Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical question and family sponsorship

Medical question and family sponsorship

Old Jul 25th 2002, 9:20 pm
Dajino

Default Medical question and family sponsorship

My fiance (Turkey) just passed his medical. They found something wrong with him but
the doctor said that on his forms, there is a code saying he is from the family class
therefore that will not prevent him to going to Canada anyway because of the new law,
except if he had HIV or something of the like, which is not the case here. He said
that my fiance can choose to be treated either in Turkey or Canada.

I read something on this new law about medicals and family sponsorship but I am not
sure exactly what it means. Also, since our file is assessed under the new law, and
my fiance's medical form having this code pertaining to the new law, I am not sure
what should be expected. The doctor said not to worry but I don't think he is the one
giving the o.k. although his say must weigh in the balance?

Thank you

Old Jul 26th 2002, 5:21 am
pkjmet

Default Re: Medical question and family sponsorship

"dajino" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > My fiance (Turkey) just passed his medical. They found something wrong with him but
    > the doctor said that on his forms, there is a code saying he is from the family
    > class therefore that will not prevent him to going to Canada anyway because of the
    > new law, except if he had HIV or something of the like, which is not the case here.
    > He said that my fiance can choose to be treated either in Turkey or Canada.
    >
    > I read something on this new law about medicals and family sponsorship but I am not
    > sure exactly what it means. Also, since our file is assessed under the new law, and
    > my fiance's medical form having this code pertaining to the new law, I am not sure
    > what should be expected. The doctor said not to worry but I don't think he is the
    > one giving the o.k. although his say must weigh in the balance?
    >
    > Thank you

The only members of the family class who are exempted from the "excessive demand"
medical criteria are spouses and common law and conjugal partners. As your fiance
does not fall into this exemption he could be refused if his medical indicates he is
described in the act as having a medical condition which might cause excessive
demands. My advice would be to wait until you receive word from the visa office.
Before any applicant is refused on medical grounds he will be given the opportunity
to refute the findings of the Medical Office.

Jim Metcalfe, Consultant and former visa officer