Medicals for Canada

Old Sep 25th 2004, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

red rabbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Medicals for Canada

Hi there,

Is there anyone out there that could give me some info on medicals.

What is involved?

Do they ask medical history? Do they get is touch with my G.P.? Do they weigh you? (Oh dear!) Is weight a reason for refusal?

Has anyone used the doctor in Thornton Heath or Horsham?

Red Rabbit
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:11 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals for Canada

Originally Posted by red rabbit
Hi there,

Is there anyone out there that could give me some info on medicals.

What is involved?

Do they ask medical history? Do they get is touch with my G.P.? Do they weigh you? (Oh dear!) Is weight a reason for refusal?

Has anyone used the doctor in Thornton Heath or Horsham?

Red Rabbit
Yes, they weigh you and take your medical history. The potential health risks due to overweight would be considered along with other factors. But it is largely just a more rigorous sort of insurance medical with extra tests.
Old Sep 26th 2004, 12:57 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice
Default Re: Medicals for Canada

Yes, they ask for any medical history, such as any stays in hospital, and you have a to complete a questionnaire about medication you've been on - prescription and, erm, non-prescription.

And yes, they do weigh you and measure your height, check your reflexes and your vision (in a rather perfunctory manner in my case). They also do a chest x-ray and take a urine sample and blood sample. Mine took about half an hour.

I imagine that they might just reject someone on grounds of obesity, if it was likely that the person's weight would lead to excessive pressure on the health services, but I think you'd have to be exceptionally big for them to reject you on those grounds. That isn't a consideration if you're applying in the family class, as they don't worry how expensive you're likely to be if you're married or otherwise seriously embroiled with a permanent resident living in Canada, or with a Canadian citizen, but they do check you over for contagious and infectious diseases.