Medical Insurance - IEC

Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance - IEC

My son came to stay with us in April for 6 months, and acquired travel insurance to cover that period. Whilst here, he decided to apply and was granted an IEC visa which expires Oct 2012. He has just received his Alberta Health Card - does he need additional medical insurance? He has a full time job; however, the employer does not offer medical benefits. We both receive medical benefits through our employers, but given that our son is no longer a dependent, I assume we can not add him on to our policy for an additional premium?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Poppit

Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance - IEC

Hi there,

A condition of the IEC visa is that he maintains (his own) insurance for the period of his stay. It must also (I believe), include repatriation to the UK. If you are PR's and he's not, I'm guessing your own insurance won't provide this cover regardless of whether you're able to extend it to him.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks rubberduckofdeath - any advice on where we can purchase this? He had travel insurance for the duration of his 6 month stay; IEC wasn't on the radar then, so initial insurance was for just over 6 months. He did not return to the UK as his visa arrived a month before he was due to fly home and he was fortunate enough to be offered a job.

I have searched for this information, but as with all insurance policies, it can be a bit sketchy, and I want to make sure he has adequate insurance with the option of extending it, if he applies and is successful with a second IEC visa.

Thanks for your time!

Poppit

Old Dec 14th 2011, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Try "Downunder Insurance" (www.duinsure.com), other than that there were a bunch of discussions about insurance on the IEC threads in this section of the forum.

Has he activated his work permit? I assume he has! If not he needs to do so to work legally...
Old Dec 14th 2011, 5:18 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine from TravelSupermarket last year, you can get it for around 100 quid for a year as long as he won't be doing any heavy lifting etc at work.

He will be eligible for the provincial HIP in some areas after a few months of working but he may still need to provide proof of travel insurance at the border when the permit is activated.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks - yes, he has already activated his visa, and was still covered on his travel insurance. He can't get insurance through a UK company because he's not currently resident in the UK, so needs a canadian company. I'll have another search to see what I can find.

Thanks rubberduckofdeath and DigitalGhost for your advice.

Poppit
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppit
Thanks - yes, he has already activated his visa, and was still covered on his travel insurance. He can't get insurance through a UK company because he's not currently resident in the UK, so needs a canadian company. I'll have another search to see what I can find.

Thanks rubberduckofdeath and DigitalGhost for your advice.

Poppit
No worries! PM me if I can help with anything else!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 2:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, you're welcome and if he has made it into the country on a WP already and has an Alberta health card now then you have nothing to worry about as far as I can see.