Medical History

Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Brady Bunch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical History

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this forum so hopefully I am doing this properly! My Wife and I are at the very start of our journey and exploring all of the options available to us for immigration to Canada. I have found your forum very helpful and it is clear to us that this process may take quite a while as it seems our best option will be to apply through the Skilled Worker Programme.

My only concern at this stage is with regards to my medical history. I was wondering if being a recovering alchoholic would affect my application?

I have thankfully been clean and sober for a number of years now and I would ideally like to keep this anonymous. I do however have some brief medical history detailing some of my prior issues with alchohol and drugs as I sought advise during this time with my GP. Assuming my medical records would be reviewed during my application do you think this may be a problem?

Any help would be grateful thanks
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical History

Hi
Welcome to the forum.....and a huge pat on the back for putting your problems behind you.

I do not have a definitive answer and it is a matter for you whether you disclose it or not. You do not have to give medical history on the application form. Looking at the medical form list or considerations that the Doctor would complete during any medical....other than the usual question re how many units alcohol /days and how many on a single occasion, there is only one other question:

Do you feel this applicant is at increased risk for developing alcohol-related problems, is currently experiencing alcohol related problems (abuse) or is alcohol dependant??

What I would say is that you are a recovering alcoholic and as such never truly 'cured' ( I was previously married to an alcoholic, so do speak with some knowledge of the fight you have hopefully won.....sadly My ex refused to get help and I chose to leave the marriage) therefore, I would be honest with the Doctor at the time of any medical and also take a summary of you previous medical History. From that they will be able to see when you sought help and any treatments recorded. My summary from my GP only went back 5 years.

Good luck whatever you decide to do....and I am so pleased that you have been clean for so long.....proud of you....Its been one heck of a battle....sending hugs
Stef

Originally Posted by Brady Bunch
Hi everyone,

I am totally new to this forum so hopefully I am doing this properly! My Wife and I are at the very start of our journey and exploring all of the options available to us for immigration to Canada. I have found your forum very helpful and it is clear to us that this process may take quite a while as it seems our best option will be to apply through the Skilled Worker Programme.

My only concern at this stage is with regards to my medical history. I was wondering if being a recovering alchoholic would affect my application?

I have thankfully been clean and sober for a number of years now and I would ideally like to keep this anonymous. I do however have some brief medical history detailing some of my prior issues with alchohol and drugs as I sought advise during this time with my GP. Assuming my medical records would be reviewed during my application do you think this may be a problem?

Any help would be grateful thanks
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to scare yourself half to death, have a read of the Designated Medical Practitioners' Handbook, which is freely available on the web.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/resourc...book/index.asp

In particular, to avoid you wading through 145 pages of guidance, look at page 77 of the pdf version, which tells you the questions they will ask, which includes a history of addiction to alcohol. There is also stuff relating to how many units you drink a week, etc elsewhere in the handbook, and a guide as to what they are looking for (eg your rehab, recovery, etc).

Being slightly paranoid, I'm wondering if we should even bother applying at all, as I can answer YES to about 5 or 6 questions. "Have you EVER.... had...." Ever is a long time when you're in your 40s! Ever had stomach pains? Er loads of times. The only comfort is that it seems like the doc fills it in with you, so you should have the opportunity to explain your situation fully and he/she will take down what's relevant.

As well as lots of minor medical issues that I am hoping they don't blow up out of all proportion, our eldest son is currently being assessed for Aspergers, which I know will also cause difficulties, even though he has managed to function pretty well for nearly 13 years without getting statemented. We wait and see on that one.

Stef has been through the medical so has experienced it first hand.

BTW - what's the check for tattoos? What's that all about?!!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5

BTW - what's the check for tattoos? What's that all about?!!
I was asked and had to have an additional blood test - think it was for some type of Hep
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yes I think it is for Hep B....what a way to find out that the tattoo artist may have used a dirty needle!!!!

I think all the Docs on the list operate on a variation of a theme. My experiences are probably different to someone elses. What I will say is that they do not follow the Handbook very closely. How the medical goes will ultimately lead to the skipping through some bits and being more in depth for others.
Stef

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I was asked and had to have an additional blood test - think it was for some type of Hep
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Medical History

I managed to track down a copy of the forms that the designated medical practitioner uses when asking his "questions" at the medical. (They are no longer available to download at CIC website).

https://nairobi.iom.int/ppmrt/PPMRT/...ection%20B.pdf

(If you want to see the other sheets put in 20C / 20D / 20E in place of the 20B in the full web address.)

One of the questions that is asked is

13. Have you ever been ADDICTED to alcohol or a drug, or taken drugs illegally?

Now, I would be very careful how you answer this.

