Medical & Security Clearance Tips

Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:39 am
Just Joined

WyteWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical & Security Clearance Tips

We filed an out-of-Canada application for permanent residency & are awaiting the outcome now. I've since learned 2 important tips that may help some of you out there...
#1 - Despite arguing with the staff at the Bow River Professional Center in Calgary, AB, we were issued only a single receipt as proof of medical examination. We knew then & after a consultation with our lawyer that we required a 1017slc (I think - I'm writing this from memory) but the clinic refused to give this to us, insisting that merely issuing a receipt was the only practice they followed. Immigration Canada would sort it out. They were wrong. And yeah, they sorted it out alright... they returned our paperwork & we were required to get the proper form causing a 2 month delay. My first piece of advice, is to avoid Dr. Brij Sood... not only were they wrong, they were rude, and they still charged us to correct their mistake (not to mention the additional administrative costs).
#2 - If you happen to reside in the country you are planning on immigrating to, remember the 6 month rule... You are required to submit security clearances for every country that you've lived in for 6 months or more. This should not have affected us, because Brazilian processing times are not bad... 50% of cases are resolved within 6 months. No thanks to the delay that the Bow River medical clinic caused us, it has now been 6 months & we have are now required to get a Canadian security clearance as well. That's another 150 day delay.
The lesson learned here?? Be firm, be diligent. If we had used another practitioner for the medical examination when we suspected things were not being done right, we would have saved ourselves 4-5 months - not to mention the lost income this delay has caused us. And if you are thinking of residing in the country you are planning on immigrating to, you may as well include a security clearance for that country with your application...
80% of out-of-Canada cases are resolved within 8 months in Brazil, but I think we'll count ourselves fortunate to be in that class now...
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:41 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical & Security Clearance Tips

Originally Posted by WyteWolf
We filed an out-of-Canada application for permanent residency & are awaiting the outcome now. I've since learned 2 important tips that may help some of you out there...
#1 - Despite arguing with the staff at the Bow River Professional Center in Calgary, AB, we were issued only a single receipt as proof of medical examination. We knew then & after a consultation with our lawyer that we required a 1017slc (I think - I'm writing this from memory) but the clinic refused to give this to us, insisting that merely issuing a receipt was the only practice they followed. Immigration Canada would sort it out. They were wrong. And yeah, they sorted it out alright... they returned our paperwork & we were required to get the proper form causing a 2 month delay. My first piece of advice, is to avoid Dr. Brij Sood... not only were they wrong, they were rude, and they still charged us to correct their mistake (not to mention the additional administrative costs).
#2 - If you happen to reside in the country you are planning on immigrating to, remember the 6 month rule... You are required to submit security clearances for every country that you've lived in for 6 months or more. This should not have affected us, because Brazilian processing times are not bad... 50% of cases are resolved within 6 months. No thanks to the delay that the Bow River medical clinic caused us, it has now been 6 months & we have are now required to get a Canadian security clearance as well. That's another 150 day delay.
The lesson learned here?? Be firm, be diligent. If we had used another practitioner for the medical examination when we suspected things were not being done right, we would have saved ourselves 4-5 months - not to mention the lost income this delay has caused us. And if you are thinking of residing in the country you are planning on immigrating to, you may as well include a security clearance for that country with your application...
80% of out-of-Canada cases are resolved within 8 months in Brazil, but I think we'll count ourselves fortunate to be in that class now...
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences but thanks for sharing with us and the good advise