Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical: Past/recent alcohol abuse

Medical: Past/recent alcohol abuse

Old Jan 22nd 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Phul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical: Past/recent alcohol abuse

Hi there,

I'd be interested in your thoughts and advice re the Medical - which we're hoping will be the next thing that happens.

There was some alcohol abuse in the recent past for which I sought medical assistance - Blood tests showed that my liver was having a hard time but this all came right in about a month. I haven't touched a drop since and do not intend to.

The "Medical Report: Section A Client Identification & Summary" has a section 'C' for "Findings that may require more extensive investigations or care" and includes "BEHAVIOUR appears to be POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS to others (e.g. some psychiatric disorders or illicit drug/alcohol abuse during the last two years, especially when associated with impaired driving or legal difficulties)".

The "Medical Report: Section B Functional Inquiry, Background Information and Applicant's Declaration" has the question "Have you ever been ADDICTED to alcohol or a drug, or taken drugs illegally?" and also
"Any medical, psychological, alcohol related, or other TREATMENT in the past 5 years?"

I also found the "Designated Medical Practitioner Handbook" which includes this "ALCOHOL/DRUG ABUSE OR ADDICTION When there is a positive history of alcohol/drug abuse or addiction, the details should include the history of any social or occupational consequences from the
abuse/addiction, any history of detoxification or rehabilitation programs, and the duration of abstinence or if there is current use of alcohol or drugs"

Seeking medical advise was possibly a mistake as it's now on my permanent medical record but there's nothing that can be done about that now.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to 'finesse' this issue when the time comes?

Cheers.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 10:31 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical: Past/recent alcohol abuse

Seeking medical advice was in no way a mistake!

You did what was necessary to get help and your health is by far the better for it - how can that be a mistake?

I am sure that when you get to the medical you will find that the forms are no problem.

Be honest and the doctor will understand exactly the position you were in.
He/she will complete the forms sensibly in the light of the medical information you give and it should cause no problems at all .