC doc is fine with your blood pressure you are o.k.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The amount is more like $5000 a year, it is an allocation by the health service per head capita for budgetting purposes. Likely to exceed that and they will not be interested. From your circs you should be fine, get a letter from GP to state isolated episode etc
Good luck
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by jaye944
ok,

this depends on a lot...

Firstly, what class are you going through on.

IF familly and your being sponsored by a MOF then this does not really matter too much. As it doesnt effect your scoring. IF your going independant/working etc.

It still may not matter too much as it depends on what ammount of medical cover you may need,

What there trying to assess is wether your medical condition is likly to be a burden on the canadian helth system. I think there is a figure they work out, so with meds and helthcare if your likly to be over say $50,000 / year thats going to be an issue.

As a sponsored parter, Can. sees your partner taking care of you, hence why its not an issue.

as an example, I am a type 1 diabetic, some blood pressure issus, heart murmur (not an issue), had lower back problems, wear eye glasses, thyroid. and I had no problems.

what youve described is not a major issue, actually thinging about it I had 1 week of with stress when I was being intimated by one of my old companies, I declared that,

trust me , dont worry about it, and have a good nights sleep !
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

CIC/Imiigration can ask for anything they need to confirm information you have given them.

As I've explained from what you told me just answer the questions honestly and openly. That way you have declared evberything, if you omit something they find out later they could throw out your application.

In some cases there is an other box, you can also add a printed paper with any explanations, trust me, your worrying too much

good luck

Originally Posted by LaurenandLuke
Ive been told that they do not (cannot) ask for your whole medical records from your gp but just ask for gp reports on the conditions you disclose?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

cheers Stef,
thats sound right, I knew there was a 5 and some 0s

good advise as well

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
The amount is more like $5000 a year, it is an allocation by the health service per head capita for budgetting purposes. Likely to exceed that and they will not be interested. From your circs you should be fine, get a letter from GP to state isolated episode etc
Good luck
lol
Stef
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Thanks for everyone's replies - much appreciated.

I probably am worrying about it too much, then again worrying about things too much is what the initial problem was

If the questions is as black and white as "have you suffered from anxiety which required treatment" I will truthfully say no I have not. I have suffered stress and anxiety at certain points in my life like most but have dealt with it without treatment.

If my blood pressure is high on the day I will just say what do you expect with a two month old baby to deal with
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Mondkatze is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a follow-up question: do the officers REALLY check medical records? Are they actually allowed to do that?
Did anyone had such an experience?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Mondkatze
Just a follow-up question: do the officers REALLY check medical records? Are they actually allowed to do that?
Did anyone had such an experience?
The medicals don't go to the Immigration office. They go to the Regional Medical Centres, where their are reviewed by Immigration Drs. The Drs. use a code result to the Immigration centre, i.e. M-1 no problems to M-7 medically inadmissible. If the person is medically inadmissible, then a narrative outlining the reason is included.

If you really want to see what the codes mean, read http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...r/ir03-eng.pdf page 10

Last edited by PMM; Apr 22nd 2010 at 5:24 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Mondkatze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
The medicals don't go to the Immigration office. They go to the Regional Medical Centres, where their are reviewed by Immigration Drs. The Drs. use a code result to the Immigration centre, i.e. M-1 no problems to M-7 medically inadmissible. If the person is medically inadmissible, then a narrative outlining the reason is included.
Thank you, PMM!
I think i was unclear. By "records" I meant actual files from GP's office or computer, that contain information about your condition, treatment, number of visits etc. On other boards, I heard about medical offices digging out such information from applicants' records, but I was sure that something like that is actually prhibited by law! I had to undergo some treatment for anxiety/depression in Canada two years ago that was... well.. quite costly for the government. How likely are the medical officers in London to dig that out?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really niceKynn is just really nice

If you're worried about Blood Pressure in a situation like that and if when they check it it's high, explain to the dr that you're really nervous and ask him to check it again once you've done the medical (ie, once you've had a chance to calm down and relax). I know when my partner had his done, the dr asked if he was nervous, and he said "yes, a bit, I'm not sure what to expect from this today" so the dr said "ok, we'll wait until later to take your blood pressure so that we get a more accurate reading" and then went on to explain what to expect. By the time they got to the blood pressure reading, it was a non issue! Just be up front with the dr.