My son told the DMP that he had never been addicted to alcohol or drugs, but that he had smoked the odd joint as a teenager at parties and suchlike (socially, infrequently).

The DMP asked him if he was sure he wanted to admit to this - my son said yes (he had a conviction when he was 18 for having under $10 worth of cannabis, which he received a small fine for).

Immigration Canada Medical department sent my son for psychiatric assessment to find out if he was a danger to the public! (He was given a clean bill of health).

If you can get a letter from your doctor confirming that you have been sober for x years in case you are asked to prove it it probably wouldn't hurt.

The DMP does not ask for the medical records so I don't think that would be a problem, however, when my son went for his psychiatric assessment, the Psychiatrist asked for and received permission to obtain my son's medical records, he didn't bother to get them.

Just a heads up!

Don't be put off - apply, it's wonderful here

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 13th 2010 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

The CIC download definitely is available, as I've just done it - that's the same list I was referring to! Page 77 of the pdf download.

Glad to hear they don't follow it too religiously, but I can see how you could set yourself up to getting all sorts of further reports.

We'll gear ourselves up for additional blood tests, then (we both have tattoos - hubby is ex-tattooist, so we know about licensing and health regs, sterilising needles, etc which tattooists now must comply with in the UK...), and probably lots of additional reports saying there's (hopefully) nothing major wrong with us. Sounds like the doctors can use some level of common sense? Or am I just being overly optomistic?

Don't forget, BB, they are looking for if you will place excess demand on health/social in Canada, so they need to be (as confident as they can be) that you won't relapse. As Siouxie has warned, could be just an additional psych report required. Go for it - hopefully will just be a delay and additional report at worst. There's lots of folk had to do that on here and got through.

BTW Siouxie - thanks for your support last year re crim rehab - we got it through in less than a month - cleared!! One hurdle over at least...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone thanks very much for all of your advise. I was a bit reluctant to tell the whole forum that I was a recovering alchoholic but my mind is somewhat at ease now. I would hate to think that getting some support from my gp and sorting out my drinking problem could effect my chances of emigrating! A letter from my GP may be an option if needed

Having just joined the forum it is clear to me that I have many hurdles ahead of me how long does it normally take to process a skilled worker visa? am i right in thinking that the medical is towards the end of the process? My wife and i havent even put much thought into what part of Canada we would like to live in if we were successful. Im sure thats the least of my worries at this stage!

cheers everyone
Old Jan 13th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

There's tonnes of info in the Wiki (link at the top of the page on the blue bar). Take a look at all the info in there first, and it will answer many of your questions.

Yes, the medical is at the end.

FSW1 I have heard is taking 6 - 12 months. Things like additional med reports/crim rehab/forms not filled in properly(!) will all delay it. I'm only looking at FSW1 at present, so sorry no idea on other routes (of which I am sure you are aware, there are many).

Don't worry about telling us about your problem - you'd be surprised what people have revealed on here..... you can always PM people as well, if it is something you don't want out in the open (think you need to post a certain number of times before you can do that, but it isn't many).

Good luck with your research!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for the heads up
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough

I guess doctors are so used to people routinely lying about the regularity of exercise, smoking, drinking, diet, drugs - that they use a double the answer and times the result by three rule of thumb to find the real real truth.

So I guess the problem is when someone does tell the truth they get hammered; so your son saying "yeah I'll tell the truth, I smoked one or two joints at a party once when I was 17/18" gets translated into, "I am an international drugs barren and ship 100 tons a year of pure Columbian to Canada and my Hells Angels gangs distribute it all at gun point for me throughout Canada."

Of course the danger in writing a humorous post on this topic (by the above double x 3 rule) could indicate the author (me) is clearly a deranged bipolar paranoid schizophrenic with chorinic depersion and suicidal tendencies and in urgent need of "One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest" medical / psychological treatment at the business end of a car battery.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:32 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BenB2
I guess doctors are so used to people routinely lying about the regularity of exercise, smoking, drinking, diet, drugs - that they use a double the answer and times the result by three rule of thumb to find the real real truth.

So I guess the problem is when someone does tell the truth they get hammered; so your son saying "yeah I'll tell the truth, I smoked one or two joints at a party once when I was 17/18" gets translated into, "I am an international drugs barren and ship 100 tons a year of pure Columbian to Canada and my Hells Angels gangs distribute it all at gun point for me throughout Canada."

Of course the danger in writing a humorous post on this topic (by the above double x 3 rule) could indicate the author (me) is clearly a deranged bipolar paranoid schizophrenic with chorinic depersion and suicidal tendencies and in urgent need of "One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest" medical / psychological treatment at the business end of a car battery.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 3:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenB2

ROFL!!! Yup, I think you just about hit the nail on the head there, lol